Ideal Vogue & Opentherm via Honeywell T6 Lyric (wired version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardc1983
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Nov 2016

because they have been wrong all along. Why would a new controller resolve the issue? you can see from the lyric t6 what flow temp it’s asking for but the boiler doesn’t match it.

Comment

• blowlamp
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by richardc1983 View Post
      because they have been wrong all along. Why would a new controller resolve the issue? you can see from the lyric t6 what flow temp it’s asking for but the boiler doesn’t match it.
      I didn't know the Lyric could display the requested flow temperature as I've not noticed it when playing with the inlaws Lyric/Intergas setup.
      Their heating system seems to work OK, but as it's more or less permanently on at 22c the house will usually be within the small proportional temperature band used by Lyric to modulate the boiler.
      As I wrote earlier, Lyric will request maximum boiler output when the house is more than a few degrees below set temperature, so it's important to verify whether Lyric is or isn't requesting the boiler for full output.

If you're sure that no OpenTherm controller will work properly with your boiler, then you need a refund and a different boiler.
      Last edited by blowlamp; 22 November 2017, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• richardc1983
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Nov 2016

Yes if you long press the middle button on screen you can get to opentherm and you will see values for opentherm. Problem is even when there’s a 2c diff and it’s requesting a higher flow temp sometimes the boiler will not do it and just sits there cycling.

Comment

• richardc1983
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Nov 2016

So a little update:

Had a conference call with the top R&D technical guy from ideal and their Director of technical. They now dont want to replace the thermostat until they can verify that the replacement or the T6 is sending a ID14: 0 signal to the boiler which then allows the thermostat gateway to control the burner rate meaning the burner will fire for 3 seconds then go straight to the reduced rate. Something it isn't doing at the moment.

They also lied when they said they had been testing on a t6, they don't even have one in stock or have done any sort of testing at all. Both the gen 1 & gen 2 work the same and they state that opentherm is fully open on the vogue so should be able to do anything. They even said that if an outdoor temp sensor is connected and your using Ideal's own controller for opentherm then it will take into account the outdoor temperature.

We know the nest also takes into account the weather as well but we dont know if it also uses the ID14 signal. Can anyone confirm what codes the vogue uses and if the nest or t6 also use them... http://otgw.tclcode.com/firmware.html

Particulary ID:27 & ID14

Comment

• dty
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Aug 2016

This link is useful. It suggests a T6 does send 14.

Comment

• richardc1983
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by dty View Post
              This link is useful. It suggests a T6 does send 14.

http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#thermostats
              Thank you, - very useful and from reading at the top of the page a 14 is mandatory on any controller or boiler.

Comment

• richardc1983
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Nov 2016

Quick update for Jan 18.

Had the nest installed and tbh prefer the optimisation of the Lyric T6, the Nest either starts too early sometimes as much as 3 hours early and has the house upto temp within an hour then sits there with the boiler cycling all night. The lyric was much better at optimisation...

HOwever we still have this issue of the Vogue C32 short cycling. Boiler is installed as per the install manual. Plumber has suggested upgrading this pipework to wider pipework to the first rad so the heat can dissipate from the boiler.

Ideal are still involved and to be fair to them are interested to resolve this as believe this is an issue for other customers too. They are now saying the boiler is running v2.? of opentherm and the latest version is v4.? They plan on installing a pcb with the latest version which is designed to keep the boiler burner running. So for example currently the boiler fires the burner which causes the lower flow temp requested by the thermostat to overshoot due to the burner sequence which cannot be changed. This then causes the boiler to cycle the burner off, flow temp quickly drops back and causes the burner to cycle on again and repeat.

They propose to install the latest opentherm on the boiler which will activate a setting that will allow the boiler to fire at minimum rate after the initial on period to allow the boiler to modulate its output from minimum rate upwards if required or keep at the minimum rate rather than it being governed by the thermostat. They are not sure if this will work though.

Any one know what he latest version of opentherm is or can provide a changelog between the version. I only managed to find a v2.2 online which is age old and if my boiler is running that then its not very good!

Comment

• robj20
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Aug 2017

Sorry without reading the whole thread what's wrong with yours. I have evohome via Opentherm to a vogue gen2 that works fine now after some initial issues.

Mine will get the flow down to 30c or even less, the burner and pump still cycle though.
                  Last edited by robj20; 16 January 2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• richardc1983
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by robj20 View Post
                    Sorry without reading the whole thread what's wrong with yours. I have evohome via Opentherm to a vogue gen2 that works fine now after some initial issues.
                    Hi Rob

Its kind of summerised in my last post what the issues are. Mine is the Vogue Gen1 boiler. I dont use evohome its just standard TRV's I have so prob less complicated than the evohome setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X