• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Tado V3 vs Evohome ?

A colleague at work has been thinking about some sort of smart heating controls since I got my Evohome in 2015 and had been seriously considering Evohome but was wavering and seems to have been swayed by the new Tado V3, largely I think on the basis that it's "easier" to self install than Evohome from a wiring perspective. (Not sure that that's true, but...)

The last time I looked at Tado (v2 I think) it wasn't a multi-zoned system so wasn't really a competitor to Evohome, but V3 adds radiator valve controllers and thus proper zoning. The question is, how does it stack up against Evohome in practice ?

I can't find any proper reviews of the version 3 release of Tado as it was only announced in September 2016 and I'm not sure the radiator valves are even shipping yet anyway. It's also not entirely clear what the architecture of the system is and whether any cloud based control is used for scheduling or whether the new main wall thermostat with the number on the front acts as a central controller for scheduling in the way that the evotouch controller does.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of Tado V3 or at least pointers to proper reviews or technical information on the architecture ?

I don't have any intention to switch (I'm too invested in Evohome now anyway) but given that the price is nearly identical to Evohome, the feature set looks very similar, and it seems to have swayed someone who was considering Evohome I'm curious about how good it actually is.

One drawback I can see is that there isn't a controller UI as such, relying on smart phone apps (and web interface ?) to configure and schedule. Although I like a smartphone app as an additional/remote method of controlling the system, I'm not sure that I would want to be completely without the controller UI and relying entirely on a smartphone app. (or web browser)
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 9 January 2017, 03:55 PM.
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

It uses 868MHz (like Evohome) but has the advantage of using a 6LoWPAN mesh. I guess being a more up-to-date product helps here.

The other interesting thing is that the TRV controllers also sense humidity and light levels. I wonder whether the former is used to determine comfort?

Interesting that you can rent the system as well as buying.

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

Also, no SmartThings (although technically Evohome doesn't, either!). But Tado does have Homekit support if you're an Apple fan.

Comment

• doni
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jul 2016

Netatmo have also released a very similar looking smart radiator valve (are they oem'ing Tado or vice versa?). I looked at both Tado and Netatmo before deciding on Evohome back in October. I did also consider the Lightwaverf heating for a very brief moment as I already have a fair number of their devices for lighting and power. The decision was based on wanting something tried and tested over being on the bleeding edge of something new with no feedback.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

That's a really good point. The HR92 is tried and tested (despite my failed one - see other thread!), and is a V2 product (after the HR80). And Evohome itself is well established - we're now on V3 of the controller, and even V1 was built on Hometronic, an previous system.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            That's a really good point. The HR92 is tried and tested (despite my failed one - see other thread!), and is a V2 product (after the HR80). And Evohome itself is well established - we're now on V3 of the controller, and even V1 was built on Hometronic, an previous system.
            On the other hand, we've come to see that the Ramses II wireless protocol used by Honeywell is definitely showing its age and is not as robust as we would like in terms of ensuring transmissions get through and not being so picky about placement of devices.... That's not to automatically imply Tado V3 won't have wireless communication problems of course, but if its IP based there is a greater chance that it will feature some sort of proper message acknowledgement and retry mechanism.

Another thought I had in relation to the HR92 noise discussion thread is how noisy are the Tado V3 radiator valves ? Again, if they haven't been released yet I guess nobody knows. (My colleague who is ordering it has been told the radiator valves won't be available, at least for him until March)

I hope it works out for him buying something that is relatively "untested" and hasn't been given much in the way of reviews or feedback yet. (Has anyone found a Tado V3 review online yet ? I can only find press releases) We know the Evohome system has its flaws and quirks but sometimes better the devil you know than the one you don't.
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 10 January 2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Dont forget CM Zone. So the Evohome is an evolution after several generations. I've been through CM Zone, hometronic and then Evohome v2 and v3. The only reason I switched between all these is because Honeywell continued to support the radiator valves. My grip today is the lack of any updates.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                Dont forget CM Zone. So the Evohome is an evolution after several generations. I've been through CM Zone, hometronic and then Evohome v2 and v3. The only reason I switched between all these is because Honeywell continued to support the radiator valves. My grip today is the lack of any updates.
                I think I agree that my biggest gripe with Evohome is that Honeywell really don't seem to be interested in updating the software of the controller, and eventually they will fall behind in that regard if they haven't already that is. Nearly all of the bugs and lack of specific features that I can criticise about the system could easily be fixed or added with a software update to the controller.

