Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evo WiFi Controller - Active TCP Sessions

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman View Post
    application 01.00.02.01
    wifi 01.00.02.00

I expected same and it is... Time for Sherlock Holmes hat...

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Quite. I was surprised.
    I've been watching mine for a while. I generally have in the order of 20-30 closed sockets in TIME_WAIT state, and none in ESTABLISHED. It's clear that the controller doesn't maintain an open session to the server, and instead connects and polls periodically.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I've been watching mine for a while. I generally have in the order of 20-30 closed sockets in TIME_WAIT state, and none in ESTABLISHED. It's clear that the controller doesn't maintain an open session to the server, and instead connects and polls periodically.
    Further analysis suggests that it's making an outbound connection to the Honeywell servers every 5 seconds! Not the most efficient way of building it, but it's tried and tested and the least likely thing to get broken by a stupid router/ISP.

Automated Home Ninja

Ah! Actually, there is planned maintenance this morning, so this could just be connections getting refused and it retrying. I'll re-analyse once the system is back up and running.

Automated Home Ninja

No, still the same... connection outbound every 5 seconds.

Automated Home Sr Member

Just a follow up on this.

I have multiple WiFi networks around the house for different purposes. Including a couple of extenders to get to remote parts of the house.

The Evohome has been connected to one of the original ones in the middle of the house since the install about 18 months ago. and this had iffy signal qualities. Hence all the new Wifi and extenders.

While looking for the reason behind this I noticed this old connection in the controller's WiFi setup and, therefore, connected it to the nearest WiFi hub which had a 100% strength signal. Just for completeness I also rebooted the main Draytek Internet Router/AP to clear all it's internal tables.

Lo and behold the "problem" is gone. After days of running I no longer see multiple (let alone hundreds) of socket connections linked to the Evohome Controller IP.

This leads me to believe that there is a bug in the controller's software related to timeouts of the TCP connection which it thinks are dropped but in fact are being managed by TCP flow/reconnect management. The TCP socket remains "active" but the software thinks it's an error and creates another connection to the Server without fully terminating/destroying the original socket (been there with that problem in my own software life). Theory maybe, but fits the facts.

So "problem" closed, but something for the Evohome Controller software guys to read.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Did you ever answer the question a couple of us posed about whether these numerous connections were in a TIME_WAIT state?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Just a follow up on this.

I have multiple WiFi networks around the house for different purposes. Including a couple of extenders to get to remote parts of the house.
    I know it is not cheap, but Netgear's Orbi system is worth looking at. It removed my need for extenders around the house, gives wider coverage outside the house and since I put it in no issues with dropped signals. What I have spent on extenders over the years is probably greater than the cost of Orbi. Possibly my original router was of poor quality (BT Home Hub 6) but then I had the same issues with its earlier version and another third party router I tried. My Evohome Control Panel would report loss of connection from time to time, despite being about a metre from the router. It has stopped doing that.

Automated Home Sr Member

@paul - no. I didn't look at Wireshark before I found this WiFi issue. For now the sessions shown on the Router from the Evohome Controller are always below 5 whenever I've looked at it. Before it was a peak of 350. If I get bored I'll reconnect to the old AP and see what happens

@G4RHL Yes, I've seen the Orbi stuff but a) I've already got all the APs and Extenders in place, B) bet it uses the same kind Mesh that Sky Q uses and that's a complete mess (or at least Sky's implementation of it) - my only resolution to that was to hard wire everything - works a treat (bar the outstanding bugs in Q).

Automated Home Guru

Maybe someone will correct me but I don't think any of the recent crop of Orbi - like domestic devices operate as a mesh. I think they're all star type configurations.

If you want a proper mesh type network you need to move up to some of the commercial offerings like Ruckus.