Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Sometimes just putting a small piece of wood, pressed against the side of the metal part of the valve with the other end touching the wall may be suffice to stop any resonating. Does not always work but worth a try if the sounds bothers you.
    I've tried all the tips on reducing noise from the valves including a tennis ball behind the radiator and grease in the cogs. It might have reduced it slightly but the valves are still loud enough to function as an effective alarm clock in our bedroom during the heating season.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm seriously considering EvoHome but anticipate that noisy TRVs would be a deal breaker as far as my wife is concerned, so this long thread is an excellent source of information. From what I've read, I can use a single wireless EvoHome TRV without a controller and set the target temp on that to see what the noise is like before investing in the full system?
    Is that correct?

Automated Home Legend

Yes you can run a single HR92 as a standalone TRV for testing purposes - this is exactly what I did before I bought the rest of the system.

You would just set the temperature manually with the dial as with a manual TRV. (Except it will be set in degrees C instead of an arbitrary 1-5 scale)

Keep in mind the difference in noise from one room to another depends on the radiator and acoustics of the room not the HR92 itself, so you would want to test it in multiple rooms where you think noise might be a concern, such as bedrooms.

Just because it seems quiet in one room doesn't mean it will be elsewhere.

In our house the (hard floored) hallway HR92 seems quite noisy while ironically the bedroom ones are pretty quiet, and don't wake up either us or our 2 year old son - it's all down to the room acoustics and mechanical properties of the radiators themselves as the HR92's don't differ significantly in noise if you swap them between rooms.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 15th August 2018 at 05:23 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Yes you can run a single HR92 as a standalone TRV for testing purposes - this is exactly what I did before I bought the rest of the system.

You would just set the temperature manually with the dial as with a manual TRV. (Except it will be set in degrees C instead of an arbitrary 1-5 scale)

Keep in mind the difference in noise from one room to another depends on the radiator and acoustics of the room not the HR92 itself, so you would want to test it in multiple rooms where you think noise might be a concern, such as bedrooms.

Just because it seems quiet in one room doesn't mean it will be elsewhere.

In our house the (hard floored) hallway HR92 seems quite noisy while ironically the bedroom ones are pretty quiet, and don't wake up either us or our 2 year old son - it's all down to the room acoustics and mechanical properties of the radiators themselves as the HR92's don't differ significantly in noise if you swap them between rooms.
    Thanks, that's great. It's only the main bedroom I'd be concerned about noise so I'd test it in there.

Automated Home Jr Member

Just a quick update on this. Having focused on house renovations, we have not had the funds to make a major change. This has meant that we have kept our Evohome system in place. It is still too noisy and we have not got used to it. We are now simply waiting for a quieter and hopefully cheaper system to come onto the market.

In order not to wake the kids, we have removed the HR92s from their rooms and replaced them with standard TRVs. We have then kept a HR92 in place in the spare room. When this is activated, the water also circulates through the kids radiators until the standard TRVs close the valves.

We did have some of the HR92s replaced a long time ago however they are still too loud.

I am still incredulous that Honeywell think this is acceptable performance at this cost.

Automated Home Legend

Shame but we all have different levels of acceptance and it follows what is OK for one is not for another.

Four years + of using Evohome and the noise does not bother me. It is unobtrusive. Guests wonder what it may be at first when they first hear a distant whirring but do not find it an issue. There are always other noises abounding in the home - the boiler starting up, the shower pump, expansion and contraction in the structure and at times in the pipes. During the day we accept these, including passing traffic (although we have none).

One member in this forum I think uses the sound of the valve as an alarm to get up in the morning. You could easily set the start time to just after the children are meant to wake and/or get up. Depending on your property it will soon warm up. I disclose my age I suppose, by saying central heating was a luxury as a child. Heating in bedrooms?! I am up before the heating comes on. My house is 21 years old. Rooms are warm enough within 5 minutes or so. Hence the optimisation setting has always been a waste for me.

As an experiment I did find that the resonance from the radiator, which is really the loudspeaker for the valve and some radiators are worse than others, can be reduced with a small piece of wood wedged between the valve pipe connection and the wall. It absorbs the resonance.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I think the trouble is that once you've decided a particular noise is obtrusive you become ultra sensitive to it.

many years ago we lived in a flat, and the bloke downstairs used to play his music really loudly. It was very annoying. Eventually we convinced him to turn it down, but after the initial stuff even when he was playing at perfectly acceptable volumes we'd be pulling our hair out.

As has been said many times in this thread, yes you can hear HR92s, but only faintly.

If I'm just on the point of waking up then the bedroom TRV will occasionally wake me. But during normal sleep I won't even notice it.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm still finding them very noisy, but I have to admit that I'm now in my third winter with Evohome and have mostly got used to them. I've removed my convoluted silencing method and left the HR92s in their natural state for aesthetic reasons (and a comment about 'what is that on the wall?'). The noise freaks my visitors out so if Honeywell ever release a premium 'quiet' version then I'll definitely replace all units in the bedrooms.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by oshingler View Post
    ...if Honeywell ever release a premium 'quiet' version then I'll definitely replace all units in the bedrooms.
    Me too.

Some form of sound deadening wrap plus a standalone sensor is on in my plan - I need a table top sensor as the bedroom has sloping ceilings and the only vertical wall space available is right by the door or over the radiator. I recall such a sensor being mentioned but can't track it down at the moment

Automated Home Jr Member

From my observations I think the noise problem is mainly to do with the type of radiator and how it's fitted to the wall. The motor noise is amplified when attached to the valve. On newer radiators in my house they are quieter, and the same on smaller radiators - it's the older and larger single panel radiators fitted to the cavity walls with un-baffled metal brackets that are the noisiest. Without a large-scale test of different radiator types and wall fixings, it would be very difficult to narrow down the exact cause.