• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petep
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by dcreager View Post
    I think the ESP32 has plenty of interfacing. What did you mean by 'much easier way'?
    The data transmitted on the RF channel is effectively the output from a UART sending 8N1 data.
    The problem is all the devices in the system have slightly different clock rates and that means you can't use any form of synchronous mode in the radio chip (because it is by definition asynchronous)

evofw3 on the ATMega328 does some very time critical edge measurements requiring at least a 16MHz MCU (in the avr family)
    If there was a HW UART available I think you can just suck the message data out of the radio.

The key is being able to do byte synchronisation on the stop/start bit boundary.
    A HW UART should be able to do this. All the SW UART implementations have to do edge analysis

Comment

• dcreager
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2014

ooooh.....I'll try researching this

Comment

• dcreager
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with NanoCUL (Arduino Nano) with CC1101, evofw3 and zxdavb's python listener script. I have the listener script running as a systemd service logging 24/7 and am not having any problems with it hanging. It works great in fact and has been running continuously for more than a week without interruption now.

Yup...evofw3 removed my hanging....I am still getting occasional encoding errors, but it reports the error and continues....Thanks for pointing me at the latest firmware (I think I was using an earlier evofw2 anyway)

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Just a word of caution. evofw3 is in beta, with a lot of us engaged in testing it. TX isnt available yet, so depending on your use case, you might not be able to use it. e.g. evofw3 isn't suitable yet for use with Domoticz or Home Assistant etc that need two way comms with the Evohome. But if you just want to listen to the radio chatter, then it's the best diy firmware around.

Comment

• dcreager
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
            Just a word of caution. evofw3 is in beta, with a lot of us engaged in testing it. TX isnt available yet, so depending on your use case, you might not be able to use it. e.g. evofw3 isn't suitable yet for use with Domoticz or Home Assistant etc that need two way comms with the Evohome. But if you just want to listen to the radio chatter, then it's the best diy firmware around.
            Understood. Let me know if anyone would be interested in the 'Invalid Manchester Code' messages I am getting from the python listener code.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

We've got plenty of those. Currently the evofw3 is to be considered to be in debug mode. So don't be too alarmed by the error messages. It picks up a lot more than any of it's predecessors, so train your eye to look past the errors, while we continue to work on the firmware.

Comment

• didsbury
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Nov 2018

Pi 4 and RFBee + UARTBee

I acquired an RFBee + UARTBee configured to run this in February.
                I installed it on my Windows 10 machine and it has been running perfectly since.
                Earlier this month I decided that I wanted to move it to a Raspberry Pi and bought a Pi 4 model B 2Gb.
                I have installed Raspian and Domoticz on it. It’s working fine. However, when I add the RFBee + UARTBee combination, It fails to work.

I am presented with 4 serial port options:
                /dev/ttyUSB0
                /dev/serial1
                /dev/ttyAMA0
                /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R-USB_UART_A800F23V-if00-port0
                And three speeds:
                38400, 76800 and 115200.

The ports Serial1 and ttyAMA0 both fail to open at any Baud rate.
                2020-05-19 09:58:17.946 Status: evohome serial: Opening serial port: /dev/ttyUSB0@76800
                2020-05-19 09:58:17.958 Error: ASyncSerial: Error setting options!

The ports /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R-USB_UART_A800F23V-if00-port0
                both report the same errors at 76800 and 115200. However, at 38400 they both report opening. Eventually, sometimes after an hour or two, the following messages appear in the log:
                2020-05-19 09:52:22.197 Status: evohome serial: Opening serial port: /dev/ttyUSB0@38400
                2020-05-19 09:52:31.213 Error: Wunderground: Error getting http data! (Check API key!)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'Ąā ' (2)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'Ąā ' (3)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'Ąā ' (4)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'Ąĩ ' (5)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'ĄZ�' (6)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'ĄD�' (7)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'bƆĄƴěńĆdžƆZǥĄĄ􊄄Dāȧ (8)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'Ąā ' (9)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message ' Ą�' (10)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message '$Ą�' (11)
                2020-05-19 09:52:42.160 Status: evohome: WARNING unrecognised message structure - possible corrupt message 'bƆԄƴ\ǥƅ6džƆċņťĸ' (12)

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong or is the Pi 4 not happy with an RFBee + UARTBee?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

You should be using Baud 76800, that is the issue.

If its working on Windows, it should work on any OS. The RFBee is just a serial device and is OS independent.
                  Close Domoticz down completely and make sure that your OS can actually read anything from that serial port directly using screen or another terminal viewer.
                  Unplug RFBee and look for /dev/tty* devices. Then plug it in and look again. What is your RFBee device called? Is it USB0?
                  Then try the command "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 76800"
                  Last edited by bruce_miranda; 24 May 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• didsbury
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2018

Bruce your private mailbox is full:
                    In reply to your suggestion:
                    I am getting:
                    �K1�
                    ��?��~�ߞ���ֿϟ��sKc�K���>���3�Y�����vz1�KKj�v z7�K�� �vz+�K���vz>�KKB�vKc�K���K1�K�r�vZ��K�r

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

That normally means the baud rate is wrong. What baud rate were you using on Windows where this was working?

Comment

• didsbury
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2018

78600 as recommended

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

There is something strange either with your serial driver or the configuration. The RFBee doesn't care what OS its connected too.

Comment

• didsbury
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Nov 2018

Pi 4 and Uart +RFBEE

I think I will flatten the Pi and start from scratch again.

Is there anyone using RFBee + UARTBee with a different low power computer?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

A lot of us have used that with the Pi.

Comment

• didsbury
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Nov 2018

Oh well, I'm currently reinstalling raspbian and then I'll see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X