Thread: Automation for Disability

Automated Home Lurker

Default Automation for Disability

Over the last year my Wife's mobility has deteriorated and also her cognitive capacity. I am looking to automate various aspects of the home to make it easier for her to navigate the house. This is a new area to me so I would value any help people can give.

My first task is the stairs and the stair lift.

1. Despite the chair being in full view at the bottom of the stairs there are times my wife uses the stairs. Then she gets frightened when she wants to come back down and forgets how to use the call buttons. I would like to put some sort of proximity detector that triggered a visual/audible signal when anyone is on the bottom step.
    2. When using the stairlift at night she often forgets to turn on the stair light so ends up in the dark the top. The stairs and upstairs landing are all on one light circuit with 2 x 2 way switches and 2 x intermediate switches in the circuit. Unfortunately none of the switches are that near to the bottom of the stairs. I would like to be able to trigger the light to come on when anyone is using the stairs but keep the existing switches as well. Is there a way of doing this without copious wiring such as using wireless detectors and override switches?

Thanks

Automated Home Lurker

Hi I am not sure if you have a smoke detector in that area but the new nest smoke detectors have a PIR with a light. These do need to be wired to the mains but might get out of that problem.

I am not sure what you mean with regard to the stairlift.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

HA can help with quite a few things - as an example :

http://www.idratek.com/example-install/case-study-7-2/

which also includes a short presentation ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 28th February 2017 at 05:55 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

I would use a light detector like this she does'nt have to worry about switching on or off the lights.
    So much easier for her!

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks all. Sorry for the long delay in getting back to this, my days are full of stuff I'm having to learn to do on top of everything else!. The Idratek looks a bit like what I'm after but I'm not sure what I'm searching for there. In an ideal world I'm looking:-

for 1. for something that either detects a footfall or a body on the floor at the bottom of the stairs and that triggers a bright flashing light.

for 2. a wireless actuator that allows me to switch the switched pair at the ceiling rose on the stair light with proximity detectors that can trigger the actuator positioned at the bottom and top of the stairs