Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi sentry1.
    I feel your frustration.
    I had the same issue but not any more since implementing the diode mod that I wrote up in previous posts. The noise is now 1/3 of previous levels and is now acceptable.
    Although it involves a soldering iron it is a really easy job if you take your time and are remotely handy at diy. Obviously i can understand if your not keen to have a go though but worth a shot instead of the cost of writing off the whole setup.

Cheers

Automated Home Guru

What a fascinating thread! I've only had evohome in my house for a few days so still tweaking the schedules, already I noticed some noise from the bedroom HR92 when it opens the valve at 6am but to be honest I think I am already slowly waking up then anyway. I also hear it start to close around 20-30 mins later, it does it in steps.

I have adjusted the schedule to 6.30 to give me a chance to snooze a bit longer but still hear it start to close just before my alarm at 7am. I only really need about 15 mins of the radiator at full pelt to bring the room up to temp, so if I delay the start to 6.40 or 6.50 I should be able to schedule the "close" whilst in the shower. I haven't tried setting it to 4 or 5am so no idea if it will actually wake me up. I've not had any complaints from the kids yet but will be monitoring the situation.

Having checked some of my HR92s, I seem to have a mixtures of ST2 and ST3, did anyone ever come to any conclusions about the difference?

I also just saw the resistor mod, wow what a genius idea and something I can consider doing if the noise does become an issue.

Automated Home Guru

Last year, when we had to swap bedrooms because of building work, I noticed that the HR92 in the spare room seemed much less intrusive than the one in the master bedroom. I've swapped them over and now we don't get woken up in the way we used to when the radiator comes on.

They obviously vary significantly.

Automated Home Legend

You get used to the noise although I have never found it intrusive. I had a new boiler installed a few months ago. Much much quieter, you can barely hear it running at times but the noise as it fired up used to annoy me. Now, after a few months, it is of no concern. I installed two new radiators at the same time as the boiler change. I insisted that new valves were used and not the old ones (23+ years old) I immediately noticed the HR92s on these seem slightly quieter.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    You get used to the noise although I have never found it intrusive....
    I think that depends on how noisy the individual HR92 is. We never got used to the noise of the one I swapped over, even after over a year - it never failed to wake me up. The one I swapped it with, we did get used to quite quickly.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    I think that depends on how noisy the individual HR92 is. We never got used to the noise of the one I swapped over, even after over a year - it never failed to wake me up. The one I swapped it with, we did get used to quite quickly.
    I suppose the HR92s are never going to cause me much anxiety. I am usually awake and up before the heating fires up. If it is cold enough (below 17.5c at present) in my lounge I hear them operate at 06:00 but the noise is not great. I suspect that may be due to more soft furnishings around. The lounge was decorated the other week. That meant it was more or less emptied and curtains removed. The two HR92s were more audible as a consequence.

Before I bought Evohome I tried LighwaveRF’s offering. They went back. They were really, really noisy.