Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Evohome / Opentherm / Intergas

Automated Home Legend

This is what put me off choosing the Intergas RF Eco:

https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/forum/v...c.php?f=5&t=53

Backed up with an exchange with Intergas Technical Support confirming that there was an issue with the RF Eco, and that this had been referred back to the Intergas Netherlands for resolution. Are you saying that Intergas Technical do not understand their own boilers, and what does Dan now think? He has re-stated his view on other forums: albeit, some months ago now.
    Last edited by HenGus; 26th July 2017 at 09:36 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Seems strange to be blaming installer error.

You pair you bluetooth devices, wireless works as intended betwwen your route and you network card.

Opentherm is two wires.

How can the installer connect 2 wires wrong, and what is there in the evohome configuration which can be set incorrectly?

Really? Training to join two wires together?

There has to information which should be in the public domain which it seems is not.

I can see that Intergas sales have been lost - we were on the brink of ordering before deciding that Opentherm is just not market ready with Evohome.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I hope this doesn't start to get a bit "I know a secret..."

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I hope this doesn't start to get a bit "I know a secret..."

P.
    I agree with Crooner. My installer just screwed the bridge to the wall in my garage and ran a 2-core wire to the boiler. He fitted a small adapter to the two nominated OT terminals and attached the 2 wires. He then asked me to re-configure the Evohome controller to a boiler relay. The only thing that is secret, AFAIK, is that there appears to be no OT logo on the bridge. I wouldn't expect it to be on the controller as it is not OT-compatible without the bridge.

Automated Home Legend

I cannot understand why the "situation" itself cannot be described in a way we can understand.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    So when you've fitted the reserved 3 port, what happens when someone else, who isn't the original installer comes along when the valve has failed and says this hasn't been fitted correctly (Not aware of the situation). He then puts it on the right way round and leaves it - your are opening a can of worms.
    I work in IT and I agree 100% with this position. It's easy to come up with new and clever solutions, but when they go against established standards, it's easy to get into a situation down the road where your (good) intentions are long forgotten, and your solution ends up getting "fixed", leading to problems. Much better to engineer the solution correctly up front, without being too clever. In this specific case, I would wait for a 3-way valve that was labelled correctly, so there is no confusion for future engineers to "fix".

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    I agree with Crooner. My installer just screwed the bridge to the wall in my garage and ran a 2-core wire to the boiler. He fitted a small adapter to the two nominated OT terminals and attached the 2 wires. He then asked me to re-configure the Evohome controller to a boiler relay. The only thing that is secret, AFAIK, is that there appears to be no OT logo on the bridge. I wouldn't expect it to be on the controller as it is not OT-compatible without the bridge.
    I don't think the issue was that you couldn't connect it up. The reported issue is that the boiler can't cope with the possible data rate from the Evohome system (I presume there must be a built-in delay after every temp change, but that's just guesswork).

Automated Home Sr Member

My understanding is that OT bypassed the internal temp limit in some boilers so the heat output constantly overshot and the boiler ran flat out regardless of demand.

So I'm guessing Evohomeshop has found a way to stop this happening on the Intergas?

Automated Home Legend

That was the confirmed case with Visemenn and Ideal. But no one has mentioned this in the Intergas context, unless "dropping ones knickers" is considered to be the same issue.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I don't think the issue was that you couldn't connect it up. The reported issue is that the boiler can't cope with the possible data rate from the Evohome system (I presume there must be a built-in delay after every temp change, but that's just guesswork).
    Hi Paul.

That was just the theory of Dan Robinson who is a heating engineer, but not an expert at the 'nuts & bolts' level of how OpenTherm works, as far as I'm aware. I find it hard to see a situation where a heating system could require such processing power or data transfer speeds that it in effect 'crashes out' to some default setting because of an inability to keep pace.

As others have mentioned, OpenTherm has no concept of multiple zones, so it must follow that it's down to Evohome to calculate what it needs the boiler to do as a single zone in order to accomplish its goal.

Intergas boilers are designed & made in Holland where OpenTherm is a requirement by law. Having looked closely at their product it's quite plain to me the care taken in its manufacture. It would surely be a huge mistake by Intergas to have a shoddy implementation of OpenTherm as its boiler 'operating system'.
    Last edited by blowlamp; 26th July 2017 at 12:33 PM.