X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petep
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2018

@smar. What firmware are you running. If my FIFO branch do you have OT?

Comment

• smar
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by petep View Post
      @smar. What firmware are you running. If my FIFO branch do you have OT?
      @petep As per my earlier post, I'm running your FIFO branch, but don't have OT yet. My new boiler is due to be installed in a couple of months time, at which time I will be getting the OT module.

Comment

• aelorenzo
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jun 2018

Hi all. I have an Evohome WiFi controller and I would like to set up a radio sniffer. Do you think that a TTGO Lora 868 MHz device like this could do the trick?

Comment

• thigger
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2019

Has anyone tried this with an ESP8266 and a CC1101 radio? I know a CC1101 driver has been written for the ESP8266 but I don't know how "drop in" it is to any of the three firmwares I've seen. Otherwise I guess I'll just try the firmware on a nano clone and connect that to the ESP.

Comment

• MaikelK
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2014

Would also love to know what would be the best and cheapest solution.

Also got a few ESP-01 units laying around, Some NodeMcu’s too.

Comment

• dcreager
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2014

Me as well

Comment

• DanD
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Feb 2016

I think the cheapest & simplest (from a firmware perspective) solution is to connect an arduino Nano clone to a CC1101. Both are only a few £s each and the Nano connects directly to your computer via USB. You can either use a breadboard, direct soldering or sockets to connect the Nano to the CC1101. This then produces a device almost identical to the RFBee, but running at 5v 16MHZ rather than 3.3v 8MHZ and the majority of the firmwares will work. You can also buy these types of CUL devices as a single PCB, but they are pricey, about £40.

If you want to use an alternative MCU then you'll need to mess around with the firmware, mapping pins/interrupts etc, assuming you can use the Arduino IDE with the MCU.

I'm currently using a Nano + CC1101 (both sourced via ebay) at the moment to help me dig into some of the current limitations of the different firmwares.

Comment

• thigger
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2019

My CC1101 finally arrived and I'm now trying to get it to work with OpenHAB via MQTT and smar's python listener. I'm using petep's FIFO firmware at present, though last night was using master with the same results.

I have the old Evohome controller, with a RFG100 gateway. No boiler relay or opentherm but I do have BDR91s on the DHW and CH heating valves (which then fire the boiler via the microswitch). I'm aiming to get some kind of aggregate heat demand for my boiler modulation hack.

- firstly, my CC1101 came with a 433MHz antenna. It seems to be working OK but is it worth trying to switch to an 868MHz tuned one? It strikes me that the harmonics should be vaguely similar which is presumably why it's working.

- lots of "Unknown Command" - 0006 or 10A0. Device 30:071715 seems to be involved; I can't tell if this is the RFG100 or the controller itself?
                  2019-01-30 08:55:27: UNKNOWN COMMAND : 30:071715 : Command code '0006'. MSG: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 0006 001 00
                  2019-01-30 08:56:03: UNKNOWN COMMAND : 30:071715 : Command code '10A0'. MSG: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 10A0 001 00

- Lots of other errors:
                  2019-01-30 08:57:25: ERROR : ZONE_TEMPERATURE: ValueError("invalid literal for int() with base 16: ''",): --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 30C9 001 08
                  2019-01-30 08:57:35: SETPOINT_OVERRIDE : 30:071715 : ERROR - invalid length: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 2349 001 03
                  2019-01-30 08:59:19: DHW_STATUS : 30:071715 : ERROR - invalid msg.payload length: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 1F41 001 00

Can anyone help with these errors? Is the firmware returning expected results or do I need to fiddle with the python code? I'm not sure quite what the messages should look like!

thanks

EDIT - looking into it, it appears the 001 is the message length which is generally too short (and why it's complaining).
                  0006, 0005 and 2349 seem to be being used as some kind of synchronisation effort between what is probably the RFG100 and the controller - the last byte of the payload seems to move around 00 to 0F? Possibly it's asking for updates? (though there are only 12 zones so not sure how it gets as far as 0F)

Comment

• DanD
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Feb 2016

- firstly, my CC1101 came with a 433MHz antenna. It seems to be working OK but is it worth trying to switch to an 868MHz tuned one? It strikes me that the harmonics should be vaguely similar which is presumably why it's working.
                    I'm only using 868MHz antennae and also CC1101s boards marked as 868MHz as I'd assumed (maybe wrongly) that the antenna circuit was tuned for the specific frequency, but it looks like you're receiving messages OK with a 433MHz device.

- lots of "Unknown Command" - 0006 or 10A0. Device 30:071715 seems to be involved; I can't tell if this is the RFG100 or the controller itself?
                    2019-01-30 08:55:27: UNKNOWN COMMAND : 30:071715 : Command code '0006'. MSG: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 0006 001 00
                    2019-01-30 08:56:03: UNKNOWN COMMAND : 30:071715 : Command code '10A0'. MSG: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 10A0 001 00
                    Device type 30 is the RFG100 gateway. You can safely ignore these "Unknown Command" messages as this indicates that the meaning of these commands isn't known by the code (they haven't yet been implemented in the original Domoticz code). The 0x0006 command is a schedule sync message sent between the gateway to controller to check whether there have been any changes since the last exchange of schedule information. The 0x10A0 command is a DHW settings message sent between the gateway and controller.

