• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendan
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2005

adding extra telephone points were to start

first post so please be gentle

i am in need of some advise as to how to best to continue this project.

our house is newly built 3 years ago with 2 telephone points originally.

the main socket i think is is kitchen, it has the open out part at bottom, the other builder installed socket is in main bedroom.

since then the sky guy took a feed off kitchen socket to living room for sky connection and the telephone people took feed off bedroom to office for ADSL connection

i have just managed to put 2 feeds of CAT 5 into each room downstairs and upstairs room with all the CAT 5 cable running into the attic, with plenty of slack

now i need to devise a plan to hook up all the rooms to telephone line, later i will look at adding computer networking on to this but for now would be happy with getting telephones up and running

will i be able to keep existing telephone locations which presumably didnt use CAT 5 cabling hopefully these can be added into network

currently i have some floorboards lifted upstairs and i think i have located the telephone cable feeding original upstairs point, will this make life easier?

any advise/suggestions most appreciated

how is this done? what equipment do i need to get
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: adding extra telephone points were to start

Hi Brendan
    Originally posted by brendan
    first post so please be gentle
    No, sorry. This is the area for SERIOUS advice. Things get a bit rough at times

i am in need of some advise as to how to best to continue this project.

our house is newly built 3 years ago with 2 telephone points originally.
    Nice to know that builders have progressed beyond the "single point in the hall" approach, I wonder how much longer before the realise that people need phone sockets in almost all rooms!

the main socket i think is is kitchen, it has the open out part at bottom, the other builder installed socket is in main bedroom.
    That is the main NTE5 and has to remain where it is but you can change anything else

since then the sky guy took a feed off kitchen socket to living room for sky connection and the telephone people took feed off bedroom to office for ADSL connection
    Presumable this means that you already have two cables attached to the removeable faceplate, one feeding SKY and one feeding the bedroom, or is the SKY one just an adapter plugged into the socket?

You can terminate a MAXIMUM of TWO cables to an IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) termination otherwise it gets unreliable as the wire does not make proper contact.

i have just managed to put 2 feeds of CAT 5 into each room downstairs and upstairs room with all the CAT 5 cable running into the attic, with plenty of slack
    Good start. Is this where you are planning on having "Node 0"?

now i need to devise a plan to hook up all the rooms to telephone line, later i will look at adding computer networking on to this but for now would be happy with getting telephones up and running
    Are you fitting RJ45 sockets in the rooms and using phone adaptors to connect the phones, or have you fitted phone sockets?

The first approach is the most flexible as any socket can be used for Phone or Data just by repatching.

If you are using RJ45, terminate each of the cables on an individual socket on the patch panel.

Choose a bank of RJ45 sockets on the patch panel as the "Source of the phone line" Connect all like numbered terminals on each of these sockets together and also connect a CAT5 cable to this running from one of your existing phone sockets (preferably the NTE5). You will need to reroute one of the existing extension cables to do this.

If you are not fitting a patch panel yet and are using normal phone sockets then you just ned to join all the cables together using a connection box like this

you will also need the inserts

You then take a similar approach to the patch panel in that you terminate all the cables individually on the top half of the strips and then "jumper" the required connections along the bottom, again observing the "two wires max per IDC" rule.

will i be able to keep existing telephone locations which presumably didnt use CAT 5 cabling hopefully these can be added into network
    Yes but it is more flexible and neater if you can reroute the cables to your common point.

currently i have some floorboards lifted upstairs and i think i have located the telephone cable feeding original upstairs point, will this make life easier?
    Yes, you could reroute that to feed the loft and run a new cable back to the bedroom.

Standard telephone wiring instructions here

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• brendan
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2005

thanks katman for your reply most helpful

still somewhat confused though :?

i forgot to mention that im in ireland so we dont use the BT type phone connections just the standard rj45 i think there called or is it rj11

ok so kitchen is the main point, it would be very tricky getting into this socket and pulling a CAT 5 cable from there to the attic where all the rest of the CAT5 has been routed to. it is doable but my wife would not be impressed

a much better option is to tap into the feed to second telephone point upstairs where currently the floorboards are up

Presumable this means that you already have two cables attached to the removeable faceplate, one feeding SKY and one feeding the bedroom, or is the SKY one just an adapter plugged into the socket?

You can terminate a MAXIMUM of TWO cables to an IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) termination otherwise it gets unreliable as the wire does not make proper contact.
      the sky connection was made in the box not an adapter but i can change to adapter if needs be as currently nothing is plugged into this socket, does this equal two connections or do i have another spare connection left, or does the existing feed to that line count as the second feed?

the upstairs socket in bedroom was used to provide feed for third telephone point in office adjoining room, this is also where the telephone company made broadband connection so in office i have socket with 2 outlets one broadband one telephone.

i have located the cable feeding this socket under the floorboards i may have mentioned already making connection here to feed CAT 5 patch panel as main telephone feed would be ideal but this might cause problems with the broadband connection

If you are not fitting a patch panel yet and are using normal phone sockets then you just ned to join all the cables together using a connection box like this
      i think it would be preferable to fit patch panel now as this would tidy up everything in the attic and give me a good reference point for future applications, can you recommend a good model to get?

Good start. Is this where you are planning on having "Node 0"?
      What exactly is "NODE 0" ops:

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

What exactly is "NODE 0" ops:
        Look here...

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• katman
          • Jan 2004

Hi Brendan,

I should have guessed from the name that there was a strong possibility you were on the other side of the water

What is node 0?

Mark has alreay shown you some pretty pictures, it is basically "Heaven for Geeks".

1. A central point where all cables run back to
          2. A convienient location for a large rack (or 3) full of equipment
          3. Something that will ensure your wallet never bulges due to an excess of money :wink:

The idea of node zero is that all cables from any room, run back to one point where interconnection between rooms takes place. This gives ultimate flexibility compared to a cable run from point to point.

IF it is not dificuly to do, you should seriously consider feeding each of your phone sockets DIRECTLY from Node 0 just in case you ever want to install a PBX in the future.

When running CAT5 cable always run a pair of cables (minimum) as standard faceplates take two outlets and there is minimum extra effort involved pulling two cables at the same time.

If you can already think of a use for all the CAT5 cables you have put in, put some more in :!:

If your phone sockets have 8 contacts then they are RJ45. If the socket is smaller then it is RJ11/RJ12 depending on whether there are 4 or 6 contacts.

Hope that help

Regards

Keith
          KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
          http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
          X