First Light Switch - Help pretty please so lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maximusi
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2016

First Light Switch - Help pretty please so lost!

Good Evening Guys,

I have my controller all setup ready to go (Home Assistant running on Raspberry pi with Aeontec USB Gen5) I have been messing around with non-zwave abilities of the system however the wife has instructed me to go ahead and get the first z-wave automation sorted which happens to be our garden light.

Now this light is a traditional light with a weird build (I don't want to change that at this time) and its controlled by a switch indoors, however, this switch has 3 switches on it:

IMG_20161102_184808.jpg

The first switch controls the outside light. The second switch controls the downstairs hallway lights (there is also another switch that controls these lights) and the third switch controls the upstairs landing lights (again another switch upstairs also controls these lights)

Behind the switch there is an earth cable then for switch one it looks like a red and blue cable connected together and a yellow. The second switch two reds connected together and a blue and the third switch has a yellow and a red cable. (Unless I am not understanding what cables are for what switch):

IMG_20161102_184945.jpg

IMG_20161102_184938.jpg

So what I would like is a 3-way switch that I can connect each of those loads to. I want to retain a physical switch of some description for switching the loads on and off but also the ability to use z-wave to switch the lights on and off. Does anyone have any suggestions pretty please?

Second part of this question is the downstairs and upstairs lights also have additional switches do these have to be upgraded to z-wave switches at the same time or can I leave them as manual old-fashion switches for now:

IMG_20161102_184747.jpg

IMG_20161102_184752.jpg

Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated thanks. Really lost as to what I need. I have so many ideas to try and achieve but I need to get over this first hurdle.

Thanks,
    Max
  • Maximusi
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2016

Suddenly realised this should probably be in the z-wave section of the forum sorry mods! Could one please move it if that is a more suitable place.

Comment

• franktate
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Feb 2007

Hi, have a look at the Fibaro Z-Wave switches (module). These are back boxes which should fit behind your existing light switch. They are wired in-line so you don't need to change any switch covers. Your existing switch will still work in the same way.

Have a google for Fibaro switch manual. This should tell you how to wire the back of the switch for 2 way operation.

The answer to your question about having to change all the switches or just this one is - No, you can change each one individually.

Also note the the Fibaro (and other manufacturers) make a double switch for little more than a single. These are usually identical in size.

An alternative to putting the module behind the existing wall switch is to put one near to the actual light.

Frank

Comment

Working...
      X