Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Is there anyone here that finds Evohome too noisy and who ALSO has a pressurised heating system (usually a combi boiler) ?

It made a big difference when I switched from an old-school vented system, although the noise wasn't obtrusive even before that.

i wonder whether all of the people with the noise issue are running unvented systems?

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Is there anyone here that finds Evohome too noisy and who ALSO has a pressurised heating system (usually a combi boiler) ?

It made a big difference when I switched from an old-school vented system, although the noise wasn't obtrusive even before that.

i wonder whether all of the people with the noise issue are running unvented systems?

P.
    Interesting point. You have mentioned this before. I am sure I once read about the conductivity of sound and pressure. I can't help here though, mine is a good old fashioned boiler.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post

P.
    I am running with a combi and they are noisy unfortunately.

I am running a pressured system and have noise issues.

Someone told me maybe a year ago that new valves were coming onto the market that only made a noise when the system changed the set temperature. They achieved this by being based upon old style thermal expansion valves that had their setting alterable through a motor varying thickness within the mechanism. Thus ongoing regulation required no motor movement. I suppose at setpoint change they could do this really slowly to minimise noise too. Apparently they had also tried a local heating element to achieve offset but that unsurprisingly was impractical for battery life.

I never found out the manufacturer or if these ever made it to market or not.

K

I think old-school TRVs have quite a degree of hysteresis, so I don't think such an arrangement would be able to maintain the precise temperature control (and thus comfort levels) that you see with Evohome and similar systems.

Automated Home Sr Member

Just to draw attention to a mod proposed by DIY2 in another thread that is claimed (I haven't tried it yet, waiting for the heating season) to reduce the noise: https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbul...ll=1#post40736

Would be very interested to hear if anyone else tries it and how well they find it works.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    Just to draw attention to a mod proposed by DIY2 in another thread that is claimed (I haven't tried it yet, waiting for the heating season) to reduce the noise: https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbul...ll=1#post40736

Would be very interested to hear if anyone else tries it and how well they find it works.
    Hi, yes would be good to hear if it works for others too. The noise on mine has dropped to 1/3 of its previous level.

Automated Home Jr Member

Oh goodness. Winterís nearly here and my Evohome system is getting ready to wake up! Cue all the family discussions about replacing the whole lot due to noise from the TRVs.

Oh and by way of an update, we have an unvented system and always have since before we installed the Evohome. It doesnít make a difference :-(

Can you take your family back and get a refund or exchange?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry1 View Post
    Oh goodness. Winterís nearly here and my Evohome system is getting ready to wake up! Cue all the family discussions about replacing the whole lot due to noise from the TRVs.

Oh and by way of an update, we have an unvented system and always have since before we installed the Evohome. It doesnít make a difference :-(
    But how much noise do the family make? Surely greater?