Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I don't find them noisy. Unobtrusive is in my case a more appropriate word. What are noisy, unless they have done something about them, are LightwaveRF 's unit. A dreadful noise. Mine went back and I went for Evohome. No regrets. It just of course may be your valves as mentioned by others and HR92 having more work to do. On two of my radiators I have had to use the adaptor and on one now the HR92 occasionally fires off. I suspect the valve is getting old and sticking causing more effort from the HR92 although it has not become noisier. I have replacement valves for all my radiators and just waiting for one original to fail and then I'll replace the lot. I am not sure there can be a silent unit as there is work to do but the noise is barely noticeable.
    Thanks for that, however my HR92s are obtrusive for sure. And looking at those videos I posted above it would appear you can at least do something about the noise from LightwaveRF units. All my valves are pretty new and only two of them needed adapters. One of the adapters, if anything, is slightly more quiet but not by much.

I'm not expecting silent, but something that doesn't turn the heads of guests to ask "what was THAT" and that doesn't wake up me, my wife and my children would be a great start!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    What make valves do you have? I find that the HR92 are noiser if you have adapters.
    They are all new and compatible with the standard HR92 apart from two which need adapters. One of those is in the bathroom and one in the master bedroom.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I agree with DBMandrake - each HR92 is different. I also don't hear the one in the bedroom at all but the one in the hall (just outside the bedroom) is relatively loud. Saying that, if I am awake it is loud but it doesn't wake me up and I am a light sleeper.
    That doesn't fill me with confidence in the manufacturing capability of Honeywell if each one is different. Surely that can't be the case? What about swapping a "loud" one with a "quiet" one in terms of location. Perhaps it is the valve rather than the HR92 - that would seem to make more sense.

Automated Home Sr Member

My 10 HR92 make almost no noise at all. If every other noise source is off (bedroom at night) then you can hear them if you really listen.

First step, replace one radiator valve with a quality Honeywell valve and try that - I would bet that would solve it.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

But what make are they please?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    But what make are they please?
    Hi Top Brake - who was that directed to? What do you mean?

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

To you. What make are your TRV bodies please

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry1 View Post
    However the Evohome TRVs are incredibly noisy. This is really significant and pretty much means evohome is useless for us. I have two small children and they were a big reason for the investment - when necessary I wanted to keep their rooms warm at night without heating the whole house. However the noise from the HR92s wake them up on every adjustment.
    My son complained that it was waking him up, so I've simply set his to a low 8C overnight for now. I do wonder if there was some connection with that valve having comms errors for the first couple of nights (when he was complaining) and switching to detached 20C mode and / or doing something like cycling the valve when comms was reconnected. I was going to try and test noise of each valve to see if there is a significantly quieter one, or revert to a normal TRV head on there so that on cold nights a different valve can call for heat and some will go his way if needed. But the latter sounds like a poor solution overall...

Automated Home Legend

Not sure what you mean by "detached 20c mode" - when an HR92 looses contact with the controller it will just remain at its last configured set point, it doesn't revert back to 20c. I tested this not long ago to see what the system behaviour is if the controller goes offline. It also doesn't cycle the valve when comms is re-established, unless a new set point had been scheduled in the intervening time that would cause a set point change. If the set point is the same before and afterwards it will not make an adjustment.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tinker View Post
    My son complained that it was waking him up, so I've simply set his to a low 8C overnight for now. I do wonder if there was some connection with that valve having comms errors for the first couple of nights (when he was complaining) and switching to detached 20C mode and / or doing something like cycling the valve when comms was reconnected. I was going to try and test noise of each valve to see if there is a significantly quieter one, or revert to a normal TRV head on there so that on cold nights a different valve can call for heat and some will go his way if needed. But the latter sounds like a poor solution overall...
    Sorry to hear you're in the same boat regarding Evohome waking up the kids. As you can see in their response above, one of Honeywell suggestions was to put something other than HR92 on the radiator. I'm not happy to spend that much cash on the whole system only to take away control from one of the two main rooms I bought the system for in the first place.