• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Git
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2017

iPhone App for Evohome

Hi All,

been running a Evohome install for several months now without too much in the way of trouble. The setup is slightly complicated with lots of underfloor heating loops on ground floor and HR92 on rads on first and second floor. Because this is a large property we've had to set two locations one which covers the ground floor and a second location covering the fist and second floor. In addition theirs a third location covering an annexe which also uses UFH and Rads on the first floor.

As I say, everything has worked just fine for months (installed it all last June/July) and have been using the iPhone app to control it on the fly whenever a modification was required.

The basic setting for the UFH in the main location is that it knocks off at 11:30 pm when the set temperature drops to 15 degrees. Even in very cold temperatures of the last two weeks the rooms have never gotten cold enough to drop below 15 and call the boiler. Last night, (the warmest night we've had in more than two weeks) the boiler was called at 1:00 am and when I checked what was going on (using the iPhone app) I found that the App was reporting a permanent set temperature for 62 degrees for every zone, but oddly it was not showing the names of those zones. I was forced to permanently turn of the heating and then go to the controller and re-establish the schedule, which seemed to work. However, the iPhone app is still not communicating properly with the controller, it still isn't showing the names of the zones and at times it tells me the app is not compatible with the set up. I can make modifications to each zone and these seem to take at OK and this can be checked at the controller. However, the app still isn't showing all the info that is expected (including zone names) and is not now showing even the room temperatures. I have deleted and re-installed the app twice, the second time powering off the iPhone in between delete and re-install all to no avail. I have deleted the app a third time, upgraded the IOS on the phone the to latest version, and re-installed the app. Still, it is not reporting the info for that particular location properly. The odd thing is that the set locations for the first and second floors and for the annexe do report themselves correctly, it's just the location for the ground floor that is not reporting itself.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and if so was it fixable without deleting and setting up all the zones on the ground floor? Is this an iPhone issue, a controller issue or an Evohome account issue?

EDIT: A bit of extra info, if I try to look at the schedule for one of the zones I get a "Schedule unavailable, there is a problem retrieving your schedule. Please check your systems compatibility or try again later." However, If I make a change, like overriding the schedule and setting the heating on permanently it will update the controller settings. So it is communicating to the controller, but it is not receiving updates back from the controller.

It's most likely the controller at fault here but is there a way to a force a power recycle of the controller or force a firmware upgrade to the controller?

Incidentally, I have the same problem whether I access via the home Wifi or via data on 4G.

Pete
    Last edited by Old Git; 28 January 2017, 05:28 PM.
  • Jom
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Old Git View Post
    Hi All,

been running a Evohome install for several months now without too much in the way of trouble. The setup is slightly complicated with lots of underfloor heating loops on ground floor and HR92 on rads on first and second floor. Because this is a large property we've had to set two locations one which covers the ground floor and a second location covering the fist and second floor. In addition theirs a third location covering an annexe which also uses UFH and Rads on the first floor.

As I say, everything has worked just fine for months (installed it all last June/July) and have been using the iPhone app to control it on the fly whenever a modification was required.

The basic setting for the UFH in the main location is that it knocks off at 11:30 pm when the set temperature drops to 15 degrees. Even in very cold temperatures of the last two weeks the rooms have never gotten cold enough to drop below 15 and call the boiler. Last night, (the warmest night we've had in more than two weeks) the boiler was called at 1:00 am and when I checked what was going on (using the iPhone app) I found that the App was reporting a permanent set temperature for 62 degrees for every zone, but oddly it was not showing the names of those zones. I was forced to permanently turn of the heating and then go to the controller and re-establish the schedule, which seemed to work. However, the iPhone app is still not communicating properly with the controller, it still isn't showing the names of the zones and at times it tells me the app is not compatible with the set up. I can make modifications to each zone and these seem to take at OK and this can be checked at the controller. However, the app still isn't showing all the info that is expected (including zone names) and is not now showing even the room temperatures. I have deleted and re-installed the app twice, the second time powering off the iPhone in between delete and re-install all to no avail. I have deleted the app a third time, upgraded the IOS on the phone the to latest version, and re-installed the app. Still, it is not reporting the info for that particular location properly. The odd thing is that the set locations for the first and second floors and for the annexe do report themselves correctly, it's just the location for the ground floor that is not reporting itself.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and if so was it fixable without deleting and setting up all the zones on the ground floor? Is this an iPhone issue, a controller issue or an Evohome account issue?

EDIT: A bit of extra info, if I try to look at the schedule for one of the zones I get a "Schedule unavailable, there is a problem retrieving your schedule. Please check your systems compatibility or try again later." However, If I make a change, like overriding the schedule and setting the heating on permanently it will update the controller settings. So it is communicating to the controller, but it is not receiving updates back from the controller.

It's most likely the controller at fault here but is there a way to a force a power recycle of the controller or force a firmware upgrade to the controller?

Incidentally, I have the same problem whether I access via the home Wifi or via data on 4G.

