• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Future predictions for smarthome

Have been thinking about how the smart home tech will evolve over the next 2, 5 and 10 years

This new platform of HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google home and Smart things seems to be the future but surely all cannot survive? What about professional cabled installation home automation will that die or thrive. Within a decade will we have autonomous AI devices that know what we want and just get on with it?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I think there's a place for multiple platforms that don't compete. For example, from your list, Alexa and Smartthings are two very different things. There's room for both.

I think the real problem is going to be having so many cloud to cloud integrations between all of these things. You've already seen how problematic it can be in your (Honeywell's) dealings with Samsung SmartThings. It's been 'coming soon' for nearly a year now, with both parties blaming each other for the hold up. There are only a small number of these cloud based integrations right now, but already I have SmartThings talking to Evohome (unofficially), IFTTT, MiHome, InitialState, Smappee, Google Drive, and possibly others I've forgotten. Imagine what a nightmare this will become when there's dozens or hundreds of the bloody things. Imagine trying to debug routines when something goes wrong.

I think HomeKit will either die or remain very niche because of the silly Apple Chip requirement. There's real hope for Google Home, though. Where I said that Alexa and SmartThings were different and complementary, GH has the scope to replace them both. And Google has the budget to make it happen.

Although Google also has a habit of launching stuff and then abandoning it, so I wouldn't bet your house on Google Home - not yet.

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Thanks Paul. It's all very confusing isn't it.

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

I have high hopes for HomeKit, I like the idea of smarthome tech but don't have the mental energy to get into coding and messing with 'non approved' workarounds

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Sometimes you have to go down the 'non approved' route when the official thing still isn't available after so many months of coming soon....

Comment

Working...
          X