- Lots of other errors:
                    2019-01-30 08:57:25: ERROR : ZONE_TEMPERATURE: ValueError("invalid literal for int() with base 16: ''",): --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 30C9 001 08
                    2019-01-30 08:57:35: SETPOINT_OVERRIDE : 30:071715 : ERROR - invalid length: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 2349 001 03
                    2019-01-30 08:59:19: DHW_STATUS : 30:071715 : ERROR - invalid msg.payload length: --- RQ --- 30:071715 01:067930 --:------ 1F41 001 00

Can anyone help with these errors? Is the firmware returning expected results or do I need to fiddle with the python code? I'm not sure quite what the messages should look like!
                    These messages look OK as the '001' indicates a 1 byte payload which is correct as these are all followed by just a 1 byte payload. Hence, I think the python code likely needs some tweaks, but you can also ignore these errors as these messages are simply status requests and it's the 'RP' messages which contain the useful info.
                    Last edited by DanD; 30 January 2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• thigger
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                      I'm only using 868MHz antennae and also CC1101s boards marked as 868MHz as I'd assumed (maybe wrongly) that the antenna circuit was tuned for the specific frequency, but it looks like you're receiving messages OK with a 433MHz device.
                      Thanks for the reply and explanations. Irritatingly the module I ordered was one of the few on aliexpress which mentioned 868MHz - but the board and antenna both have 433 on them. Looking at the output it's clear a lot of devices aren't being heard (the RFG100 is in the room next door which is probably why it's seeing so much of that). I tried a large external antenna (also 433MHz unfortunately) and it's improved things slightly but I think you may be right about the modules being tuned. I'll look around for a new module, and when it arrives I'll try to report back on the effects of a 433MHz module with an 868MHz antenna and vice versa!

Comment

• DanD
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Feb 2016

Yes, it is a bit pot-luck with the low-cost CC1101 devices. I was lucky with my first purchase which was a £2 device purchased directly via an Ebay seller in China and an 868MHz device turned up. I decided to purchase my last one from a UK seller which cost £12 as I wanted one with header pins and antenna with socket to help with further testing.

Comment

• thigger
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2019

Well, I have an 868Mhz setup now (with irritating slightly-smaller header spacing that meant I had to alternate pins on each side of the board!). Unfortunately this board doesn't support the SMA connector and has its own little antenna, but the range seems to be much improved and I'm reliably getting messages from all over the house.

My questions now:
                          • Is there any way to "inject" commands safely? I'm using evohome-Listener to connect to OpenHAB via MQTT. I've always wanted some form of local control, but equally don't want to end up writing my own software to replace the whole controller!
                          • How does heat demand work? I have two BDR91s - CH and DHW with no direct boiler control (boiler is fired from the valve microswitches). I frequently see messages suggesting the relay heat demand is 56%, but the actuator is off so the boiler isn't firing. Is the CH relay doing some (very slow) PWM or similar? This even seems to happen if I tell the controller there's an OpenTherm relay (without anything bound) - I just start to get boiler demand messages in the same way - but the actuator turning on and off seems to be independent.

Edit: done a bit of reading and it sounds like this is expected behaviour - TPI at 6 cycles/min with no minimum on-time in the case of my two-relay system. I'm hoping it behaves slightly differently when it thinks there's an OpenTherm boiler connected as the water temperature will vary (which is what I'm expecting to do with my reset-sensor hack)
                          Last edited by thigger; 10 February 2019, 01:36 PM. Reason: heat demand info

Comment

• dty
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Aug 2016

Yes, the heat demand (and config params) are sent to the BDR, and it takes care of turning itself on and off according to the required demand.

You can inject commands, yes. I'm not sure which firmware you're running. If it's mine (or a derivative), this *used* to work. I've not tried it for a long time though, but I see no reason why it shouldn't. Domoticz uses this feature to be able to update the controller mode (away, day off, etc.), the setpoints, etc.

Comment

• DanD
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Feb 2016

Is there any way to "inject" commands safely? I'm using evohome-Listener to connect to OpenHAB via MQTT. I've always wanted some form of local control, but equally don't want to end up writing my own software to replace the whole controller!
                              I play around a lot with injecting commands into my Evohome systems via Domoticz and also directly as part of my of my ongoing work on the Domoticz code, fixing bugs and adding additional functionality. The only time I've ever been able to temporarily mess up my system is during some testing of experimental schedule upload/download functionality which caused the controller to lock-up. This was fixed simply by removing the batteries and it restarted with no problems or loss of information, so I'm pretty confident that you won't mess things up by injecting commands. Unfortunately though, I don't have any simple suggestions for how to directly inject your own messages. I sometimes just send an appropriately structured message via a serial port client e.g. PuTTY etc, but there is very little publicly available information on the message structure etc. so it's pretty much trial and error.

Dan

Comment

• MaikelK
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by thigger View Post
                                Well, I have an 868Mhz setup now (with irritating slightly-smaller header spacing that meant I had to alternate pins on each side of the board!). Unfortunately this board doesn't support the SMA connector and has its own little antenna, but the range seems to be much improved and I'm reliably getting messages from all over the house.
                                Hi thigger,

I also want to use ESP8266 and C1101 to sniff the data from the Evohome.
                                Which C1101 module did you order, do you have a link to it?

Could you discribe how you connect one another and which software you uploaded and how you did it.
                                Im able to upload ESPeasy for example but that's about it... Trying to figure out compiling stuff etc but dont find that to easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X