X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

There's no wifi in an HR92. But I know what you mean!

The ribbon leads to the display.

No variable resistors - the thing that looks like one is a rotational encoder (for the dial). There's nothing analogue at all.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 3 December 2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• g6ejd
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2016

I spend all day working with boards with Wi-Fi on them - force of a habit

Of course the display connector and the rotary encoder, now I wonder what that does. Usually addressing, but in production costs expensive so there must be a good reason unless or perhaps this board is used in other products.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

The rotary encoder is for the knob on the top

I've had an HR92 apart that was knocked so hard that the screen ripped right off the front...

Managed to get it apart, reconnect the screen, repair the pivot pin for the screen and get it all back together again working, that was over a year ago and it is still working.

I think I took pictures of the insides...

Miraculously the ribbon hadn't torn it just pulled out of the socket even though it would have been locked...

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
          But I'm STILL not convinced that the HR92 is actually reporting with that accuracy. The only evidence so far has taken a journey from the HR92, through the controller, out to the Honeywell cloud servers and then back again. Someone along that path there could be some simple moving average calculation happening, which might be cause of the perceived resolution.

Over the w/e I'll try to actually log the packets from the HR92 so that we can get to the bottom of this.
          Did you get a chance to look at logged packets to see the over the air temperature resolution ?

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
            Did you get a chance to look at logged packets to see the over the air temperature resolution ?
            I was part way through a recompile when I completely stuffed my Pi build! Need to start again from scratch. Unless I can find an SD image with the dev version of Domoticz installed - that might save an hour or three.

P.

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Oh, and a word of warning. If you update your headless installed Pi with an 'apt-get update' you'll find that, by default, ssh is now disabled.

Looks like I was probably hit by that when I thought my install was bu&&ered. And too late - I'd already formatted the card before I realised.

Doing headless Pi stuff is a real PITA there days.

Comment

• DanD
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Feb 2016

Hi,

I can comment on the resolution of the raw temperature values sent by HR92s to the Evohome controller. These are sent with 2 decimal places and a full 0.01 resolution as I've not observed any rounding or steps in the data. I've developed some of the Domoticz Evohome code and I can confirm that it stores the values exactly as sent by the HR92/controller, but the values are rounded to 1dp in most of the output screens (charts etc) for consistency across all device types. If you pull the values via a JSON query they seem to also be rounded to 1dp, but there's also some further manipulation as the final value is padded with more decimal places. I can't comment on the true accuracy of the HR92 though as I've not attempted to verify the reported temperatures via an IR sensor or something similar.

Dan

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                  Oh, and a word of warning. If you update your headless installed Pi with an 'apt-get update' you'll find that, by default, ssh is now disabled.

Looks like I was probably hit by that when I thought my install was bu&&ered. And too late - I'd already formatted the card before I realised.

Doing headless Pi stuff is a real PITA there days.
                  I just updated my Pi1 running Raspbian Jessie - no problems with SSH being disabled.

'apt-get update' doesn't install anything it only updates the available package index, so I presume you mean you ran 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade'.

If so this will have broken your system. Never run 'apt-get upgrade', always use 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

This has been the recommended upgrade procedure on Debian based systems for years now, 'apt-get upgrade' is deprecated and can cause major problems on modern distros because it will not install new packages to meet changes in package dependencies. This can result in packages getting uninstalled in a domino like fashion, so most likely your ssh actually got uninstalled due to unmet dependencies...

It's theoretically possible to repair but as the unmet dependencies can be circular in nature it can be quite difficult to figure out how to fix sometimes and a reinstall is sometimes required.

I'm one of the devs of OSMC which is another Debian derivative that runs on Pi's and other hardware and we see this problem all the time, so much so that we have actually recently disabled 'apt-get upgrade' using a wrapper to stop users destroying their systems... The problem is the internet is full of tutorials and outdated information that recommends use of apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get dist-upgrade. If you always use dist-upgrade you shouldn't have any problems like this.
                  Last edited by DBMandrake; 12 December 2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

I'm one of the devs of OSMC
                    I've been meaning to ask that for a long time. Same forum name....

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                      Hi,

I can comment on the resolution of the raw temperature values sent by HR92s to the Evohome controller. These are sent with 2 decimal places and a full 0.01 resolution as I've not observed any rounding or steps in the data. I've developed some of the Domoticz Evohome code and I can confirm that it stores the values exactly as sent by the HR92/controller, but the values are rounded to 1dp in most of the output screens (charts etc) for consistency across all device types. If you pull the values via a JSON query they seem to also be rounded to 1dp, but there's also some further manipulation as the final value is padded with more decimal places. I can't comment on the true accuracy of the HR92 though as I've not attempted to verify the reported temperatures via an IR sensor or something similar.
                      Hi Dan,

That's interesting that the HGI80 code in Domoticz does in fact store two decimal places for temperature readings - Using the modified evo-update.sh I see two decimal places for the temperatures on the Dashboard and Temperature screens, but Paul using an HGI80 apparently only sees once decimal place on those same screens...

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

I too use an HGI80 but can see only 1 decimal place on the Dashboard and Temperature pages (and graphs too). I'm currently on the latest stable Version: 3.5877

I wonder if the Hardware and Devices set up using the HGI80 are different from those set up via the Script. I know some Devices are able to show 3 decimal places (e.g. Utility meters)
                        Last edited by bruce_miranda; 13 December 2016, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Never run 'apt-get upgrade'
                          Yeah, I typed upgrade by mistake. Old habit, especially as the two words are so similar.

But there was something wrong with my Pi anyway, so I'm doing a full dev build, with the HGI80 installed.

Perhaps I should take an image when I've finished - might save others a few hours work.

P.

Comment

• DanD
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                            I too use an HGI80 but can see only 1 decimal place on the Dashboard and Temperature pages (and graphs too). I'm currently on the latest stable Version: 3.5877

I wonder if the Hardware and Devices set up using the HGI80 are different from those set up via the Script. I know some Devices are able to show 3 decimal places (e.g. Utility meters)
                            I'll take another look at the Domoticz code as I must have missed a decimal place setting somewhere. It's surprising that the Evohome devices show different numbers of decimal places in different installations as I thought the scripting and HGI80 device creation code was shared and the javascript/html code which controls the display screens doesn't distinguish between the different Evohome set-ups.

Dan

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                              I'll take another look at the Domoticz code as I must have missed a decimal place setting somewhere. It's surprising that the Evohome devices show different numbers of decimal places in different installations as I thought the scripting and HGI80 device creation code was shared and the javascript/html code which controls the display screens doesn't distinguish between the different Evohome set-ups.

Dan
                              Yes it is strange. With the Web API scripts I only see one decimal place on the little hovering info boxes on the temperature graphs but I definitely get two decimal places elsewhere, like Temperature and Dashboard:

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jul 2014

And here is mine, exact same version same screen but using the HGI80.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by bruce_miranda; 13 December 2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X