Thread: Automated Home lighting

Automated Home Lurker

Default Automated Home lighting

Hi sorry I'm sure this question gets asked a lot I have searched the forum and can not find the answer I need.

I am just about to refurbish my entire home and my architect was talking about a lighting system he had used before that was app controlled specifically iOS HomeKit I think. He also said the system worked via Bluetooth and or wireless with a control box being installed next to the main power supply in the home and then the switches having built in wifi or Bluetooth so they can be controlled via a switch on the wall or an app on a smartphone. I have done some research into system like Lurton and Rako also i am aware on the Phillips Hue system. The problem I have none of these seem to be what he was describing.

Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Dan, I guess the architect was talking about Lightwave? There are a number of products on the market but the ones you have mentioned are defiantly the pro versions. Lutron is the daddy! Rako is the mid range equipment. Both of these have all the lighting circuits run to a central location. (Centralised Lighting) It means all your keypads (light switches) are on a low voltage circuit and communicate back to the panel. This means any light switch can control any light!

Control4 offer a similar solution to what you have described in that Zigbee light switch panels can be retro fitted into light switches to allow dimmer and switch controls.

I would suggest seriously looking into Lutron and Rako if you are going down the whole house refit option. I would though think about a lighting designer as well. You will be amazed how good some of their ideas can be.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the reply AlucoAV the lutron system does sound great but I also do have a budget and I can imagine the cost of this can spiral out of control. I won't count it out but I think I am looking at maybe a cheaper system

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DanEvans View Post
    Thanks for the reply AlucoAV the lutron system does sound great but I also do have a budget and I can imagine the cost of this can spiral out of control. I won't count it out but I think I am looking at maybe a cheaper system
    As mentioned Rako is cheaper. Its not by the same brand but similar in what it can do.

If you go down the route of Lutron or Rako bear in mind that the lighting wiring is completely different to how a house is generally wired.