• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbof
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2016

Ariston boiler "auto" mode and Evohome

My Ariston Clas HE boiler has the following "Auto" mode. I'm wondering if it makes sense to have this mode engaged with evohome (boiler relay plus TRVs)?

"Auto button - Temperature adjustment activation
    The AUTO function enables boiler operation to be adapted to environmental conditions and to the type of system it is installed on.
    Comfortable temperature is reached inside the room in the quickest way possible, without wasting money, energy or e ciency, while substantially reducing the amount of wear experienced by the components.
    Your installer will advise you on the devices connectable to the boiler and will program it according to the system.
    In normal boilers the water temperature inside the heating elements is usually set to a high value (70-80°C), thereby ensuring e ective heating during the few really cold winter days. It then becomes excessive on less cold days (of which there are many) more typical of the autumn and winter seasons. This leads to excessive room heating after the thermostat has been switched o , resulting in energy waste and uncomfortable conditions inside the room.
    The AUTO function “takes control” of the boiler and selects the best operating regime based on environmental conditions, external devices connected to the boiler and the performance required. It constantly decides at which power level to operate based on the environmental conditions and the room temperature required."
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

It sounds like a form of weather compensation. Have you got an outdoor temperature sensor connected to the boiler ?

If not, you probably can't use this mode.

Comment

• jimbof
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2016

I don't have an external temperature sensor connected, though the description seems to imply external sensor would only be one potential input to the AUTO function.

AUTO is a large dedicated button on the front of the boiler, and it seems to do something at least in my system; the light comes on, and the central heating water temperature control ceases to operate.

In my mind I could imagine an AUTO function that would make sense even without external temperature sensor - measuring the call for heat on / off time and return water temperature and then modifying the central heating water temperature temperature to try and increase the amount of time the boiler is on but at a lower temperature would probably result in increased comfort. Whether or not this is what it does - who knows!

I was wondering if there was any guidance as to whether such a mode is viewed as being a help or hinderance when something like evohome is trying to understand how the room heats up and cools down, and how to best use the 6 hourly "cycles" that are set (is this a sane default, by the way?)

Comment

Working...
      X