Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which OpenTherm boilers work well with Evohome?

Automated Home Ninja

I'm about to replace my boiler from the 15th century with a Vaillant EcoFit Pure system boiler and attempt to OT it. Where are you guys sourcing the VR33s from?

Automated Home Ninja

Clearly going to have to brush up on my Dutch...

Automated Home Legend

Google translate ?

If you use Chrome just click the translate button in the address bar.

Automated Home Legend

In fact on that site if you just keep translate on you can complete the entire ordering process without any issues. And payment is via PayPal any way.

Automated Home Legend

Just found this:

https://uk.myboiler.com/opentherm-capable-boilers/

Not sure that the list is 100% accurate as I know the Viessmann 200 is not an Opentherm boiler.

Automated Home Legend

Can someone please explain, probably for me in words of one syllable, what open therm does? When I look it up it seems to be no more than the boiler being told what to do when the control panel deems it necessary. But that's what mine does now with Evohome and my boiler is not opentherm. It's 20 years old this year.

Automated Home Ninja

Evohome only tells your boiler to come on or go off. If it decides it needs only 50% of the boiler capability, it will turn it on for 10 minutes, then off for 10 minutes. So your boiler is constantly turning on and off which is inefficient and also causes thermal stress and wear and tear on the boiler and other components such as the pump, valves, etc.

With OpenTherm, Evohome can tell the boiler it wants 50% load, and the boiler will modulate its output to match and, if you're lucky, stay on permanently at a lower load rather than cycling.

Automated Home Legend

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Can someone please explain, probably for me in words of one syllable, what open therm does? When I look it up it seems to be no more than the boiler being told what to do when the control panel deems it necessary. But that's what mine does now with Evohome and my boiler is not opentherm. It's 20 years old this year.
    This might help:

http://www.honeywelluk.com/Documents..._FINAL_WEB.pdf