Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome over shoot on UFH zone

Automated Home Legend

I sometimes think the pre-binding done when you buy things in packs causes more problems than it solves, since the protocol allows multiple bindings per device. (A BDR91 can have up to 4 different bindings at once)

For example if I happen to buy a DTS92 and a BDR91 together in a pack (which is cheaper than buying them separately) but don't intend to use them together I need to be aware of the fact that they are pre-bound, and know how to clear the bindings!

From what I remember of the install leaflets they are not particularly wordy and while they cover binding I don't think they cover clearing bindings. Hence a lot of people get caught out with multiple bindings...

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

If Honeywell is listening, how's about BDR91s being supplied with a "bound to" label on them, by default saying whatever it came in the box with (if it was part of a set), bit with space to cross that out and write something else.

Think that would solve a lot of problems, and shouldn't be very expensive to do.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    If Honeywell is listening, how's about BDR91s being supplied with a "bound to" label on them, by default saying whatever it came in the box with (if it was part of a set), bit with space to cross that out and write something else.

Think that would solve a lot of problems, and shouldn't be very expensive to do.
    Good idea - as soon as the packaging is opened its easy to loose track of which units came with what other units.

Say you got a DTS92 + BDR91 pack to save money, a couple more DTS92's that came individually, along with a BDR91 that came with the main controller unit and yet another BDR91 that came as part of the hot water kit.

In the excitement of unpacking everything now you have a mixed up bunch of devices - some of which are pre-bound (one DTS92 pre-bound to one BDR91, and one BDR91 pre-bound as a boiler relay to the controller) and some which are not. Confusion and hair pulling when the system doesn't behave as expected due to double binding will then surely follow...

I've noticed that some BDR91's also come with the stick on cheat sheet label that tell you how to wire them up while others don't - although I didn't keep track of which did and didn't.

The "bound to" labels should ideally come in pairs with a unique or semi-unique identity or serial number to show which other device they are bound to, by finding the two devices with the same number on their labels. (In the everything opened and mixed up on the kitchen table scenario)

As well as this the instructions on how to clear bindings on devices needs to be included in the packaging and clear to follow. I'm pretty sure that some devices do NOT include instructions on how to clear bindings in the leaflets provided in the packaging, I had to find how to unbind an HR92 by looking it up in one of the larger PDF manuals for example. (Long press on the BIND function)

Most of the instruction manuals start off assuming the device is unbound and begin with the steps to bind it when really unbinding should be the first step to perform before binding on a new install.

I clear bindings on devices before binding them or re-binding them as a matter of course to avoid any problems and start from a known state.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 6th January 2017 at 02:12 PM.

Even the so-called experts who installed my system left one of the BDR91s double bound.

So my stickers would even help the professionals!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Even the so-called experts who installed my system left one of the BDR91s double bound.

So my stickers would even help the professionals!
    Indeed. What were the symptoms ? Would you have noticed the problem if you were a non technical user ?

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Indeed. What were the symptoms ? Would you have noticed the problem if you were a non technical user ?
    DHW BDR was firing with CH demand because it was also bound as a boiler relay. So hot water was getting VERY hot.

If I was non-technical I might have just thought that's the way the system works.

P.