• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisgare
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2013

Major issue last night with Evohome controller

Last night on January 1st I had a major issue with the controller that I've never experienced before and do not want to see again.

All my 12 zones are set to 5 degrees at 22:00 and then I get the usual dribs and drabs of gas usage for a few minutes before everything settles down.

I walked past the controller last night at 22:55 and noticed that my last pre-22:00 programme of heating was still active and running. Panicking, I used the Quick Action 'Off' by turning it on and off. All zones were then set to 5 degrees as they should be. Wondering why on earth this happened, I noticed that the clock was showing 22:34 when the real time was nearing 23:00. I went into setup, turned the auto-update off and reset the clock to 23:06.

Much to my surprise the clock did not change from that time for the next ten minutes and seemed to be frozen. I again changed the the time to 23:15 and restored Auto-Update to 'on'. Again frozen. I was still connected to my wi-fi.

I really wanted to go to bed and didn't want to risk that the controller stayed frozen over night so after a swearing session I rebooted the controller and ascertained that the clock was incrementing as it should be - it was.

I didn't wait around until I saw all the actuators reconnect but all was good this morning. I don't mind niggling things occurring that can be be put down to missed communications but this could cause chaos if it occurred while I was away.

I've never had such a serious issue in three years of using Evohome on any of the three hardware versions I've had.

I'm at a loss as I thought I knew about all of Evohome's foibles but maybe it's a one off, unless it was to do with 1/1/2017!

I see that I'm not alone with a stopped clock - one or two others have been subjected to it.
    Last edited by chrisgare; 2 January 2017, 12:47 PM.
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

I assume you have seen this thread then ?

I've had what you describe with the time getting "stuck" twice now. A reboot was required in both cases to get the time updating again. (and thus the schedule running again)

Comment

• chrisgare
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      I assume you have seen this thread then ?

I've had what you describe with the time getting "stuck" twice now. A reboot was required in both cases to get the time updating again. (and thus the schedule running again)
      Yes Simon, I saw this. It looks like I'll have to do the same thing again to clear the low battery indicator as talked about in my other post just now as re-pairing did not work.

Comment

• chrisgare
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2013

Just to report that there has been no re-occurance I'm pleased to say. However, there has been an impact as I now need to spend time looking at the clock each evening to check that all is OK before going to bed. Now, that is annoying! At least the noise of the valves opening at 07:00 each morning provides the confidence that all is OK though the creaking of all my 15mm pipes over the next 15 minutes is far louder!

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

I've had it happen to me twice now in 1 1/2 years of total use, the two occasions were about 6 months apart.

I wouldn't fret too much about it though and I certainly wouldn't be worrying about checking the clock every night.

It's an annoying bug to be sure, but at least in my case it seems to be very infrequent.

Worst case scenario in the remote chance that it happens again is you wake up to a cold house! It's not like a nuclear reactor is going to go into meltdown because of it.

Comment

Working...
          X