Controlling 3 separate plug sockets from one thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sanderr2
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2017

Controlling 3 separate plug sockets from one thermostat?

Hi, I'm about to install three electric rads in our sitting room. My plan is to just plug them into three existing power sockets in the room. Ideally I'd like to control these sockets from a single room thermostat. I've seen plenty of options for controlling a single socket from a plug thermostat - or better from a remote room thermostat - eg this one from Floureon

but I can't find a system that would control the power to multiple sockets. I had a look at home automation systems (eg Hive) but while that has the components, it seems that these components aren't well integrated to allow the thermostat module to control multiple sockets.

Is there a simple solution out there?
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Rob
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Won't the rads have their own inbuilt thermostats?

Honeywell thermostats do allow you to pair a single temperature sensor with multiple actuators. So in this case you could buy a Y87RF with two additional BDR91s and pair 3 BDR91s that you will land up with in a way that they all switch on and off together with the thermostat. The BDR91 won't give you a socket interface but can always be wired to have one, or if the radiators will never be moved around then you can always cut the plug off and hardwire the rad into the BDR91. Use the cut plug to get power from the existing socket to the BDR91.

Have you checked that your ring main can take the load of 3 electric radiators?

Comment

• Rameses
      Industry Expert
      • Nov 2014

. . . just remember that the BDR91 can only take 1100w (ish) loads. They are supposed to be relays. If you need a higher load then you would be needing an interconnect. I bought one for for my conservatory and it works fine.
      getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

The older relay units are still available and they do slightly more. But yes absolutely check the rating before you buy.

Comment

• sanderr2
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          Won't the rads have their own inbuilt thermostats?

Honeywell thermostats do allow you to pair a single temperature sensor with multiple actuators. So in this case you could buy a Y87RF with two additional BDR91s and pair 3 BDR91s that you will land up with in a way that they all switch on and off together with the thermostat. The BDR91 won't give you a socket interface but can always be wired to have one, or if the radiators will never be moved around then you can always cut the plug off and hardwire the rad into the BDR91. Use the cut plug to get power from the existing socket to the BDR91.

Have you checked that your ring main can take the load of 3 electric radiators?
          Thanks Bruce. Yes I guess the rads do have an internal thermostat but I'm trying to get away from them being controlled by a local thermostat - it's a very big room and so ideally I want a single thermostat located where it reflects the temperature of where my wife will be sitting, not where the rad is. Your suggestion looks good assuming I can find rads without local thermostatic control (or I just over ride it by setting the local thermostats high). This also assumes my ring main will take the load which is a good point! I see Dimplex do a solution using existing mains wiring to control the rads which would work but I'm really looking for old school style radiators which fit the room rather than the Dimplex offerings which wouldn't look right in the room. I will keep investigating - thanks for your advice and guidance.

Comment

• sanderr2
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2017

Thanks Rameses / Bruce re the max load for the BDR91. That's good to know. Rob

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Compare the specs of the BDR91 and the HC60NG to see which will work better with your rads. Ofcourse the HC60NG will work in any situation instead of a BDR91 but is bigger and probably looks dated too.

Comment

• mylesm
                Automated Home Guru
                • Nov 2015

You could use a Zwave Hub and one thermostat could be linked to multiple Sockets like these

You would also need a Zwave Stat and Hub so could get a bit expensive I use a vera edge hub and Hortsmann Stats

Comment

Working...
                X