Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry1 View Post
    (and especially at the time of "the dawn chorus" when all valves get opened upstairs simultaneously).
    I take it you don't use optimal start then ?

With optimal start enabled even if all the rooms are scheduled for the same time because the predicted warm up time for each room will be different the actual start times of all radiators will be staggered instead of all occurring at once.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    I take it you don't use optimal start then ?

With optimal start enabled even if all the rooms are scheduled for the same time because the predicted warm up time for each room will be different the actual start times of all radiators will be staggered instead of all occurring at once.
    No - and there's a reason for that......I don't want to wake the kids any earlier than absolutely necessary!

I had hoped to use optimal start - it was one of the interesting features that made me make the purchase - but no, I think that will have to wait until I can quieten these things down.

Automated Home Sr Member

Just been reading this thread and here's a thought.
    We have Evohome for about a year - it is a good thing!
    Has some wrinkles and API access could be a lot better.

After the complete silence from old mechanical TRV's the motor driven Evo's were immediately noticeable. Teenager daughter complained the most (of course)...
    But I knew it's like people living next to train lines or under flight paths - given time your brain simply accepts it as background noise and no longer will react to it.

ok - we all know that of course, but after reading this thread I realised our Evo TRVs were quiter now than at the beginning, and it wasn't just the acoustic acclimatisation.
    What had happened during this first year was the water pressure in the heating system have been slowly been increased from 1 Bar to 1.5-1.8 Bar - this was because of residual micro bubbles and our mains water pressure had increased so that the "top-up" had allowed increase filling pressure (we now have about 2 Bar mains water pressure).

Could it be that the increased rad/pipe pressure had increased the load on the rad Honeywell valves such that the force required from the Evo TRV pin meant the component parts have been squeezed together and actually reduced the noise level (akin to not "rattling"). Of course, the other side of the fence to this is that the battery life will be shorter due to the increased power requirement.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MrB; 8th December 2016 at 05:26 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

The increased pressure might also reduce the resonance from the rads and piework?

Automated Home Sr Member

So, the plot thickens....

I was at my mother's house today where I also have an Evohome system installed. I tested two of her HR92s and they were considerably quieter than the ones in my house.

This is a good thing, potentially, as I now should be able to swap some components between systems which may help to work out what's happening.

First of all, is there a difference in the HR92s? Visually, I would say not.

The ID number under the LCD display is

"HR92UK" - same for all of them
    "1.01" - same for all of them
    The numbers which differ are then formatted "XXXX X STX" but there's no real pattern between the ones in each house other then mine are "161X X ST2" and in my mother's house they are "153X X ST3", so make of that what you will.

Possibly more relevant are the valves. In my house, I have valves with no obvious manufacturer's markings on them, but they don't need adapters to take the HR92s. In my mother's house, the valves are TPK 43 (Travis Perkins) valves with plastic adapters to allow the HR92s to be fitted.

I'm not saying the valves are making the difference (testing required first!) but it's one thing to consider.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Does your mum have carpets and you have hard floors? Things like that will make the biggest difference.

Automated Home Sr Member

The environment between the two houses and the size and types of rad are very similar.

If you could hear the HR92s working in both houses, you would agree there is something else going on. TBH, I can understand why some people are unhappy now I have heard the difference between 'quiet' and 'noisy' actuators/valves!
    Last edited by Arrghh!; 8th December 2016 at 07:36 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

Also, are they both pressurised or unpressurised?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Does your mum have carpets and you have hard floors? Things like that will make the biggest difference.
    I agree - the room acoustics would probably be the biggest factor from one installation to another. The HR92 in a couple of our rooms seem quite noisy - bathroom and hallway. Both have hard floors and the bathroom of course has hard walls and no soft furniture in it...so the sound tends to reverberate around the room.

On the other hand in the living room that is carpeted and has sofas, the noise is audible if the room is quiet but barely noticeable, and if the TV is on at all we never hear it. If a room sounds acoustically "live" when people are holding a conversation an HR92 in that room will probably sound noisy. If the room is well damped and "quiet" during a conversation an HR92 is likely to be quiet too.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by fulltopuk View Post
    Also, are they both pressurised or unpressurised?
    My system is unpressurised, my mum's is pressurised.

Hoping to have enough time to carry out some testing tomorrow on mine.