X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

yes a lot of my Arduino stuff still uses the mini....but the old dual usb cables we used to have to use for drives are handy especially when you need the extra current.

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

I used to play with Arduino stuff a lot, but it's all Pi and NodeMCU these days (both of which use the RIGHT connector!)

Comment

• smar
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Feb 2018

I've just read every post in this long thread and wanted to thank you for all the tremendous hard work you guys have put into this!

I'm looking to get heating damand data into another home automation system (openHAB), and given the experiences you've all had so far, would you recommend the nanoCUL based solution or to go with the HGI80. Do the issues with start/stop bits warrant the extra spend on an HGI80?

I may also be changing my boiler in a few months time, and if so, may well look at openTherm as well. I read that there were some problems in receiving OT data, but was wondering if any of you have managed to progress any further on this?

Thanks again!

Comment

• dty
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Aug 2016

The HGI80 is the least risky route, but they are expensive (relatively) and hard to source.

petep has made some significant changes to my firmware which I need to test in an OpenTherm environment to see if they improve matters.

Comment

• smar
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by dty View Post
            petep has made some significant changes to my firmware which I need to test in an OpenTherm environment to see if they improve matters.
            That's great. In that case I might as well wait till you've had a chance to test out petep's changes. What about the issues with start/stop bits or are they not as much of an issue?

Comment

• dty
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Aug 2016

Hopefully it's all the same issue.

Comment

• smar
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Feb 2018

Ok thanks.

Comment

• petep
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Jan 2018

Just got back from a longer than expected trip to Dublin (thank you, Beast from the East and Emma)

I've only got the RX side of the code changes working so far but think I'm seeing fewer problems in the received messages and then only those from the most remote radio in my house.

I hope to get back to looking at TX this week. I believe that will be more reliable than the existing code and much better at co-existing with other transmitters (i.e. not stomping over active messages).

Don't have access to OT so need to see how others get on with that.

Also, the processor is idle most of the time so it may offer better low-power opportunities for those interested in using the nanoCUL in a repeater mode.

Comment

• smar
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Feb 2018

That's great to hear - thanks for the update petep.

Comment

• smar
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Feb 2018

I have finally received my C1101 from China, and put it together with a clone arduino nano - all in about £5 to £6! It seems to be working great so far - sincere thanks everyone for all your efforts on this.

As I use openHAB for my home automation, I've put together a python script (based on the Domoticz evohome radio code), that posts the evohome received messages to an mqtt server. In case anyone else is interested, it is uploaded to github on https://github.com/smar000/evohome-Listener.

Comment

• petep
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Jan 2018

Which code are you running on the nano?

Comment

• smar
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by petep View Post
                          Which code are you running on the nano?
                          I'm running your fifo branch.

Comment

• petep
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Jan 2018

Do you have an OT module in your system?

If so are you seeing messages?

Comment

• smar
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Feb 2018

No, I don't have OT yet as current boiler is ancient! New boiler due to be installed end of next month, and so will be buying the OT interface at that time.

Comment

• smar
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Feb 2018

I've actually built two of these nano/C1101 kits - one for my brother's house. Interestingly, over the last 4 days, he has not had a single packet loss warning, whereas in my case, I do get one or two every 10/20 minutes. Admittedly my setup is larger than his (he has 4 TRVs + UFH on a BDR91 whereas mine is 16 TRVs + DHW), so I'm wondering whether that is the reason, or whether it is simply down to the quality of my soldering between the two units...

Comment

Working...
                                X