Thread: EVOHome WIFI Password problem

Automated Home Lurker

Default EVOHome WIFI Password problem

Hi all,

I've a very strange problem with the wifi conenction of my EVOHome WIFI thermostat.

On 8/11 night I noticed the clock of my EvoHome Wifi thermostat was stuck at 20.35 (8.35pm CET) instead of indicating the correct time that was 21.12 (9.12pm CET).
    I disabled the automatic update feature and manually set the clock to the correct time 9.12pm CET but it was still stuck at the new time. Thus thinking about a problem with the update from the network (even if I had disabled it) I have disconnected my thermostat from the WIFI network and set again manually the correct time but it was again stuck.
    All the features of the thremostat were working fine and it was responsive but of course the scheduling was not working correctly anymore.

Then I decided to reconnect the EvoHome to the WIFI network and I got the following very strange problem:
    It is impossible to set my wifi network password.
    The password request panel now accepts only passwords that are exactly 5, 10, 13 or 26 character long (I didn't try longer). The "Ok" symbol on the bottom right becomes green and clickable only for passwords of those lenghts. In all the other cases it remains gray.
    My password is 8 character long so I can't set it.

I first installed and connected the thermostat to my wifi network on last september with no problems and I didn't disconect it till now.

My firmware versions are:
    Application Software Version: 01.00.02.01
    WiFi Software Version: 01.00.02.00

One strange thing is that the subsequent morning I found the thermostat with the right time set without being connected to the network. Thus the clock problem desappeared in some unknown way but the WIFI problem still persists.

Cheers,
    Giorgio

Automated Home Legend

Sounds like the controller needs a reboot!

Remove it from the stand/dock, prise the front cover surround off with your fingernails and remove one of the batteries for a few seconds then put the battery back in and put everything back.

The "stuck time" problem sounds exactly like what I have had happen to me twice now, as documented in this thread:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...g-this-morning

Seems to be either a bug or a sporadic problem with the time servers used by the controller.

The Wifi problem will most likely be resolved by a reboot as well - it sounds like the controller erroneously thinks your Wifi network is WEP instead of WPA - WEP keys can only be specific lengths (5 characters for 40bit WEP and 13 characters for 128 bit WEP) whereas WPA passphrases can be any length from 8 characters to 63 characters. What kind of Wifi router do you have ? It's definitely using WPA or WPA2 and not WEP ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 11th November 2016 at 03:20 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

i agree - fixed password lengths like this mean it thinks you are using WEP (which I really hope you aren't, as someone walking past your house could crack it using a smartphone!)

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Sounds like the controller needs a reboot!

Remove it from the stand/dock, prise the front cover surround off with your fingernails and remove one of the batteries for a few seconds then put the battery back in and put everything back.

The "stuck time" problem sounds exactly like what I have had happen to me twice now, as documented in this thread:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...g-this-morning

Seems to be either a bug or a sporadic problem with the time servers used by the controller.

The Wifi problem will most likely be resolved by a reboot as well - it sounds like the controller erroneously thinks your Wifi network is WEP instead of WPA - WEP keys can only be specific lengths (5 characters for 40bit WEP and 13 characters for 128 bit WEP) whereas WPA passphrases can be any length from 8 characters to 63 characters. What kind of Wifi router do you have ? It's definitely using WPA or WPA2 and not WEP ?
    My router is TP-Link WR2543ND and WPA2 PSK is enabled.
    I read the thread you mentioned, and I also think it seems to be a bug, but probably not connected to the network servers because it was still present after I disconnected the evohome from the wifi network and recovered without reconnecting.

Just a question: will I loose the scheduling rebooting the Evohome? Is there a way to back up the scheduling?

Thank you!
    Giorgio

Automated Home Legend

No you will not lose anything by rebooting it.

It will take a while to re-establish contact with the various devices in the system after rebooting - up to 30 minutes or so. Or you can go around and press the button on each HR92 to make them check in more quickly, but if you just leave things alone after rebooting it will eventually re-establish contact with all devices and resume normal operation.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 12th November 2016 at 10:35 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

Thank you!
    Just tried, it restarted, asked me confirmation for date and time and now is reacquireing the zones (one has already been reacquired). Nothing has been lost but unfortunately the problem with wifi password still persists
    May be a sort of system-reset (if exist) is needed. Is there a procedure to reset it to factory defaults? Of course I think in this way I'll have to redo all the configurations but I'm afraid it's the only way.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Try also power cycling your router.

Automated Home Lurker

Finally I got the problem solved! ....but really don't understand what happened.
    I did the following:
    1 - Rebooted the router - problem still present
    2 - Changed the WIFI password on the rooter to a password 13 charactrers long and reboot it to activate the change
    3 - Evohome connected to the wifi network with the 13 characters long password
    4 - Disconnected the EvoHome
    5 - Changed the wifi password on the rooter back to the old one 8 characters long and rebooted the router
    6 - Now the Evohome accepted the 8 characters long password and connected with the original password

I really don't know if the problem has been solved thank to the several reboots of the router or because of allowing Evohome to connect with an ad hoc password has recovered something.
    Anyway it's solved!

Thank you everybody for your support!
    Giorgio