Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 211

Thread: Evohome is Noisy - please help me

  1. #61
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Also bear in mind the point I made near the start of this thread about pipework and rads acting as resonators. Try wedging a towel down the back of the rad, as tightly as you can. Only as a temporary measure, of course, because it'll affect the performance. But it'll show whether the rad is amplifying the sound. Maybe also wedge something similar behind the pipes.
    I hear what you're saying, and I'm sure that the sound is travelling through the pipework to a degree. However the primary sound source is definitely the HR92s, not the rads or pipes.

  2. #62
    Automated Home Sr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I've got some Valencia valves arriving today and I'm going to see if fitting one to one of our rads makes a difference. I'll do some before and after noise measurements and post the results here.

  3. #63
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrghh! View Post
    I've got some Valencia valves arriving today and I'm going to see if fitting one to one of our rads makes a difference. I'll do some before and after noise measurements and post the results here.
    Wow that is great news! I'm so pleased you're going to share the results. If possible can you attach a HR92 to a valve before its fitted and then afterwards too?

    Thanks loads in advance.

  4. #64
    Automated Home Sr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentry1 View Post
    Wow that is great news! I'm so pleased you're going to share the results. If possible can you attach a HR92 to a valve before its fitted and then afterwards too?

    Thanks loads in advance.
    Yes, I'll try all the combinations to see if we can draw some conclusions from the experiment.

  5. #65
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hi all

    Interesting read. I once had a long conversation with a Myson technical guy and he gave me a few pointers regarding TRV noise. Apologies if this is no use but it sounds that the HR92 may be making more noise for some and not others due to the pressure it is opening and closing against.

    First thing he said was the lock shield has a lot to do with noise both in radiator and the TRV (Manual or automatic), ticking in my case.

    Another issue which I came up against (not with Evohome though) with that fitting automatic valves is that the system may need balancing again, to ensure the pump is not over pressuring the system.

    Just a suggestion.

    Fulltopuk

  6. #66
    Automated Home Sr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I've got the Valencia valves now, which interestingly have an integrated lockshield valve.

    I'd be interested to know if people here are using that feature and what differences, if any, they found. I do have issues with whistling valves in my house and I'm wondering if that could help. Also, who is balancing their radiators with Evohome installed? Is it necessary/a good idea?

    I've done some initial tests with my existing valves and a sound meter. There's a variation in noise level if I cycle it from fully open to fully closed or vice versa . The motor usually seems to take a moment to get up to speed and then slows down towards the end of the adjustment. I think that's due to the variation in load on the pin, due to the spring pressure and/or flow through the valve.

    The faster the motor speed, the louder the noise as you would expect but there's still a lot more to it. A big part of it is what some of us have said and that's the pipes, radiator and HR92 body acting as a loudspeaker and amplifying the sound.

    I'm not going to publish any actual figures until I can change the valves over as I want to make sure I do all the tests at the same time, but I'll be testing two HR92s on two different valves (Valencia & AN Other) on and off the radiator. I'll also put some sound deadening around the HR92 to see what difference that makes.

    I should be able to do all this at the weekend. In the meantime, as a little experiment, try cycling one of your HR92s with your hands cupped around the body of the unit (as though you were giving it a hug) and tell me how that affects the level of noise you can hear.

  7. #67
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,594

    Default

    I don't understand what you mean by integrated lockshield. I have Valencia valves, TRV (HR92) at one end, lockshield at the other.

    Can you explain?

  8. #68
    Automated Home Sr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    73

    Default

    This black plastic part _0003_Integrated-Balancing-Insert-Shot-1_150x150.jpg

    "An Integrated radiator balancing insert retains the radiator balancing setting when the TRV and Lock Shield valves are closed for cleaning and decorating"

  9. #69
    Automated Home Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    117

    Default

    I have DT92Es in all my rooms as having a remote sensor makes a room much more comfortable as discussed elsewhere on this chat. If one of these is used in the child's bedroom is should be possible to make a nice chunky cover to push over the actuator to deaden the noise by a few dB. Carve one out of a block of polystyrene? It works for Bose earphones so should work here.
    Last edited by chrisgare; 7th December 2016 at 08:28 PM.

  10. #70
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrghh! View Post
    I've got the Valencia valves now, which interestingly have an integrated lockshield valve.

    I'd be interested to know if people here are using that feature and what differences, if any, they found. I do have issues with whistling valves in my house and I'm wondering if that could help. Also, who is balancing their radiators with Evohome installed? Is it necessary/a good idea?

    I've done some initial tests with my existing valves and a sound meter. There's a variation in noise level if I cycle it from fully open to fully closed or vice versa . The motor usually seems to take a moment to get up to speed and then slows down towards the end of the adjustment. I think that's due to the variation in load on the pin, due to the spring pressure and/or flow through the valve.

    The faster the motor speed, the louder the noise as you would expect but there's still a lot more to it. A big part of it is what some of us have said and that's the pipes, radiator and HR92 body acting as a loudspeaker and amplifying the sound.

    I'm not going to publish any actual figures until I can change the valves over as I want to make sure I do all the tests at the same time, but I'll be testing two HR92s on two different valves (Valencia & AN Other) on and off the radiator. I'll also put some sound deadening around the HR92 to see what difference that makes.

    I should be able to do all this at the weekend. In the meantime, as a little experiment, try cycling one of your HR92s with your hands cupped around the body of the unit (as though you were giving it a hug) and tell me how that affects the level of noise you can hear.
    I'm looking forward to the results of this after the weekend. Good work!

    As for sound deadening, one of the first things I did was to see what impact it made to place some pressure on the unit itself. It did make a difference insofar as the plastic is quite thin and the unit itself is not very weighty. When I took one of the units completely apart I was trying to find a way to reduce vibration internally (there isn't of course!). In our case there is very limited resonance through the pipes and rads - by that I mean that the source of the noise in the room is definitely directly from the HR92.

    I wait for your results with anticipation and with car keys in hand to go buy some Valencia TRVs :-)

    Can I be really clear here. I'm not looking for or expecting silence from the HR92s. I really do hope that the noise can be reduced to an acceptable level which doesn't wake up the kids (boy nearly 2 and girl nearly 5.....both rads the other side of the room to their beds) and doesn't prompt comments from guests (and gritted teeth from me) on every adjustment (and especially at the time of "the dawn chorus" when all valves get opened upstairs simultaneously).

    Good luck in the experiments!
    Last edited by Sentry1; 8th December 2016 at 12:46 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •