• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIY2
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2019

Not Helpful!

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
    I guess there has to be some noise and even if it is reduced there will be some who will find it an issue. However, to be actually woken by the Evohome TRV operating to my mind indicates perhaps some should consider their sleeping habits. I know, I am contentious in saying that, but such is the level the noise these make, to be woken by them would indicate a person is not really asleep and, whilst not aware of it, is perhaps already coming around from such. That being the case, if one needs an alarm use them as such. My bedroom TRV has woken me up. But that is not entirely correct. It comes on at 06:00 and for me to hear it I know I am already surfacing from sleep and in my case it is a welcome intrusion for I normally get up at 05:15 and it means I have overslept! If it came on during the night when deep sleep pervades I certainly would not hear it and such wold be the case for many.

If they are an issue in the bedroom there is an easy answer. Adjust the coming on time to one when you know you should be getting up or beginning to surface. It is an easy answer and avoids any intrusion. If one person surfaces earlier than his or her partner then adjust for the sleepiest. If you are getting up before the radiator has come on it is never that cold (I can only speak from living in the North of England) and as you are getting up you can always go to a warmer room for your first coffee. I really do not see this as the big issue some want it to be.

Now if you really want noise try the first issue of the LightwaveRF TRVs, they really were horrendous!
    Hi - sorry but not at all helpful nor understanding.

I really dislike posts that trivialise other peoples issues and worse, then try and place the blame for people getting woken up by HR92s onto the people themselves instead of the product.

HR92s DO make a noise, thats a fact. Visitors noticce and comment on it -so its not just me. You dont have a problem - great for you, and perhaps the ones you have are quieter (they are known to vary from unit to unit) or perhaps you are used to a higher ambient noise ( I live in a very quiet rural house) or perhaps you would be surprised at the level of noise thay produce in my house? Whatever the reason, please dont trivialise issues other people have. Its very dismissive. Getting woken up early is not trivial, neither for me nor for friends staying over nor for others on this forum.

I agree, of course people are not in a deep sleep when the heating comes on - that doesnt mean its ok for it to wake you up earlier. Your easy-answer suggestion (whilst I appreciate the effort) of using the heating as an alarm clock is quite silly. I live in scotland, it gets cold - I dont want to wake up in the cold - thats why I have a heating system that can come before I get up. Why should I accept waking up in the cold - just because I invested a lot of money in advanced heating controls? I didnt have to before with cheap TRVs.

As I said in my post I dont care if other manufacturers are more noisy - that doesnt help - this issue (granted for a minority) need not exist. It can and should have been designed out. I know, I'm an electronics engineer and understand motor drives well.

I hope if Honeywell produce another generation of these, they pay this some attention and re-design the drive. I supect not.

Anyway thanks for the chat.

Comment

• DanD
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Feb 2016

I do think it's worth trying something like a lithium spray grease on the inner teeth of the main gear which sits on the TRV body and is separate from the HR92 to see if this reduces/alters the sound to a tolerable level. I'm fortunately not bothered by the sound that comes from the HR92, but I am aware of it if I listen out. I thought I'd do some testing today on a couple of mine just to see whether it makes a noticeable difference as I'd been using some of the WD40 white lithium grease spray for another purpose and noticed today's posts. I found that it definitely reduced the sound level emitted (far less chattering of the gears) when the HR92 first calibrates itself after being re-attached.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Also, if the sound is felt to be too intrusive and if you are able to do it, a piece of wood wedged between the radiator and the wall can help reduce the resonance created by the radiator and reduce its amplification of sounds. As mentioned though in a different posting elsewhere in the forum, we are all different. Some happily live next to main roads and railway lines. I am pleased I don’t!

Comment

• filbert
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by DIY2 View Post
          I agree, of course people are not in a deep sleep when the heating comes on - that doesnt mean its ok for it to wake you up earlier. Your easy-answer suggestion (whilst I appreciate the effort) of using the heating as an alarm clock is quite silly. I live in scotland, it gets cold - I dont want to wake up in the cold - thats why I have a heating system that can come before I get up.
          I set the rad to come on at about the time we wake up, which avoids the problem. It works for us as we don't get up straight away and the room has time to warm up.
          However, it does mean that I can't use optimisation as that would make the rad come on at variable times, depending on how cold it is.

