Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: My HGI80 equivalent Domoticz setup without HGI80

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Packet says 1.1 but the PCB says 1.2.

UartSBee is V5.

Automated Home Guru

FYI:

I've just posted a simple Python script to my Github area which I thought might be of use to anyone who's using either a HGI80 or their own device to communicate with their Evohome system. The purpose of the script is to loop through all possible numeric values (0x0000-0xFFFF) and see if the RQ command receives a response from the controller. You probably won't want to run the script in its current form as it'll run for about 2 days! However, I find the skeleton of the script useful for testing out communicating with the system via a serial device so thought I'd share the approach. I hope to find some time to create a similar script which documents all the currently known commands and includes the full range of message types, I, W, RQ and RP. You could use this Python scripting approach as an alternative to Domoticz, if you just wanted to perform simple actions via the serial device, or if you just wanted to play .

https://github.com/Evsdd/Evohome_Command_Hunting.git

Dan

Automated Home Sr Member

@DanD

1) Big thanks for the Domoticz software you've done. Just got a HGI80 and connected everything. Decided against running on a Pi and it now runs on a Windows Server 2012 R2 as a Service - absolutely no problems (apart from the slightly arcane requirement for the HGI80 USB driver installation, but that's only a one time thing).

2) I've got ideas/requests/questions about your Evohome stuff - where's the best place to ask? Here or over on Domoticz site?

Automated Home Guru

@MrB,

Thanks for the great feedback!

With regards to specific questions/ideas about Evohome+Domoticz, it's probably best to post any detailed technical questions in the Heating/Cooling section of the Domoticz forum. However, for general ideas like 'wouldn't it be great if you could do this with Evohome+Domoticz' type stuff I'd suggest a new topic on this forum as there are quite a few active users who'll be able to provide their views too.

Dan

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    All,

Just a quick update to let you know that I've finally had success sending and receiving with my RFBee!!! It turns out that the main problem was due to some variable type casting differences with my compiler/platform which caused a memory leak. Once these were fixed, I still had a little trouble with timing, but moving the baud rate in either direction seems to work OK (74880 or 250000). I need to complete a bit more testing and once completed, I'll add an updated version of the firmware to my github area.

And just to celebrate, here's a pic of the finished device .

Dan
    Keep up the good work Dan, my Uartsbee V5 has arrived from China very promptly, but no sign of the RFBee yet, and then I can join the fray.

Automated Home Guru

Another little success to celebrate, my RFBee family has grown! I've now completed my standalone RFBee, using a Xbee Carrier, an RFBee and an external Li-ion battery. It's currently running a simple message repeater sketch which I'll add to my Github area when I've completed testing. The repeater function is very simplistic at the moment and repeats all messages it receives. I'll have to see whether this causes any problems on my Evohome system.

RFBee Family.JPG

PS If you look closely at the new RFBee, you'll spot that it's a Duinopeak v1.2 (my other RFBee is a SeeedStudio v1.2). They seem identical apart from the different antenna designs.

Automated Home Lurker

Please keep up the good work Dan, My RFBee finally landed this morning and I have flashed it with the evohomewirelessfw code. Going to see if I can register it in domoticz later.... I dont have access to an evohome controller, so relying on resources from you and others to help me move forward with headerless control. Cheers.

Automated Home Lurker

@ Dan , et al
    Can you advise how you have connected the RFBee in Domoticz to do your development work. thanks.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shutty View Post
    Please keep up the good work Dan, My RFBee finally landed this morning and I have flashed it with the evohomewirelessfw code. Going to see if I can register it in domoticz later.... I dont have access to an evohome controller, so relying on resources from you and others to help me move forward with headerless control. Cheers.
    I really wouldn't recommend doing this with an RFBee at this stage. There are still too many issues that need ironing out. An HGI80 maybe, but not the RfBee. You can however join in the development if you want. There is a git branch going for this.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I really wouldn't recommend doing this with an RFBee at this stage. There are still too many issues that need ironing out. An HGI80 maybe, but not the RfBee. You can however join in the development if you want. There is a git branch going for this.
    Thanks Bruce, I hear you and i know it is at an early development stage, I want some basic hr92 scheduled zoning control in the house, without an evohome controller ! I dabbled with the hgi80 before sending back, Dan established that it cant provide the headerless control of the hr92's on its own so doing it from scratch with RFBee appears to be the only option. My programming skills are rusty, but I want to support this effort if i can... I am just looking to jump in at the right point without reinventing the wheel, I have no insight on the messaging structure to and from the hr92 and without a controller cant support working this out, but it looks like between you all and Dan's sterling efforts, this is largely known now. So relying on the good work this forum is doing to give me an insight... What is the git branch I should be following. thanks.