Pete
    Hi Pete,
    I had a problem with my controller just a week ago where the clock stopped. Rebooting the controller, remove the front cover and pop out the batteries. Controller rebooted and clock started up again. I had seen on here that a few others had a similar clock problem and that rebooting the controller sorted them also.
    Updating firmware I think is only possible when Honeywell decide to roll out updates. My system is in about 15 months and in that time firmware update was released only once, timing decided by Honeywell.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Comment

• Old Git
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2017

The controller and the heating are all working just fine, it's the iPhone app that's gone screwy! I just can't get any updates from the controller to the App (I can send instructions from the App to the controller but I can't get the app to update its status from the controller's current status), although the other two controllers (in the two other locations) are reporting themselves just fine. Have now removed the batteries and re-booted the controller, still no joy updating the iPhone app. It's definitely and comms issue between the iPhone app and this specific controller.

In a moment I am going to steal my wife's iPad and install the app on that to see if it's specific to my iPhone 6, if I can isloate that end of the cooms then it's a case of dealing with the controller and maybe raising a support issue with Honeywell.

Comment

• Old Git
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2017

Just installed the app on my son's iPhone and got exactly the same thing. He's never had the app on this phone before so it's definitely a comms issue at the controller level. I shall have to raise a support issue with Honeywell.

EDIT: Just logged into my account on my laptop and renamed the location for this errant controller. I thought if it was a slight corruption in the database a re-save under a new name might fix the problem and at the very least let me see if the system updates the app with the change of name for the location.

It did update the iPhone app to reflect the change of name on the location, but it did nothing to fix the problems. Still can't use the iPhone app to see zone names, zone temps, zone target temps or interrogate the schedules for any of these zones.
        Last edited by Old Git; 28 January 2017, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Is your iPhone connecting to the Internet via Wi-Fi or mobile data?

Whichever it is, try forcing the other and see whether you get the same issue. That way we'll eliminate the (slight) chance that the problem sits somewhere in the middle between Honeywell's servers and your phone.

Comment

• Old Git
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2017

Thanks Paul, but tried that already. The fact that the other two location controllers are correctly reporting themselves (on the same app and the same Honeywell account) would indicate that it's a problem specific to this controller. I was hoping that someone here will have seen this particular problem before, if not then it's a case of waiting for Honeywell to look into it. I have raised it with Honeywell and hopefully they'll resolve the issue, I'll report back when I've heard from them.

Comment

• killa47
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2016

Could the router be blocking data transmission for some reason from the controller to the Honeywell server. I don't know if a specific setup is required for using multiple controllers.
              I only use one controller but maybe the router has got confused with running three controller data transmissions.

You could try deleting the router entry for the controller in question. The router should then automatically reassign a new IP address.
              Might be worth checking.

Comment

• Old Git
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2017

It's not a router / Firewall problem. The other two controllers are still providing the correct status information to the iPhone app which shows that the relevant ports on the firewall, required by the Honeywell protocols, are already open. No, this is quite clearly a data set corruption specific to this controller. The question is where the corruption has occurred, at the server level or in the controller itself. If it is a corruption then can it be edited and repaired by the support team or will I need to delete the entire location and re-establish it and all the zones from scratch again. I'm hoping Honeywell can fix it from their end!

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                  • Feb 2009

Delete the 'problem' location your account at the TCC website then re-add it. That normally fix a these kinds of problems. Seems to be a server-side corruption of the location in many cases.
                  Sensible Heat
                  SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Old Git
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2017

Yeah, that would be my next step too take. However, before I blat the problem I want to know exactly what happened and why, so will wait for Honeywell to get back to me first. Hopefully, they can interrogate the raw data set to see exactly where the problem occurred and why.

I had hoped that by posting it here I'd get some feedback from others who may have seen this problem before but as no-one has yet posted with a similar experience then I guess it's not something that is all that common!

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                      • Feb 2009

I have seen issues with phantom zones with 62 degrees setpoints or where the entire zones are replaced with unnamed zones with 62 degrees setpoints, and the fix from Honeywell was to remove location and re-add. There has been so specific feedback as to why his has happened, the only common issue is that they have multiple Evos associated with the same address (our installed are usually all multiple Evos, it is rare we have installs with only one controlller).
                      Sensible Heat
                      SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Old Git
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jan 2017

Well, this is interesting! In general do you find that the corruption occurs with the primary, default location or can it occur in any of the locations?

Comment

• Old Git
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2017

I had a reply from Evohome support waiting in my Inbox when I powered up my Laptop this morning. They made some changes at the server end and asked me to log out, and back in again, on the iPhone app. Grabbed my iPhone and ran up the app only to discover that the problem was fixed and that it wasn't necessary to log out at all. I've asked them to explain what they problem was and what they did to resolve it and whether it was a known issue with accounts configured for multiple locations / controllers. I will update this thread with whatever they come back with.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                            • Feb 2009

In our experience when the 'fault' occurs it can be any of the locations, so no obvious pattern we've spotted. It's not common, we've many hundreds of Evos installed and his has occurred on a few locations.
                            Sensible Heat
                            SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Old Git
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jan 2017

Thanks for the reply, I haven't yet had an update from Honeywell on what they did to rectify the problem, nor on my secondary request for their recommended methods on attaching a hot water sensor to a Megaflow.

Comment

Working...
                              X