Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domoticz Evohome HGI80 multi-controller update released

Automated Home Ninja

Default Domoticz Evohome HGI80 multi-controller update released

I've just released an update to the Domoticz Evohome code which fixes problems in using the HGI80 to monitor and control an Evohome system in environments with multiple Evohome installations or other Honeywell wireless thermostat systems. I've updated the Domoticz Evohome wiki section 'Adding Evohome Hardware Device to Domoticz' which describes how to enter your controller ID to enable this functionality. The update is now included in the main Domoticz beta code and should get included in the next compiled beta release. Note: this updated functionality also supports adding multiple USB devices; HGI80s or equivalent, if a user has multiple Evohome systems that they want to control via Domoticz.

Dan

Automated Home Legend

Thanks DanD for this. This update seems to help people like me who don't run multiple controllers but were being affected by neighbouring Honeywell systems, not necessarily Evohome only.

Hi Dan - does this allow users with two (or more) evoHome controllers on one system to treat the system as one or am I understanding it right and I would have to use two HGI-80's ? If so could the ID field be expanded to support multiple ID's perhaps thus avoiding multiple HGI-80's, or does it not work like that ?

I suppose I'm awkward in that I have two controllers on my system and a neighbour with a separate system (which I pickup) so I either need to explicitly exclude theirs or specifically include two of mine.
    Last edited by Kevin; 5th May 2017 at 02:44 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

Hi Kevin,

This update is primarily intended to fix the problem where multiple neighbouring Evohome or other Honeywell wireless heating systems are causing interference with the Domoticz setup. The addition of the controller ID allows Domoticz to filter out the messages from these other systems. You're correct that is this solution allows 1 USB device e.g. HGI80 to monitor and control one Evohome system. If additional USB devices are added, each can be linked to a separate hardware device in Domoticz and montitor and control another Evohome system. I've successfully tested 4 concurrent USB devices using this set-up. I don't think that the code supports monitoring and controlling of multiple Evohome installations with a single USB device, but I've not tested this set-up with this release. If you did want to test this set-up you'd need to add 2 separate Evohome HGI80 hardware entries in Domoticz each with the appropriate controller ID. I've just quickly tried this set-up in Domoticz for 20min and I can confirm that it doesn't crash and it seems to add and update devices, but I've not done any thorough testing of all the features.

Dan
    Last edited by DanD; 5th May 2017 at 05:35 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

Hi Kevin,

A few more tips if you want to try and test the 2 controller set-up. After adding the first hardware device and controller ID, wait until all devices are set-up and correctly named. Once this has completed, disable this hardware device and then add the second Evohome hardware device and controller ID. This should ensure that this second device is correctly set-up and devices are correctly named. Once the set-up of the second system has completed, you can re-enable the first hardware device. I'm sure that some of the features will still not work 100%, but let me know if you get a chance to test it out.

Dan

Automated Home Ninja

Another quick Evohome update. The following two small updates have just been included in the main Domoticz beta:

• Added a new 'Boiler (OT Bridge)' device (Unit=252) which logs the heat demand messages sent from the Opentherm Bridge, if installed.
    • Updated the device auto-naming functionality to improve its reliability. The auto-naming now requests a complete set of zone names on 3 occasions (immediately at startup, 5min and 1h following startup) as the previous solution would often fail and leave some devices with their default names.

Dan

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Updated the device auto-naming functionality to improve its reliability. The auto-naming now requests a complete set of zone names on 3 occasions (immediately at startup, 5min and 1h following startup) as the previous solution would often fail and leave some devices with their default names.
    Thank you!

P.

I tried a brand new install (on a fresh Ubuntu VM) with the latest beta, and it didn't discover any zones - left it running for a good hour.

Switched back to Stable and everything works fine.

Automated Home Ninja

Hi Paul,

Thanks for giving it a try. Did you get any error message in the Domoticz log? The new code will flag an error if it detects multiple systems and a controller ID hasn't been entered. This is the most likely reason for not getting any devices appearing. Did you grab the latest beta code & compile or did you use the latest pre-compiled version?

Dan

Nothing in the log. I used the pre-built linux version, and didn't enter a controller ID.

P.