Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Completely new heating install, best way to configure for EvoHome?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    many reasons actually. But it's all to do with placing the temperature sensor in the place where you want to feel the most comfortable. And 9 out of 10 times, that isn't near the radiator.
    So one could install Wireless Digital Room Thermostats instead of HR92s in rooms where one spends more time sitting, for example?

Automated Home Ninja

No. You still need HR92s to control the radiators. It's just that's the controller will use the temperature from the thermostat to control the room instead of the temperature from the HR92s.

Automated Home Legend

Measuring the room temperature away from the radiator is always more accurate and preferred, (so long as the location for the thermostat is sensibly chosen) and sometimes it can be necessary - for example if there are drapes hanging over the HR92 or there is furniture right in front of the HR92 or the radiator it won't get a good measurement of room temperature as there will be poor convection around the room, which can lead to the room being several degrees colder than the temperature the HR92 claims.

Every room situation is different so a little bit of experimentation is sometimes needed to see whether a wall thermostat is warranted or not in a given room, and it also depends on how fussy you are about the temperature being spot on - some people are more fussy than others, and it can depend on the usage of the room whether it needs to be accurate or not. For example I like our living room temperature to be "spot on" as we spend a lot of time there in the evening, whereas the exact temperature of the hall, kitchen and bathroom I'm not so fussed about, as long as they're in the ballpark.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 25th January 2017 at 11:04 AM.

Automated Home Legend

It does make one wonder why HW has never offered an actuator only (cheaper?) HR92 variant?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    It does make one wonder why HW has never offered an actuator only (cheaper?) HR92 variant?
    Or a cheaper wall sensor.

I still maintain there is a demand for a remote wall mounted sensor that does the same job as an HCF82 but in the £20-£30 price range instead of for £58... (it's more expensive than a DTS92 with display and buttons ? Why ?)

The HCF82 and DTS92 do not have good WAF ratings at all - my other half has complained about the "ugly" DTS92 in our living room but I finally talked her into it. I'm not particularly keen on the T87RF either, at its price.

Something that was very small, (not much bigger than the batteries) sleek and completely anonymous looking (no branding, no visible buttons or display, no "styling" etc) that could be unobtrusively placed on a wall to blend in would be ideal to provide that extra sensing accuracy of a remote sensor without the high cost and debatable aesthetics of the current range of sensors.

If there was something like this available a few more of my rooms would have remote sensors!

BTW I'm not sure that removing the temperature sensing feature from an HR92 replacement would save any significant cost, and it would make it unusable on its own.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 25th January 2017 at 12:12 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    I'm not particularly keen on the T87RF either, at its price.
    Cheapest I've found them lately is £65 at Vesternet. Your point is still valid though.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    Cheapest I've found them lately is £65 at Vesternet. Your point is still valid though.
    Even if I liked the styling of the T87RF (I suppose its the least offensive of the ones Honeywell sells, although its considerably less functional than a DTS92) that doesn't mean I want one staring out at me on the wall in every room of the house.

But there are rooms where I would like more accurate remote temperature sensing without an obtrusive and obvious thermostat on the wall. It doesn't need any user interface at all as the bind button can be on the back and only accessible after lifting it off its wall mount bracket...

The HCF82 comes closest but it's far too expensive for what it is (a sensor with no user interface) and has weird "styling"...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 25th January 2017 at 12:35 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    But there are rooms where I would like more accurate remote temperature sensing without an obtrusive and obvious thermostat on the wall. It doesn't need any user interface at all as the bind button can be on the back and only accessible after lifting it off its wall mount bracket...
    Well, I can show you how to build your own...

How about something like this as a room sensor ?
    DiscBlue.jpg

To put it into context it's 9.5mm thick and 33mm in diameter.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    Well, I can show you how to build your own...
    Please do.