• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanD
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Feb 2016

Hi,

I've not used the ESP8266 with the CC1101, but here's a link to someone's set-up which gives a helpful pin-out for the connections required:

You'll see from the pic that they used direct soldered wires to connect the two boards which is a simple solution and avoids the problem of sourcing headers/converters for the different pin spacings. I prefer to use use headers and sockets to allow easy re-use and troubleshooting, but it can be a real pain to track down the necessary parts.

My understanding of thigger's set-up is that they modified petep's firmware to work on the ESP8266 and then they used one of the Evohome listener programs, their post mentions "smar's python listener".

I've bought a few different types of CC1101 modules, but here's the one that I would recommend due to pin header and antenna and they seem to work OK at 868Mhz (I've not used this seller though). It's a different layout from the example above, but the pin-out is labelled on the board header:

[URL="https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CC1101-Wireless-RF-Transceiver-315-433-868-915MHZ-SMA-Antenna-Module-ZX/202683412823[/URL]

Regards,

Dan

Comment

• MaikelK
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by DanD View Post
      Hi,

I've bought a few different types of CC1101 modules, but here's the one that I would recommend due to pin header and antenna and they seem to work OK at 868Mhz (I've not used this seller though). It's a different layout from the example above, but the pin-out is labelled on the board header:

[URL="https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CC1101-Wireless-RF-Transceiver-315-433-868-915MHZ-SMA-Antenna-Module-ZX/202683412823[/URL]

Regards,

Dan
      How do you put this unit in 868mhz mode then?

I saw those to and like the fact of a proper antenne.

Comment

• DanD
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Feb 2016

The center frequency is one of the many CC1101 parameters that are dynamically configurable via the connected MCU. A simplified summary is that the MCU sends these configuration parameters to the CC1101 at startup and these configure the modem, packet handler and data buffer.

Comment

• MaikelK
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2014

Would you have an example of such a script maybe?

I didnt order the board with the wire antenna yet as i like the one you send more for having a real antenna.

Comment

• DanD
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Feb 2016

Here's the link to PetePs firmware https://github.com/ghoti57/evofw2/tree/fifo. CC1101.c contains all the CC1101 configuration stuff. I can't really help with how to port this to an ESP8266 though as all my work has been on various arduino clones.

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

A quick question for those using custom receivers for decoding the Rameses protocol - does anyone know the feasibility of using an RTL-SDR (generic software defined radio) to receive and decode the packets for monitoring purposes, and whether there is any software already written that might be able to do so ?

I have one of these: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

I currently use it for messing around with - primarily for receiving and decoding the 868.3Mhz signal from my Bresser 5 in 1 weather station outdoor unit - which it does brilliantly with a program called rtl_433 which does the decoding of the signal. I also use it for monitoring ADS-B locator transmissions from planes, (up to 50 miles away just with an antenna stuck to the inside of a window, so it seems reasonably sensitive!) and also use SDR Sharp as a general purpose software radio with it.

I can easily tune in 868Mhz in SDR Sharp and see the little blips from Evohome, my Loop energy monitor and my weather station - all of which are relatively close in frequency to each other but have their own distinctive signature on the spectrogram display.

An RTL-SDR is receive only of course so it can't send any messages to the Evohome devices or send requests to elicit responses, but passive monitoring would still be useful for diagnostic purposes and learning more about the protocol and behaviour of the devices. And if I can do it with hardware I already have and cobbling together some software, that's cool.

So is it possible ?
              Last edited by DBMandrake; 22 May 2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• dty
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Aug 2016

I don't see why not. If you drop me a DM with your email address, I'll add you to a Slack group where a bunch of us who know about these things hang out.

Comment

• Zigmat
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • May 2019

Hi,

I'm interested in controlling Honeywell devices as well to have some sort of smart home heating. Recently moved into a house (UK) where it has a Honeywell CM707 as a thermostat (although mine is rebranded) and a BDR91 as the boiler relay.

