• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnDoe
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2017

Just firing up the install..

So after a brand new heating and hot water install, Evohome has been wired in from the start with two zone valves - one for heating and one for hot water.

Have not connected any HR92s as yet as just want to test the pipework. Successfully bound the boiler and hot water relay but when trying to use the control panel and switch off heating, nothing happens. Trying to switch off hot water and nothing happens either. Anyone know why this could be?
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Have you actually added any heating zones ? If you haven't added any HR92's yet there won't be anything to call for heat so you won't get the heating relay to turn on.

Sounds like you have misunderstood the binding process if you have configured one as a boiler relay - if you have an S-Plan system with only two BDR91's you don't configure a boiler relay. (Leave it set to none)

You configure one as a heating relay and one as a hot water relay. This is done in the stored hot water configuration. If you have your HR92's but aren't ready to put any on radiators I would add a zone and then bind one of the HR92's so that you have something to call for heat for testing - as long as the locking latch is closed it should be able to call for heat when you turn it up and thus fire the heating relay. (EG turn it up to 30 and wait a few seconds and the heating relay should come on, turn it down to 5 and wait a few seconds and the relay should go off)

When you fix the boiler binding issue remember to clear the bindings on the BDR91 before re-assigning it to a different task - hold the button down for 15 seconds until you get a rapid flash to do this.

On the wiring side of things have you wired each BDR91 to power the two zone valves respectively and confirmed that when you press the manual override button on each relay that the respective zone valve opens and the boiler fires ? In a two relay system the orange wires from both zone valves have to be wired to fire the boiler - as they typically are on conventional S-Plan systems.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 27 February 2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Rameses
      Industry Expert
      • Nov 2014

Also - If you want to test the pipework - use the manual override buttons on the BDR
      getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
        Also - If you want to test the pipework - use the manual override buttons on the BDR
        Rameses - if that works as you suggest, can you answer a question that has split the forum (well at least two people have an opposing view).

If the OP sets up a single heating zone covering all the radiators around the house using the built in Evotouch sensor will this trigger the BDR and turn on the heating? If not, why not?

Comment

• Rameses
          Industry Expert
          • Nov 2014

Yup sure would. Not sure why this is a thing sorry. evohome will operate as a single zone - hence the reason it is sold that way. (Assuming all rads are left open OR have manual TRVs)
          We have a number of 1 zone installs on the system - where people have bought to just used as a 7 day controller, but will use zoning later (I presume)
          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
            Yup sure would. Not sure why this is a thing sorry. evohome will operate as a single zone - hence the reason it is sold that way. (Assuming all rads are left open OR have manual TRVs)
            We have a number of 1 zone installs on the system - where people have bought to just used as a 7 day controller, but will use zoning later (I presume)
            Thanks for the clarification. My default position has always been that in the event my OH is left on her own (hopefully not in the near future), my SiL could simplify the operation by replacing the HR92 heads with the old TRV heads should replacing HR92 batteries prove to be too difficult for her.
            Last edited by HenGus; 28 February 2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• JohnDoe
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2017

I have switched it on and off via the BDR91s and that seems to work.

Can I clarify that I do not need to have any HR92s installed at this initial early stage if I simply want to test from the Controller that I can switch the heating and hot water on and off.

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Originally posted by JohnDoe View Post
                I have switched it on and off via the BDR91s and that seems to work.

Can I clarify that I do not need to have any HR92s installed at this initial early stage if I simply want to test from the Controller that I can switch the heating and hot water on and off.
                Just set it up the house as a single zone using the Evotouch as the temperature sensor. You can then set timings etc and temperatures. Use the Add a Zone feature in Evotouch.

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                  Thanks for the clarification. My default position has always been that in the event my OH is left on her own (hopefully not in the near future), my SiL could simplify the operation by replacing the HR92 heads with the old TRV heads should replacing HR92 batteries prove to be too difficult for her.
                  You cover a point that has always concerned me. We techno or gadget freaks are fine but our partners may not be if we go first. My wife has learned to operate the heating via her app but changing batteries is another issue, or knowing when to change them. Try to show her and like many others, the brain shuts off as if it is all too complicated. I have left notes for my son to cover this and other controls in the house but he lives nearly 100 miles away from us. What would help would be a panel of people to call on. Better still a simple app which a person operates to find somebody who can help with an issue and behind it a panel of people world wide who can be called on to assist. A bit like the Be My Eyes app for the blind and partially sighted which is an excellent project.

My local hospice are working on a project to help people have Everything in Place (the name of the project) which is proving very successful but when I attend groups to handle discussions etc. it is surprising how often some say they would be lost if their partner goes first. We are looking at how we might achieve some sort of advice system but surely there is somebody out there who could design an app that helps with just the scenario you talk about. I find at our hospice seminars that there are a considerable number of couples where one is the techno person and the other barely knows how to switch the computer on, never mind operate it. If this is not tackled we have some serious issues in years to come and big bills for those not using their system properly.

Perhaps this is a charitable project Honeywell could take on and get a lot of quodos for?

Comment

• JohnDoe
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2017

On another forum I've seen someone else had similar issues to me (probably a novice too) but didn't appear to have posted back that he resolved them.

