• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StuartP
    • Feb 2004

Evohome - Real World Savings.

All,

I'd be interested to see what real world savings people are getting as a result of installing evohome, would probably be great if you could provide details of where you started, and where you've got to. Did it match what you were expecting, or what the evohome specification tool had forecast.
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I think I'm saving around 15%, but for me the big advantage of Evohome is comfort - I don't really see it as a cost saving thing.

P.

Comment

• dty
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Aug 2016

For me, Evohome has cost money! We have a large (4000 sqft) sprawling house and it used to be controlled with a timer/programmer from the 1500's and a single thermostat. So, the dining room was always spot on, but some of the extremities of the house were struggling to get warm and starting to suffer from damp, mould, etc. So now those rooms are nice and warm too. And warm = £££.

Comment

• Bazinga
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2015

We installed our system on 27th December 2014.
        From 26 December 2013 to the 26th December 2014 we used gas at a rate of 11223 KW/year.
        From 27th December 2014 to 13th December 2015 we used gas at a rate of 9617 KW/year. We weren't at home during that Christmas however, so I don't have exact date to date data. These figures are pro-rated anyway.
        From 13th December 2015 to 27th December 2016 we used gas at a rate of 8328 KW/year. This figure is lower than usual due to us being away. I estimate that we saved about 700 KW from being on holiday though.
        So our annual gas usage fluctuates but it seems around 9000 KW/year so we're saving 2,200 KW/year from having Evohome which on our current tariff is £75. As noted above though, the biggest benefit is comfort. We had a few cold rooms in the past because the radiators weren't balanced as well as they should be. They still aren't, but it's not an issue anymore because only a handful of rooms are heated at any given time and there is plenty capacity to heat those rooms. It's great also to have a lovely toasty warm bathroom to have a shower in without having to heat up the bedroom unnecessarily.

Comment

• doni
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2016

I've only had evohome for a couple of months, but the reason we bought was for comfort and not to reduce cost. Any cost savings you might generate are unlikely to offset the cost of the system before we decide to replace it.

As dty points out our costs may well go up - previously all rooms were TRV controlled with a central thermostat within the living room. Now each room is controlled independently which has resulted in a more comfortable environment.

Comment

• iswoolley
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            ...but for me the big advantage of Evohome is comfort - I don't really see it as a cost saving thing...
            Same for us. It'll take many years, if ever, to recoup the cost of the system. But the difference in the comfort is tangible.

Comment

• HenGus
              Automated Home Legend
              • May 2014

I am in my third Winter. Gas consumption has fallen from c.10400 to 7600kwhs in 2016. Unless we have an early Spring, I am guessing that my usage will be higher this year as this month is already well above last year's figure. Looking to the future, a key factor for me will be component replacement costs. If they start to exceed the savings, then I may have a difficult decision to make.

Comment

• PaulB
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Sep 2015

My heating costs have skyrocketed with Evohome installed... as the missus can control the temps from her phone

Comment

• rotor
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Aug 2015

Comfort is night and day. Savings I don't see how, unless you have parts of the house sealed off, which you could've managed with TRVs (no need for Evohome) anyway. For everyone to say comfort, says that their house was previously cold in certain areas. If those areas are no longer cold, more gas must've been used to heat them up.

Comment

• MichaelD
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                    I am in my third Winter. ... Looking to the future, a key factor for me will be component replacement costs. If they start to exceed the savings, then I may have a difficult decision to make.
                    I installed my 8 radiator (CM-Zone) system in July 2007, then upgraded the controller to the new touchscreen Evohome controller about 3 years ago, keeping all the original radiator controllers. I could have stayed with the original controller, but wanted to upgrade to Internet connectivity. Three radiator controllers have failed so far, and I've put HR92s in place of the old HR80s, so its averaging £15 per year for component replacements. Which I think is amazing.

Upgrading to get something new just for the fun of it is all justified using man-maths, so the costs if you want to do that in the future aren't relevant

Comment

• rotor
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
                      Upgrading to get something new just for the fun of it is all justified using man-maths, so the costs if you want to do that in the future aren't relevant
                      Haha brilliant: man-maths.

Comment

• HenGus
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
                        I installed my 8 radiator (CM-Zone) system in July 2007, then upgraded the controller to the new touchscreen Evohome controller about 3 years ago, keeping all the original radiator controllers. I could have stayed with the original controller, but wanted to upgrade to Internet connectivity. Three radiator controllers have failed so far, and I've put HR92s in place of the old HR80s, so its averaging £15 per year for component replacements. Which I think is amazing.

Thanks - that's good to know.

Comment

• CT1
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Apr 2016

I installed Evohome to improve comfort rather than for savings and have not noticed any significant cost savings. I already have a A rated house and it was the increased insulation that caused my problems. The hall with the room thermostat would reach temperature but other rooms would not be hot enough. Moving the thermostat would not help as different rooms were in use at different times of day and once a room was hot enough no other room could be raised in temperature without turning up the room stat causing that room to become like a sauna. With Evohome I can now control each room individually and get the heat where I need it, when I need it. Expensive but well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                          X