Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    Actually they convect heat.

A very small proportion is radiated.
    Uh, that is going to depend greatly on the type of radiator.

Modern dual panel radiators with large convecting fins especially type 22's - yes, more heat is put into the room via convection than IR radiation. Older radiators without convecting fins - not so much...

Even with a modern convector I'd say its only about 60-70% convection and the rest direct IR radiation. You can work it out roughly by comparing the effective heat output of a convector and non convecting panel of the same dimensions - if they both have the same surface area and surface temperature they must both put the same amount of heat into the room by direct radiation, and the difference is mostly the convective output. (Keeping in mind that the non convector will still convect a little bit)

Our living room radiators (3 in a bay window) are old 80's style dual panel's with no convecting fins - so they do convect a little bit through the gaps between the panels, but nothing like a modern convector. Put a baby's cot and an arm chair in front of them, even half a meter away - and both of which have plenty of gap under them to allow convection to continue unhindered, and you sure do notice how much more the radiators struggle to warm the room in very cold conditions. It's a big difference with most of the direct IR lost on that type of radiator.

Also blocking off the direct IR radiation by obscuring a radiator can make a room of the same temperature feel cooler due to lack of that direct IR on your face and skin. Same reason 20 degrees in the sun feels much warmer than 20 degrees indoors... The IR radiation warms your skin slightly above what ambient air alone would.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 6th November 2017 at 05:07 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    Actually they convect heat.

A very small proportion is radiated.
    Unless you paint them matt black. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    I have just had an Evohome system installed and was surprised by the noise the valves make. I didn't notice any reference to this in the reviews I read.

We do find the noise intrusive - it's not that it's particularly loud. We occasionally get mice in the roof space, for example, and the noise they make scrabbling around is not loud (I doubt it would register on a noise meter) but it can wake me up in the night. Hopefully, we'll get used to it and not notice it - like the chiming clocks and other noises people have mentioned.

My first attempt at getting round this is to set the bedroom temperature very low overnight (after all, the heating was off overnight with the last system) so that the valve won't operate. Then, as optimisation is turned on, to tell it that the room is occupied later so that the valve will open around the time the alarm is set to go off. That seems to be more of an art than a science, though.

Maybe I'll turn off optimisation altogether and then I can can controll when the noise will start - and 'optimise' manually by tweaking the start times.

Would be nice if the valves had a 'quiet mode' where they opened much more slowxy, which would, I expect make less noise.
    Wait 7-10 days. The valves are 'overly' active to begin with whilst they learn. After a while they move in smaller increments.
    Dont turn optimisation off.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    It's certainly true that radiators radiate sound as well as heat.
    If you have a room where the HR92 is particularly noisy try some experiments to deaden both the rad and the pipework. Things like jamming a tennis ball (or similar) behind the radiator to stop it resonating as much, and try jamming something (a bit of wood, perhaps) behind the pipework leading to the TRV.
    I am surprised that the Honeywell marketing team hasnít latched on to the possibility of offering a free box of tennis balls for every 6 HR92s bought. A low tech solution to a high tech problem.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    Wait 7-10 days. The valves are 'overly' active to begin with whilst they learn. After a while they move in smaller increments.
    Dont turn optimisation off.
    Bring back per room optimisation and we won't, I swear.....

Automated Home Legend

If you hold the radiator or the pipe the TRV is attached to whilst it is operating it becomes clear what is amplifying the noise. The radiator is bound to. Something to bridge the gap between wall and radiator - a tennis ball, not thought of that - helps although I have never bothered.

Optimisation? Don’t turn it off? I have expressed my views in the past about optimisation. After letting it run for many many months I got fed up with it turning the heating on far too early despite having it set to the minimum advanced on of 60 minutes. A waste of energy for me. If the heating comes on at the same time as I may get up or come into the house, that’s fine, it takes such a short time for it warm up. Also I found optimisation turned the heating off too early. After trying it off and on for long periods since December 2014, for me it’s a waste.

Automated Home Legend

Optimisation does work. But in its current all or nothing mode it is a massive step backwards. Why remove something that worked, I don't know. Simplicity has been mentioned before as one reason but.....the result is now I don't use that simple feature.

Automated Home Legend

Optimisation seems to be working really well for me lately - most rooms are warming up to the set point no more than about 15 minutes early, which is ideal.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Optimisation does work. But in its current all or nothing mode it is a massive step backwards. Why remove something that worked, I don't know. Simplicity has been mentioned before as one reason but.....the result is now I don't use that simple feature.
    Sorry, but I am not convinced. I don't think bringing the heating on an hour early when 30 minutes, or even 15, would suffice, says it is working. Nor turning it off too early. This says it is failing for it is not optimising. There is nothing special about my house it is a 20 year old detached estate house with double glazing and cavity insulation and the usual loft insulation in the NE of England. Plus a 20 year old boiler, its its birthday next week!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Optimisation seems to be working really well for me lately - most rooms are warming up to the set point no more than about 15 minutes early, which is ideal.
    Optimisation is also working well for me.