X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arrghh!
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2015

You need to take one of the HR92s off the valve completely so it's not under load and then test it. It won't get any quieter than that. If that's still too noisy for you then unless you are prepared to do something like covering the HR92 to dampen the vibration through it's plastic body, you're unlikely to end up happy.

Testing with a noise meter to make this more quantifiable is a good idea, but as Paul said, noise pollution is very subjective and an annoying noise to someone might not even be registered by someone else.

Also, using a phone app is not really going to give us accurate results if we're trying to compare each other's HR92s. Even professional sound meters need to be calibrated regularly to ensure they give accurate results and unless everyone uses the same model of phone and is very careful about how they take the readings I'm afraid we're going to end up with misleading data.

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Originally posted by Arrghh! View Post
      You need to take one of the HR92s off the valve completely so it's not under load and then test it. It won't get any quieter than that. If that's still too noisy for you then unless you are prepared to do something like covering the HR92 to dampen the vibration through it's plastic body, you're unlikely to end up happy.

Testing with a noise meter to make this more quantifiable is a good idea, but as Paul said, noise pollution is very subjective and an annoying noise to someone might not even be registered by someone else.

Also, using a phone app is not really going to give us accurate results if we're trying to compare each other's HR92s. Even professional sound meters need to be calibrated regularly to ensure they give accurate results and unless everyone uses the same model of phone and is very careful about how they take the readings I'm afraid we're going to end up with misleading data.
      I am not sure what any of this proves. HR92s do whirr and the whirring makes a noise. The whirring is most noticeable when the valves first open as it lasts longer than the short temperature variation adjustments. Most TRV pins are sufficiently strong to resist being pressed in by a finger. I check mine each summer and press them in with the bottom of a hammer. when we have visitors, they all notice the valves opening and closing.

Comment

• Arrghh!
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2015

It doesn't prove anything at the moment, but if we can discuss the level of noise objectively rather than subjectively, there is a possibility those who find it objectionable can find a way to make their installation quieter.

I personally don't think much can be done other than suggestions I've already made, but I keep an open mind and although it doesn't bother me that much I would be interested in making mine quieter if it was possible without too much more money being spent.

Comment

• Cchris
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Nov 2015

Quick spreay of silicone wd40 into the gears underneath?

Comment

• Sentry1
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2016

Went into Screwfix today to get some plumbing stuff. While I was in there I got them to open some TRV boxes for me so I could test the pressure required to move the pins. The Terrier TRVs (Product ID 9338G) had a much wider "pin" and seemed easier to push down. Now it could be that the width of the pin was the only factor in this "feeling" of less resistance but I may well get one and give it a go. At the very least I'm going to take an HR92 into the shop and try it out on the adapters in question.

Will keep you posted.

Comment

• Sentry1
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Arrghh! View Post

Hi "Arrghh!", As soon as I noticed the issue when I first bought the system that is exactly what I did. Testing the HR92s when not under load yields a far quieter result. I ant to get as close to that as i possibly can before I give in and send it all back.

As you can tell, I like everything else about the system except the noise, so I'm leaving no stone unturned in finding a solution to this.

Slight additional negative - Honeywell aren't helping in any way. You'd think they'd be really keen to help fix this and then share the information for other customers. Apart from the email from them in my first post in this thread I have had nothing from them as a company.

Fingers crossed that changes soon.

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Sentry1 View Post
                Went into Screwfix today to get some plumbing stuff. While I was in there I got them to open some TRV boxes for me so I could test the pressure required to move the pins. The Terrier TRVs (Product ID 9338G) had a much wider "pin" and seemed easier to push down. Now it could be that the width of the pin was the only factor in this "feeling" of less resistance but I may well get one and give it a go. At the very least I'm going to take an HR92 into the shop and try it out on the adapters in question.

Will keep you posted.
                Have a word with Richard at The EvohomeShop about Honeywell Valencia bodies which do not need the plastic adapters. He has a lot of Evohome installation experience.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

I have Honeywell Valencia bodies here. Not 'silent', but certainly not noisy.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

How hard are the Valencia pins to push down ? I have peglar bulldog valves and they are quite hard to press down. I can only just push them down with a thumb. I also have at least two of them now that are "sticky" so I'm thinking of replacing them with valencias next year.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

You will need to take account of the fact it could seem louder in the shop as you are next to it and it does not replicate your home environment. Perhaps see if you can try it on somebody else's radiator.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Also bear in mind the point I made near the start of this thread about pipework and rads acting as resonators. Try wedging a towel down the back of the rad, as tightly as you can. Only as a temporary measure, of course, because it'll affect the performance. But it'll show whether the rad is amplifying the sound. Maybe also wedge something similar behind the pipes.

Comment

• Arrghh!
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                          Also bear in mind the point I made near the start of this thread about pipework and rads acting as resonators. Try wedging a towel down the back of the rad, as tightly as you can. Only as a temporary measure, of course, because it'll affect the performance. But it'll show whether the rad is amplifying the sound. Maybe also wedge something similar behind the pipes.
                          This is where I feel gains could be made, but it's easier said than done as if the rad is resonating, how can you isolate the HR92 from it or dampen the vibrations without covering the actuator or sticking something on/around the actuator/radiator?

The fact is, the motor has a gear attached to it's spindle and that gear engages with the one on the top of the valve body, so there's going to be very little noise generated just from that interaction. Even if that was a worm gear, I doubt it would make much difference. IMO the noise is coming from the vibrations produced by the motor itself resonating through the HR92 body and anything it's in contact with.

I'd be interested myself to see if there's a noticeable difference between a Valencia valve and other makes.
                          Last edited by Arrghh!; 6 December 2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• rotor
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Aug 2015

I replaced all my valve bodies with Honeywell Valencia ones shortly after installing Evohome. I did it because installing the Evohome revealed that one of the valves was stuck open, and one was stuck closed. I did them all because it was such a job to drain everything down that I didn't want to risk another problem with what were probably old and crummy valves. I couldn't be happier with having done this. The valves are amazing quality, and although I certainly had no noise problem before replacing them, with the Valencias there is certainly no complaints. A recent visitor ended up replacing his other brand (not sure which) system which truly was waking them up at night, and was amazed at how quiet the HR92 were.

Comment

• Sentry1
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                              I have Honeywell Valencia bodies here. Not 'silent', but certainly not noisy.
                              Thanks for that. V useful info I'll check them out.

Comment

• Sentry1
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by rotor View Post
                                I replaced all my valve bodies with Honeywell Valencia ones shortly after installing Evohome. I did it because installing the Evohome revealed that one of the valves was stuck open, and one was stuck closed. I did them all because it was such a job to drain everything down that I didn't want to risk another problem with what were probably old and crummy valves. I couldn't be happier with having done this. The valves are amazing quality, and although I certainly had no noise problem before replacing them, with the Valencias there is certainly no complaints. A recent visitor ended up replacing his other brand (not sure which) system which truly was waking them up at night, and was amazed at how quiet the HR92 were.
                                Having installed new valves for 10 rads when we got them replaced 18 months ago, it would be irritating to have to replace them. However, if I could prove that it would make Evohome less noisy then I will do it!

Comment

Working...
                                X