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  A quick question for those using custom receivers for decoding the Rameses protocol - does anyone know the feasibility of using an RTL-SDR (generic software defined radio) to receive and decode the packets for monitoring purposes, and whether there is any software already written that might be able to do so ?
                  Although it's really early days for me and I don't have much experience in radio (more have a software background), I picked up an RTL-SDR USB stick to do some sniffing of my thermostat. Managed to pick the signal in Universal Radio Hacker but can't seem to write a decoder for the Evohome protocol. However, I saw this post at another home automation forum which should process Evohome signals -- https://github.com/ernst-s/luaradio-evohome. Haven't tried it myself, but might be worth looking into?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Zigmat View Post
                    Although it's really early days for me and I don't have much experience in radio (more have a software background), I picked up an RTL-SDR USB stick to do some sniffing of my thermostat. Managed to pick the signal in Universal Radio Hacker but can't seem to write a decoder for the Evohome protocol. However, I saw this post at another home automation forum which should process Evohome signals -- https://github.com/ernst-s/luaradio-evohome. Haven't tried it myself, but might be worth looking into?
                    Thanks, that looks exactly like what I'm looking for!

I'll report back if I get it working.

Comment

• smar
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by thigger View Post
                      • Is there any way to "inject" commands safely? I'm using evohome-Listener to connect to OpenHAB via MQTT. I've always wanted some form of local control, but equally don't want to end up writing my own software to replace the whole controller!
                      Following the recent evohome web api outage, I have now updated the evohome-listener python/mqtt script to include sending of basic commands (controller mode, setpoint overrides, dhw state etc) via mqtt. You should be able to easily modify it to send other commands if you need to. Pls note though that I could only get the send to work using @petep's fifo branch. I wasn't able to get any response using the master branch, even with different speeds.

Comment

• MaikelK
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by smar View Post
                        Following the recent evohome web api outage, I have now updated the evohome-listener python/mqtt script to include sending of basic commands (controller mode, setpoint overrides, dhw state etc) via mqtt. You should be able to easily modify it to send other commands if you need to. Pls note though that I could only get the send to work using @petep's fifo branch. I wasn't able to get any response using the master branch, even with different speeds.
                        Smar are you also running it on an ESP8266 module? Are you also using Domoticz to read-out the heatdemand for the different zones?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Zigmat View Post
                          Hi,

I'm interested in controlling Honeywell devices as well to have some sort of smart home heating. Recently moved into a house (UK) where it has a Honeywell CM707 as a thermostat (although mine is rebranded) and a BDR91 as the boiler relay.

Got it to work, however I had to make changes to one of the lua block files before it would work. See my post on the linked thread. Luaradio and the necessary dependencies are quite some work to compile and install however I figured it out in the end.

I tried it on both a laptop running Linux Mint and a Raspbery Pi 1 - it didn't seem to work very well on the Pi (it runs but rarely decodes a message) so I suspect Luaradio is too CPU intensive for the original Pi 1 for continuous reception but it might work on a Pi 2 or 3.
                          Last edited by DBMandrake; 31 May 2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• smar
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by MaikelK View Post
                            Smar are you also running it on an ESP8266 module? Are you also using Domoticz to read-out the heatdemand for the different zones?
                            No, I'm running on an Arduino. Heat demand readout is given directly by the python script, but I do use openHAB (another home automation system, similar idea to Domoticz) to log/graph the data, and also for controlling specific evohome events, such as turning heating off when no one at home for an extended period of time etc. As the data is being published onto MQTT, you should be able to use it with almost any home automation system.

Comment

• DanD
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Feb 2016

Hi,

I've now published a couple of Python scripts which perform a backup and restore of the schedules to/from a text file using a serial device. This might be useful if you want to perform bulk changes to setpoints for example. During testing I've confirmed that the maximum number of setpoints per zone is 42 which can be distributed across the week however you wish.

Regards,

Dan

Comment

• smar
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                                Hi,

I've now published a couple of Python scripts which perform a backup and restore of the schedules to/from a text file using a serial device. This might be useful if you want to perform bulk changes to setpoints for example. During testing I've confirmed that the maximum number of setpoints per zone is 42 which can be distributed across the week however you wish.

Regards,

Dan
                                Thanks for this - very useful.

Comment

Working...
                                X