• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evoboff
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2016

Additional room thermostats

I'm looking to add additional room thermostats to my evohome setup (as some of the HR92s give misleading readings due to radiator positioning). Am I correct in thinking that all of the following can be used as room temperature sensors - DTS92, HCF82 and HCW82? Are they all battery operated or do they need a mains connection? What are the relative benefits of each, as they all appear to be a similar price? Thanks
  • dty
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Aug 2016

And the T87RF

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

I have most of those here. Hcf82 is simple, and offers no control. Looks a bit odd. Hcw82 really is odd! The way it interacts with Evohome is very odd. The override actually adjusts the set points at each scheduled temperature change. It can be really confusing. Dts92 looks a bit clunky, but offers the greatest level of control. As well as allowing local over-rides it also has an 'Eco' function (different from the controller's economy mode) which you can set for a certain number of degrees. You can even use it to boost the temp.

Lastly there's the T87rf (sometimes known as the szt, or single zone thermostat). It's the most stylish of all of these, but having said that it's not as stylish as some of the kit available in other systems. It offers very simple controls.

They all run on batteries.

My advice: if you want a sensor for a room that isn't used much, or in a place where people won't see it, get whichever you can find cheapest. If you want the greatest level of control get the Dts92, and if you want something to stick on a wall in a frequently used part of the house get a T87rf.

Comment

• chrisgare
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2013

I use DTS92s in many of my rooms and they work perfectly. I usually position them on the opposite wall to where the radiator is located. They work especially well where the actuator is located very close to a door where cold air drafts can influence the sensor. They come with a table-top stand so they can sit on any flat surface and be moved around with ease.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Two DTS92's here - one in the living room, one in the bedroom. Both wall mounted.

I would have more if they weren't so expensive (even though they're the cheapest of all the available Honeywell sensors) as they really do make a major difference to accurate temperature keeping in some rooms. For a radiator mounted sensor the HR92's do the best they can and work very well in some rooms but in other rooms they (and any other radiator mounted sensor) just don't cut it.

For example our dining room has a 2 metre long convector under a large window but unfortunately in the latest room reconfiguration the dining table now runs along parallel with the full length of the radiator less than a foot from it for space saving reasons and basically completely obscures it as far as direct radiant heat goes with only convection contributing to the room temperature. (Not my idea! )

Not only has this significantly cut the total heat output into the room it has also caused the HR92 temperature reading to be more or less useless - even though I have a calibration of -2 the room as measured by a free standing thermostat on another bench top is typically as much as 3 degrees below the claimed temperature. (Would have been 5 degrees if not for the -2 calibration)

This room is begging for a remote wall mounted sensor to solve the problem but it's not in the budget at the moment...

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

I know, I've been an Evohome user since December 2014 and should know the immediate answer to this question myself but it's ages since I messed around with the actual installation for it simply works. However, I think it may be better in my living room to use the wall thermostat as opposed to the HR92s (I have 2 radiators). Presumably I just unbind the HR92s and then bind the wall thermostat or do I need to configure the HR92s in any way so that the control panel talks to them when the thermostat wants changes?

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

If you have the Wi-Fi controller you don't have to unbind anything.

Just go into manual setup and then the zone configuration for the zone and choose the sensor option.

Follow the steps to bind a remote sensor - job done! You can use this approach to change sensor to an HR92 that is already bound as well to change which HR92 is the sensor if you have multiple ones in a zone.
              Last edited by DBMandrake; 30 January 2017, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Karrimor
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Oct 2016

What is the best location to position a DTS92 Wireless Room Thermostat?
                And how many meters off the from the ground should it be installed? 1.5 meters from the ground? Or waist height? Thanks.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Karrimor View Post
                  What is the best location to position a DTS92 Wireless Room Thermostat?
                  And how many meters off the from the ground should it be installed? 1.5 meters from the ground? Or waist height? Thanks.
                  This post might help you:

Comment

• CT1
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Apr 2016

Hi, I have had my Evohome for about a year now and am adding some T87RF thermostats as remote sensor to achieve better temperature control than achieved with just the HR92s. other than changing the temperature sensor on the Controller (Wifi version) will I need to make any other changes on the HR92 or controller to remove the old binding? Thanks

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Nope, no other changes needed. See the description in one of my earlier posts of what to do.

Comment

• CT1
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Apr 2016

I can see how to add the new sensor to the zone at the controller, just wanted to make sure I did not have to do anything extra to remove old HR92 sensor binding. I will go ahead and add them. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X