Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: My HGI80 equivalent Domoticz setup without HGI80

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcreager View Post
    I have successfully managed to get an Raspberry Pi,Arduino Nano and CC1101 to drive the evohome python listener. Took some tweaks and it seems to hang whenever I get a "manchester encoding error" which is about once a day.

I am interested in porting the arduino firmware to ESP32, (with the intent of getting rid of the arduino and then the raspberry pi). Is anyone else looking at this?
    Make sure you pick a device that has a spare hardware UART you can interface to the CC1101.
    There's potentially a much easier way to get the data from the radio

Automated Home Jr Member

argh..,...I have got myself in a mess with the various firmware versions. I'll move to evofw3. That will teach me to read this long thread more carefully.

Automated Home Jr Member

argh..,...I have got myself in a mess with the various firmware versions. I'll move to evofw3. That will teach me to read this long thread more carefully.
    That may actually be the first reference to evofw3 on this thread

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes I think it is Anyway......I will try this firmware

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by petep View Post
    Make sure you pick a device that has a spare hardware UART you can interface to the CC1101.
    There's potentially a much easier way to get the data from the radio
    I think the ESP32 has plenty of interfacing. What did you mean by 'much easier way'?

Automated Home Jr Member

I think the ESP32 has plenty of interfacing. What did you mean by 'much easier way'?
    The data transmitted on the RF channel is effectively the output from a UART sending 8N1 data.
    The problem is all the devices in the system have slightly different clock rates and that means you can't use any form of synchronous mode in the radio chip (because it is by definition asynchronous)

evofw3 on the ATMega328 does some very time critical edge measurements requiring at least a 16MHz MCU (in the avr family)
    If there was a HW UART available I think you can just suck the message data out of the radio.

The key is being able to do byte synchronisation on the stop/start bit boundary.
    A HW UART should be able to do this. All the SW UART implementations have to do edge analysis

Automated Home Jr Member

ooooh.....I'll try researching this

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with NanoCUL (Arduino Nano) with CC1101, evofw3 and zxdavb's python listener script. I have the listener script running as a systemd service logging 24/7 and am not having any problems with it hanging. It works great in fact and has been running continuously for more than a week without interruption now.

Yup...evofw3 removed my hanging....I am still getting occasional encoding errors, but it reports the error and continues....Thanks for pointing me at the latest firmware (I think I was using an earlier evofw2 anyway)

Automated Home Legend

Just a word of caution. evofw3 is in beta, with a lot of us engaged in testing it. TX isnt available yet, so depending on your use case, you might not be able to use it. e.g. evofw3 isn't suitable yet for use with Domoticz or Home Assistant etc that need two way comms with the Evohome. But if you just want to listen to the radio chatter, then it's the best diy firmware around.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Just a word of caution. evofw3 is in beta, with a lot of us engaged in testing it. TX isnt available yet, so depending on your use case, you might not be able to use it. e.g. evofw3 isn't suitable yet for use with Domoticz or Home Assistant etc that need two way comms with the Evohome. But if you just want to listen to the radio chatter, then it's the best diy firmware around.
    Understood. Let me know if anyone would be interested in the 'Invalid Manchester Code' messages I am getting from the python listener code.