Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi

Automated Home Legend

For those with either the Netgear or the Linksys mesh kit. Do the various nodes advertise the same SSID on different channels or the same channel? The issue I have at home is I have various APs all joined by a cat cable. They all have the same SSID but different channels. All our Apple devices will happily roam between them. But our main phones are Androids and those just drive me nuts. They won't hop between the APs even when there is a stronger signal. I didn't want to sink some more money if it won't help me.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Same channel and same SSID. Completely the opposite of what seems logical, and yet it works. Brilliantly!

Band steering between 2.4Ghz and 5GHz just seems to work.

This is for Orbi, BTW.

Oh, and a new (not sure if it's out yet, but if not then very soon) firmware update allows you to do the backhaul by Ethernet.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Oh, then in which case I'll look at the Netgear again then. I was only looking at the Linksys because of the Ethernet backhaul. Before I do that I wonder if turning all my APs to use the same channel will make things better. I am fed up with Android just not jumping APs even with special apps that are designed to do precisely that.
    Does the Netgear publish 2.4 and 5g channels with the same SSID too?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Yup. But that's no use unless you have band steering (which Orbi does well).

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    The Fritz!Box does.

Automated Home Legend

Even the BT Hub tried that but the results were not great at all. Maybe I'll wait until the Netgear Orbi is confirmed to use the ethernet backhaul before finally ditching my Apple airport extremes. Oh and the fact that I cannot see the wired clients DCHP table on the Airport is just plain dumb!

Automated Home Guru

I use enterprise quality Ubiquiti Networks Unifi throughout my property and get good strength several hundred yards up the road. It also sorts out the horrendous Sky Q network in my neighbour's house at the top of my garden. It's a lot cheaper than Orbi I think. I connect them by Ethernet rather the wireless backhaul. I chose to use different channels on each unit and has been working well for a long time.
    Last edited by chrisgare; 13th July 2017 at 07:41 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Some of the technicalities conversed about here are beyond me but I can say I have had the Netgear Orbi now for 6 months. Never an issue of any sort with anything. Solid signal, even down the garden. Compare that to my BT Home Hub 6 where connection dropping using an iPad or iPhone was a regular thing several times a week. Not happened now for 6 months. I had issues with every BT Home Hub I have been supplied with over the years.

Automated Home Legend

I already have an gigabit network running in the house and I have 3 APs, same SSID but on different channels. My only reason to even consider other platforms is because Android does such a bad job at switching between APs. It just holds on to the weakest APs until it is completely lost, and that almost never happens, because I don't stay in a mansion.

Just buy an Orbi setup from Amazon and if it doesn't work for you send it back! They are pretty good with returns. If it's "Didn't work as advertised" rather than "Didn't like it" you don't even pay for the return postage!