• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burtoninlondon
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2016

So why not EnOcean

Hello,

I've been wondering why the EnOcean protocol and the associated range of energy harvesting sensors & receivers hasn't yet gotten any traction in the marketplace, particularly in the UK.

I'm not an automation guru by any stretch of the imagination but the EnOcean protocol offers data communication at such a low bandwidth that their devices can run completely wire and battery free. Given their release of the energy harvesting technology to work in a BLE & Zigbee environment I can only think they are well placed to dominate the market for low bandwidth sensors, receivers and actuators.

Granted their chipsets are more expensive than other protocols but in today's world surely developing devices that inherently require batteries goes against the grain of looking after our environment particularly when the growth of connected devices is only going to gather pace.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on why there are a plethora of Z-wave, Zigbee, WiFi, etc devices but few and far between EnOcean devices.

Thanks
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

In my opinion they need to create a bridge to other protocols. If I could control Z-Wave modules from EnOcean switches I recon I'd have a few. I asked them about the possibility of that in the future but it doesn't look like something they intend to do...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• RobF
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Burtoninlondon View Post
      Hello,

I've been wondering why the EnOcean protocol and the associated range of energy harvesting sensors & receivers hasn't yet gotten any traction in the marketplace, particularly in the UK.

I'm not an automation guru by any stretch of the imagination but the EnOcean protocol offers data communication at such a low bandwidth that their devices can run completely wire and battery free. Given their release of the energy harvesting technology to work in a BLE & Zigbee environment I can only think they are well placed to dominate the market for low bandwidth sensors, receivers and actuators.

Granted their chipsets are more expensive than other protocols but in today's world surely developing devices that inherently require batteries goes against the grain of looking after our environment particularly when the growth of connected devices is only going to gather pace.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on why there are a plethora of Z-wave, Zigbee, WiFi, etc devices but few and far between EnOcean devices.

Thanks
      Enocean is slowly taking off. In fact I've just installed an Enocean system at a University today. The biggest issue has been the lack of usable sensors. A well known manufacturer was pushing their control system with enocean sensors only to provide solar powered sensors with a three hour battery backup, unfortunately the fist thing you do when leaving a plant room is turn out the lights and close the door! Fortunately it was a colleague of mine that installed this particular system and had to pay to rectify the mistake when the customer rang the next day to say is heating system wasn't working

The system we use uses Enoocean, Zigbee and canbus and translates the values into Bacnet for use in high end BMS systems. It works well but does use low power cpus so tends to slow down when you load the system up with software.
      Last edited by RobF; 24 February 2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• Dobidius
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2017

Yes they have known big problems with their sensors...
        Pretty ashamed for this kind of company but I think they are actively trying to solve it
        Create as much as possible product with recycling stuff from internet

Comment

• TimH
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2004

For me, there wasn't the option to use their innards with my chosen switch and faceplate. Didn't want one switch that didn't match all the others, so achieved the same result by another means.

HTH,
          Tim.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
          X