Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting the Boiler Cycle time? Boiler cycling every 10mins.

Automated Home Jr Member

Does anyone have any opinion on what the minimum cycles/hour should be for an oil boiler? Noticed mine firing up all the time even when seemingly not needed. With mine being oil, I appreciate it doesn't modulate, which makes me think it's costing me money! Tried to research this after reading a few comments suggesting it should be different, but couldn't find any recommendations. (Sorry for hijacking )

Automated Home Legend

Have you tried contacting the boiler manufacturer ?

TPI controls are pretty common these days, it's not just Evohome that uses TPI, so they must have an opinion on what the most appropriate cycle time and minimum on time would be for their boilers.

BTW if your boiler is a non-modulating type (as is my 20+ year old gas boiler - the burner is only ever on full or off) then TPI is your modulation, when averaged over 10 minutes. From a gas/oil use perspective its the total proportion of time the boiler is running averaged over a period of time that matters for consumption.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 16th November 2016 at 01:11 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for the advice, I've sent an 'enquiry', so we'll see what they say. Surprised neither the installation or user manual mention this though