Those who bought the first colour controller model were no doubt gutted and extremely disappointed to find out that despite the USB port that should allow firmware updates, none were or ever will be forthcoming, even though that model of controller did get shipped with newer firmware versions as time went by - with those who bought early stuck with older buggy firmware. (We know that firmware updates ARE possible because the most recent firmware for that model and the software to flash it made its way onto the hacking underground with some people successfully updating them through the USB port, but for some reason Honeywell chose not to make it available)

Then the Wi-Fi model came out with the promise of over the air firmware updates, and in the year and a half since then we've had........ one.

The only significant user facing improvement of that update was local override display when overrides are made on an HR92 - something that is much appreciated, but that many argue should have been there from day one, and unfortunately adding this feature also introduced new bugs where overrides sometimes fail to get cancelled at the next set point. It also introduced the phantom override problem where the hourly set point "report" from the HR92 can sometimes revert a scheduled change if the timing is unlucky. So even the implementation of this new feature was half baked.

The update was sent to devices with no notification to users (that I'm aware of - I asked to get the update early so knew it was coming) and there is no official change list on their website to refer to what bugs might have been fixed, what new features were added etc. The only way we know there was any update at all is from reading unofficial "official" word on this forum or noticing some very subtle behaviour changes in the UI.

If this is Honeywell's idea of making the most of an over the air firmware update system then I'm rather disappointed. To me it feels like the Evotouch software is old and development is strictly in "maintenance mode" where only bug fixes and very minor changes will ever happen, not that it is pushing ahead with major new improvements. If I had to guess, I would say that the over the air firmware update capability was only a hedge to fix any show stopper bugs, and that as no show stopper bugs have appeared neither have any significant updates.

I have to wonder if Honeywell are working on a next generation controller with an all new OS and interface and that the software for the current line of Evotouch's is strictly in maintenance mode...
                Last edited by DBMandrake; 10 January 2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• killa47
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2016

Re updating Evohome and only one update since new wifi controller released.

I asked Rameses to consider setting up a permanent post or similar where users could see a meaningful list of bug-fixes/improvements in the Honeywell pipeline.

The absence of which yet again leads me to believe (as I have posted previously to Rameses and for the ears/eyes of any other Honeywell staff) that all our posts citing software/technical improvements and enhancements generally fall by the wayside (at Honeywell HQ - wherever that be).

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

I think it's a bit much to expect a list of future bug fixes and new features from a tight lipped company like Honeywell... They're certainly not going to commit to or comment on future direction.

However even a list of bug fixes in current / past releases would be nice - we don't even have that at the moment, except a few unofficial comments sprinkled in the forum and some information that we have figured out ourselves.

Communication is certainly lacking and to be honest after a year and a half I now don't expect another firmware update for the Wi-Fi controller before the next hardware model of controller comes out, and if we do see another update it will just be more subtle (and undocumented) bug fixes, nothing amazing or game changing like a UI redesign or major new features. Pity.

Prove me wrong Honeywell.
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 10 January 2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• killa47
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      However even a list of bug fixes in current / past releases would be nice
                      Agree. A standard schedule of fixes would be good. But for me I don't see why Honeywell can't post a note on the forum of any known bug fixes planned for future releases.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Honeywell likes to think of Evohome as (pretty much) bug-free. That's their corporate culture. I've heard it from more than one person working there.

Given that, I think you're piddling in the wind to expect a bug fix schedule.
                        Last edited by paulockenden; 11 January 2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

How do Honeywell's competition do software upgrades on the radio controlled devices? Eg Radiator controllers etc.

Comment

• pixxelbob
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Apr 2016

I spent a while researching Tado and Evohome and others as I'm sure others do. I went with Evohome because according to the documentation and Tado sales reps the Tado setup cannot function as a standalone system for scheduling. The Tado controller is just a dumb terminal all the automation and scheduling is done on Tado servers. This was always going to be a long term investment startups come and go. If the internet drops or Tado go out of business or have an outage all the automation is gone. You only have basic manual control. Evohome on the other had works perfectly as a standalone system.

Obviously everyone's requirements are different just thought I'd share mine.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

That is very true. Evohome just seems to work...independently of any network or anything. It's roots are as a stand alone system and all the connected stuff seems to be bolted on as a response to competition rather than by design.

Comment

Working...
                              X