I gather there used to be an option to enable optimisation on a zone basis - that would be much better than the present all or nothing.

I haven't got round to adding a separate room sensor and wrapping the HR92 in sound deadening material - so I guess that means the above method is good enough for the time being,

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Perhaps I am fortunate in that it is not important to have a room up to temperature when I get up as rooms heat up quickly anyway and it is never that cold to be concerned about it. The house may drop to 12C or less on the coldest nights, (I live in the NE of England) but the warmth is noticeable within 10 minutes of the heating coming on and even then 12C is not cold. I ran optimisation for some time after I first installed (December 2014) but it failed to impress me. I found it erratic. It would bring the heating on far too early and never seemed to learn that a room is up to temperature in about 10 to 15 minutes or getting close thereto. I abandoned it. My house is a detached 4 bedroom, new in 1997 and am still on my original boiler!

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Is there anyone here that finds Evohome too noisy and who ALSO has a pressurised heating system (usually a combi boiler) ?

It made a big difference when I switched from an old-school vented system, although the noise wasn't obtrusive even before that.

i wonder whether all of the people with the noise issue are running unvented systems?

P.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                Is there anyone here that finds Evohome too noisy and who ALSO has a pressurised heating system (usually a combi boiler) ?

It made a big difference when I switched from an old-school vented system, although the noise wasn't obtrusive even before that.

i wonder whether all of the people with the noise issue are running unvented systems?

P.
                Interesting point. You have mentioned this before. I am sure I once read about the conductivity of sound and pressure. I can't help here though, mine is a good old fashioned boiler.

Comment

• DIY2
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post

P.
                  I am running with a combi and they are noisy unfortunately.

Comment

• Kevin
                    • Jan 2004

I am running a pressured system and have noise issues.

Someone told me maybe a year ago that new valves were coming onto the market that only made a noise when the system changed the set temperature. They achieved this by being based upon old style thermal expansion valves that had their setting alterable through a motor varying thickness within the mechanism. Thus ongoing regulation required no motor movement. I suppose at setpoint change they could do this really slowly to minimise noise too. Apparently they had also tried a local heating element to achieve offset but that unsurprisingly was impractical for battery life.

I never found out the manufacturer or if these ever made it to market or not.

K

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

I think old-school TRVs have quite a degree of hysteresis, so I don't think such an arrangement would be able to maintain the precise temperature control (and thus comfort levels) that you see with Evohome and similar systems.

Comment

• filbert
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Oct 2017

Just to draw attention to a mod proposed by DIY2 in another thread that is claimed (I haven't tried it yet, waiting for the heating season) to reduce the noise: https://www.wordpress-1219309-438749...ll=1#post40736

Would be very interested to hear if anyone else tries it and how well they find it works.

Comment

• DIY2
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Just to draw attention to a mod proposed by DIY2 in another thread that is claimed (I haven't tried it yet, waiting for the heating season) to reduce the noise: https://www.wordpress-1219309-438749...ll=1#post40736

Would be very interested to hear if anyone else tries it and how well they find it works.
                          Hi, yes would be good to hear if it works for others too. The noise on mine has dropped to 1/3 of its previous level.

Comment

• Sentry1
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Oct 2016

Oh goodness. Winter’s nearly here and my Evohome system is getting ready to wake up! Cue all the family discussions about replacing the whole lot due to noise from the TRVs.

Oh and by way of an update, we have an unvented system and always have since before we installed the Evohome. It doesn’t make a difference :-(

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

Can you take your family back and get a refund or exchange?

Comment

• G4RHL
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Sentry1 View Post
                                Oh goodness. Winter’s nearly here and my Evohome system is getting ready to wake up! Cue all the family discussions about replacing the whole lot due to noise from the TRVs.

Oh and by way of an update, we have an unvented system and always have since before we installed the Evohome. It doesn’t make a difference :-(
                                But how much noise do the family make? Surely greater?

Comment

Working...
                                X