• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolkboy
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2016

Something odd happening

Hi,

Only day 3 of full system, but I can't figure out what's happening- I have two zones which each have one rad each, the room temp recoded by hr92 is 0.5c below set point, boiler and pump are on but opentherm bridge has the water in the system running at 24c, surely that's not going to add any heat to a room?
    Last edited by Norfolkboy; 24 November 2016, 11:26 PM.
  • Norfolkboy
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Norfolkboy View Post
    Hi,

Only day 3 of full system, but I can't figure out what's happening- I have two zones which each have one rad each, the room temp recoded by hr92 is 0.5c below set point, boiler and pump are on but opentherm bridge has the water in the system running at 24c, surely that's not going to add any heat to a room?

Starting to realise with the system has seen in many posts on here is too not question what it's doing!

Update - set a room to go from 19-21c at 21.30 till 22.00. Checked the temp at 22.05, it was 18.5c, why would this be. Only explanation I can give is earlier in the evening hw came on while ch was on, therefore boiler temp went to max 78c, this may have thrown the hr92s out and so called for very cool water. Lounge overshot preset by 2.c

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

Day three it's still learning.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Firstly how are you measuring the OT target flow temp? When the system is learning I found that the OT tends to requests a higher temp more often than a lower temp.

Comment

• Norfolkboy
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          Firstly how are you measuring the OT target flow temp? When the system is learning I found that the OT tends to requests a higher temp more often than a lower temp.

Hi, my boiler dispalys the water temp and was the steady low temp without the burner on

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Overshooting is common when its learning. But to have such a low target flow temp is a bit odd. Watch it for a few more days.

Comment

• Norfolkboy
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2016

First frustration today for the new system! Two rooms set to come on at 6.20am, at 5.40 heard valves open and water flowing through rads(20c set and room was 17c), thought great optistart is working well as the day before it had come on earlier. I look at the rad at 6am water still flowing but rad is still cold, I check the boiler and flow temp is 18c so doesn't look like the opentherm had told the boiler to fire. At 6.15 still no heat but pumping. Before I get an ear full from the other half I turn on the hot water which fires the boiler to 78 which soon got the rads warm. Rest of the day system has been fine.

I'm concerned why this happens and if it's going to keep occurring!!

Comment

• Rameses
                Industry Expert
                • Nov 2014

Wiring sounds wrong. You Y plan? What is mixer valve doing?
                getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Norfolkboy
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2016

S plan with central heating valve always open, must be a software glitch as has been working fine and does during the day.

Update-6.25 am today 3 zones calling for heat and rads cold again

Comment

• Little Tinker
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2016

S plan with central heating valve always open, must be a software glitch as has been working fine and does during the day.

Update-6.25 am today 3 zones calling for heat and rads cold again
                    Does that mean that you've rejigged the wiring so that the orange wires usually used to fire boiler from both zone valves are disconnected, and only the Opentherm bridge is calling for heat on the X21 terminals?

Opentherm is used far more in places like Holland, and given their general ability to communicate in English the contact number on here might be able to help if you're stuck: https://www.regelvisie.nl/pages/Woni...viessmann.html.
                    Last edited by Little Tinker; 29 November 2016, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Rameses
                      Industry Expert
                      • Nov 2014

Its either not bound correctly or there is a wiring issue. Unlikely a software glitch as this is only instance.
                      Suggest you log a call with support.
                      getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Norfolkboy
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Little Tinker View Post
                        Does that mean that you've rejigged the wiring so that the orange wires usually used to fire boiler from both zone valves are disconnected, and only the Opentherm bridge is calling for heat on the X21 terminals?

Opentherm is used far more in places like Holland, and given their general ability to communicate in English the contact number on here might be able to help if you're stuck: https://www.regelvisie.nl/pages/Woni...viessmann.html.
                        Yes orange wires have been disconnected, so its only the Opentherm bridge that will fire the boiler. Im worried that its the inaction between Viessman opentherm and EVohome, and will be stuck with it!
                        Last edited by Norfolkboy; 5 December 2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Norfolkboy
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Nov 2016

Hi,

Thought i would give an update after 10 days. the low flow temps have gone away so looks like the learning mode was causing these issues, Optiumstart is still learning with a few rooms a good 3 C below at the set point time.

The one niggle i have now is that for some reason during an on cycle the boiler and pump will just switch off for about 30 seconds and then come back on, the switch off seems for no apparent reason, this can happen if i put a zone to call for heat or the system is just maintaining a zone temp. Probably happens every 30 mins. Pump is wired direct to the boiler
                          Last edited by Norfolkboy; 6 December 2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• sandyman
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Mar 2016

Hi,

Thought i would give an update after 10 days. the low flow temps have gone away so looks like the learning mode was causing these issues, Optiumstart is still learning with a few rooms a good 3 C below at the set point time.

The one niggle i have now is that for some reason during an on cycle the boiler and pump will just switch off for about 30 seconds and then come back on, the switch off seems for no apparent reason, this can happen if i put a zone to call for heat or the system is just maintaining a zone temp. Probably happens every 30 mins. Pump is wired direct to the boiler

hi norfolkboy, I think from your previous messages we have the same system setup, viessman wb1b opentherm. I occasionally get those low flow temps as well, but it only seems to be at a time when you would think the is a possible reasone.g. only 1 room on, and its within 0.5 of setpoint, so its just using those last few therms before it fires the boiler again. my system has been in a year so learning all done. I have also seen it happen late at night, all rooms setpoint of 15, one has cooled to 14.5. so it pumps 30 degree water round and squeezes that 0.5. Just seems to be what OT does with this boiler.

I do also get that odd "switch off then back on" but it doesn't happen often enough to matter / doesn't make a difference to the practical behaviour so I have stopped worrying about it.

FWIW, I spent the first 6 mo of the system being in standing for many hours in a corner of the kitchen where I could see both the boiler screen (other end of utility room) and the evo controller (hall) , with a notepad... so your keen-ness to watch whats going on after only 10 days is very understandable!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

It was OT that forced me to get some boiler diagnostics going. No way was I going to run into the Loft numerous times a day to check what the Flow, Return and Target Flow were. You guys are lucky, I can't say I'm completely happy with the OT implementation on the Vaillant boilers with the VR33. The OT seems to run the boiler too much at the max even when there is no HW demand. Yes, sure enough, it isn't simply toggling between max and off now, but I was expecting the boiler to run at a much lower temperature when there was only CH demand.

Comment

Working...
                              X