Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: My HGI80 equivalent Domoticz setup without HGI80

Automated Home Ninja

Yes. You'll need an antenna to go with it. I use this one: "Antenna RP-SMA +3dBi 5cm"

I'd upload a picture, but for some reason the forum software isn't letting me. The Pi no longer fits in the standard case, so it would need some alternative enclosure (I'm thinking of using a margarine tub and just hiding the whole lot away somewhere!) or some modifications to the standard case.

Automated Home Guru

I've decided to go the 'homebrew' route too, but I'm going to try an RFBee with a UartSBee. I plan to initially use it to help troubleshoot some difficulties I'm having with my Evohome Domoticz development. I hope to also be able to finalise some additional Domoticz features which I've not been able to successfully implement with the HGI80.

Automated Home Ninja

As far as I can make out, the RFBee is similar to the SCC in that it combines an Atmel MCU and a TI CC1101 on one board. I've read that the UartSBee can cause problems for a Raspberry Pi. Something to do with the number of interrupts it, or the driver, generate. But you have the advantage that you can plug into something other than a Raspberry Pi which you can't with my solution.

Automated Home Ninja

By the way, I'm very close to getting OpenTherm if that's helpful for you?

Automated Home Guru

@dty

Thanks for all the info. The opentherm bridge is on my Domoticz to-do list, so let me know when you're set-up. I've got some logging info from a couple of users, but some more data will help. I think I'm going to focus on fixing the implementation of a couple of the Honeywell devices (opentherm bridge, underfloor controller and the T87 thermostat) whilst I'm waiting for the RFBee stuff.

Dan

Issue is with FTDI chips generating too many interrupts that can cause the Pi to hit NAK throttle threshold. Easily solved with the following

Add, dwc_otg.nak_holdoff=1 to /boot/cmdline.txt which gives you upto ~3MBaud so probably fine for most cases.

Automated Home Legend

In fact I wouldn't bother with an OT bridge actually, if I had to do this again. I would just build an eBus interface and alter the target flow and fire the boiler as required directly using the information already available within Domoticz. I feel the OT bridge runs the boiler at max too much when only CH is being used.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    In fact I wouldn't bother with an OT bridge actually, if I had to do this again. I would just build an eBus interface and alter the target flow and fire the boiler as required directly using the information already available within Domoticz. I feel the OT bridge runs the boiler at max too much when only CH is being used.
    Honestly, I'm on the verge of ditching the controller completely and writing my own, far more flexible one...

Automated Home Guru

Happy to report that my SeeedStudio RFBee and UartSBee have now arrived and I've got them up and running with the fullTalgoRythm/EvohomeWirelessFW firmware as an alternative to the HGI80. It's connected to my Windows machine running Domoticz at the moment, but should work OK on my Pi too.

RFBee.JPG

It was my first time messing with Arduino stuff. Not too painful a learning curve, but I was a bit impatient and I think I should really have understood a bit more what I was actually doing! Hopefully this will help me progress further with the development of some of the new Evohome functionality in Domoticz. It shouldn't matter which type of non-HGI80 device is used as long as Domoticz can connect to it via a serial port.

Dan

Dan - Great info, I've just taken delivery of my Evohome kit. So looks like I'll give RFBee a go before splashing out on an HGI80.

I've noticed that Rapid Electronics are carrying RFBee in the UK.