Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

Automated Home Jr Member

The preliminary results are not what I wanted. Every valve creates the same, strained, whine in the Evohome TRV. Not even the Honeywell Valencia valves provided any sort of comfort that I could achieve lower noise levels by changing the valves which are currently attached to my radiators.

In an additional test I took out the gearing block, set the slider to locked and then changed the set temp. Once the motor was moving I then used my thumb to slowly stop the small cog from spinning. This was to the point of stopping it completely. There was barely any noise at all, which leads me to believe that the source of the noise is the resistance in the gearing block from the teeth/screw thread stress being amplified back through the body of the HR92 unit. The noise was as loud as when connected to my radiator so I still don't think resonance in the pipes or radiator is an issue.

I'll do some more tests and report back here.

Automated Home Sr Member

This is the conclusion I came to. That's why I put a cover over the actuator. It continues to be near-silent now. Only when it fully opens of closes to I notice it working and I have to be wide awake with no other noise in the room to hear it then.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arrghh! View Post
    This is the conclusion I came to. That's why I put a cover over the actuator. It continues to be near-silent now. Only when it fully opens of closes to I notice it working and I have to be wide awake with no other noise in the room to hear it then.
    Hi Arrghh! I'm really pleased you have found a solution that works for you. The problem for me is that it requires too much DIY and far too much expense per room. The cost of those separate thermostats is simply prohibitive for me.

When I have an opportunity, I'll continue to do other tests and see where I get to. In the meantime, I'll see what Richard from The Evohome Shop says about the unit I send him.

Automated Home Legend

Hang on, I thought you said they were too noisy to be used in bedrooms, not too noisy to be used anywhere in the house at all ?

I can see that under certain circumstances (depending largely on room layout, including HR92 location in relation to the sleepers head, and room acoustics/damping) that noise from an HR92 might be an issue in a bedroom with a light sleeper. But they're hardly noisy enough to be too noisy for other rooms in the house, IMHO. You will hear them move from time to time but some noise is inevitable.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm normally a silent forum member, but thought I'd share my Evohome noise reducing experiment with you. Advance warning - this is probably over-engineered!

I've concluded that most of the noise I was experiencing was due to the HR92UK motor noise being amplified through the radiator. I crudely proved that by attaching the head to a new unplumbed valve, set the CYCL to start and touched it against the pipe on the radiator, with an immediate noticible increase in volume.
    After a lot of searching, I discovered the Drayton ETF2, which is a 2m capillary extension for a TRV head. I've fitted the extension to the valve body, and the remote end to the HR92UK. There's a lot of bodging involved to get that final link to work because the pin in the extension is not as fixed or stable as it should be in my opinion. I used two small washers and a small nut to build up the height around the pin in the remote end of the extension, and then I pressed a metal coin from a steel back box and used that to create a large flat area for the HR92UK pin to push down on. Finally, I bodged an angled bracket and fixed it to the wall, using some foam and screw caps to dampen the vibrations against the wall too. The result... it's at least half as quiet (by using the scientific method of 'how much does it annoy me now?'). It's not silent of course, and you still hear it in operation, but I now consider it to be acceptable. It's not the prettiest of results, but it is only a proof of concept. In theory, you can get a 6m extension instead and hide your HR92UK in a more sound proofed location.

And some photos:
    evo1.jpgevo2.jpg
    backbox.jpg

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oshingler View Post
    I'm normally a silent forum member, but thought I'd share my Evohome noise reducing experiment with you. Advance warning - this is probably over-engineered!

I've concluded that most of the noise I was experiencing was due to the HR92UK motor noise being amplified through the radiator. I crudely proved that by attaching the head to a new unplumbed valve, set the CYCL to start and touched it against the pipe on the radiator, with an immediate noticible increase in volume.
    After a lot of searching, I discovered the Drayton ETF2, which is a 2m capillary extension for a TRV head. I've fitted the extension to the valve body, and the remote end to the HR92UK. There's a lot of bodging involved to get that final link to work because the pin in the extension is not as fixed or stable as it should be in my opinion. I used two small washers and a small nut to build up the height around the pin in the remote end of the extension, and then I pressed a metal coin from a steel back box and used that to create a large flat area for the HR92UK pin to push down on. Finally, I bodged an angled bracket and fixed it to the wall, using some foam and screw caps to dampen the vibrations against the wall too. The result... it's at least half as quiet (by using the scientific method of 'how much does it annoy me now?'). It's not silent of course, and you still hear it in operation, but I now consider it to be acceptable. It's not the prettiest of results, but it is only a proof of concept. In theory, you can get a 6m extension instead and hide your HR92UK in a more sound proofed location.

And some photos:
    evo1.jpgevo2.jpg
    backbox.jpg
    What's the metal box for mate?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Jr Member

That was just to show what I meant by steel back box. I used a metal disk that I popped out from one of those back boxes in order to give the HR92 a large surface area to push against. Without that, the pin in the extension and the pin in the HR92 would keep misaligning.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oshingler View Post
    That was just to show what I meant by steel back box. I used a metal disk that I popped out from one of those back boxes in order to give the HR92 a large surface area to push against. Without that, the pin in the extension and the pin in the HR92 would keep misaligning.
    Not recommended to mount wireless devices on metal boxes as it will massively reduce signal range
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yup, but it's not mounted on a metal box, the metal box hasn't been used for anything other than popping out a small round metal disc about the same size as a 10p coin (only thinner) - I was just showing that image to help explain where the metal disk I used inside came from.

Automated Home Legend

What about a piece of timber wedged between the bottom of the radiator and the wall to reduce vibration and resonance. I found simply holding the feeder pipe produced some sound reduction although I don't find the HR92s noisy. As most of the noise comes from the radiator working as an amplifier then something to deaden such may work.