System details:

- Home Install
                    - No HR92’s (yet)
                    - S-Plan with two Honeywell control valves for CH and HW
                    - Unvented pressurised hot water tank
                    - Vaillant 637 system boiler

Process:

1. 'FACTORY RESET' evohome Controller and then 'HARD RESET' by removing batteries for several minutes.
                    2. Fully clear the 'binding' on both BDR91's (press and hold the button on the BDR91 for 20 seconds). Both HW and CH BDR’s are doing a short red flash.
                    3. Power evoTouch display back on, now shows “guided configuration” and “Installation Menu” as options. I chose Guided Configuration.
                    4. Asks “Do you require to control the heat demand (boiler)?”. I select red cross.
                    5. Asks “Do you require to control a Stored Hot Water cylinder?”. I select green tick.
                    6. I bind Hot Water Sensor
                    7. Asks “What kind of valve(s) do you use to control flow to Hot Water cylinder and heating?”. I select “2 two port or three port valves”.
                    8. I bind Hot Water Valve to BDR controlling HW
                    9. I bind Heating valve to BDR controlling CH
                    *Here is where I get stuck*
                    10. Asks “Select the heating type for the zones you are creating” and gives:
                    Underfloor Heating
                    Mixing Valve
                    Radiator Valve
                    Zone Valve
                    11. I have no radiator HR92 valve, so what do I choose? Each one I’ve tried always asks to bind an actuator after choosing the following:
                    Select number of zones to create: “1”
                    Press to edit zone name: leave default as Living room
                    Use evotouch as the temperature sensor for living room: Yes
                    12. Now says “Press BIND button on actuator(s), then press BIND button below.
                    13. It seems my only option is to bind the CH BDR again because if I don’t, the main screen says no bind.
                    14. Once bound it says (1 actuators bound 2 way).

Is the above right for my setup?

System summary shows:

Stored Hot Water - 2 two port or three port valves
                    Living room - Single zone, evotouch sensor

System Devices shows:

Boiler Control - None
                    Stored Hot Water - Enabled

Is it ok to have Boiler Control as None?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Underfloor Heating
                      Mixing Valve
                      Radiator Valve
                      Zone Valve
                      11. I have no radiator HR92 valve, so what do I choose? Each one I’ve tried always asks to bind an actuator after choosing the following:
                      13. It seems my only option is to bind the CH BDR again because if I don’t, the main screen says no bind.

If you have had to bind the heating relay twice, once in stored hot water and again in the zone then no, this is not correct. You now have a "double binding" to the heating BDR91 which will cause problems.

I've had a look through the Evohome install manual but it does not seem to specifically address a configuration where you have an S-Plan system but without any HR92's. I have never tried a configuration like this before and, while I'm sure I could figure it out with it in front of me I could not test it without erasing my entire configuration, which I don't want to do.

One thing I would suggest trying until someone from Honeywell (or someone who has this configuration) gets back to you is to forgo the guided configuration and just set it up manually - I always use the manual configuration and find it better than using the guided config. So repeat what you did up until step 2, but then choose installation menu instead of guided configuration.

In System settings you will find the stored hot water section where you can configure both relay bindings. After doing that check and see whether you have the temperature measured by the evotouch back on the home screen or whether it has an error that says the zone is not configured. If it does go into zone configuration, name your zone and choose temperature sensor, evotouch controller, but do not try to bind an actuator - you do not have any actuators as you don't have any HR92's.

Sorry I can't be more specific - I really think Honeywell's documentation is a bit lacking here.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Dec 2016

I use zone valves with no HR92s. I have three heating zones (one for each of three floors) and a DHW valve (effectively "S-plan"). I agree with DBMandrake that it is better to use the manual configuration than the guided configuration. My setup shows:

"System Summary"
                        Stored hot water - Hot water only valve
                        Second floor - Zone valve
                        First floor - Zone valve
                        Ground floor - Zone valve

"System devices"
                        Boiler control - None
                        Stored hot water - Enabled

And my system seems to work fine with that configuration.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Dec 2016

System summary shows:

I suspect this may be your problem. You seem to have bound both valves to the hot water and neither valve to the heating. "Living room" should show "Zone Valve", I think, and "Stored hot water" should show "Hot water only valve".

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

On another forum I've seen someone else had similar issues to me (probably a novice too) but didn't appear to have posted back that he resolved them.

System details:

- Home Install
                            - No HR92’s (yet)
                            - S-Plan with two Honeywell control valves for CH and HW
                            - Unvented pressurised hot water tank
                            - Vaillant 637 system boiler

Process:

1. 'FACTORY RESET' evohome Controller and then 'HARD RESET' by removing batteries for several minutes.
                            2. Fully clear the 'binding' on both BDR91's (press and hold the button on the BDR91 for 20 seconds). Both HW and CH BDR’s are doing a short red flash.
                            3. Power evoTouch display back on, now shows “guided configuration” and “Installation Menu” as options. I chose Guided Configuration.
                            4. Asks “Do you require to control the heat demand (boiler)?”. I select red cross.
                            5. Asks “Do you require to control a Stored Hot Water cylinder?”. I select green tick.
                            6. I bind Hot Water Sensor
                            7. Asks “What kind of valve(s) do you use to control flow to Hot Water cylinder and heating?”. I select “2 two port or three port valves”.
                            8. I bind Hot Water Valve to BDR controlling HW
                            9. I bind Heating valve to BDR controlling CH
                            Underfloor Heating
                            Mixing Valve
                            Radiator Valve
                            Zone Valve

System summary shows:

System Devices shows:

Boiler Control - None
                            Stored Hot Water - Enabled

Is it ok to have Boiler Control as None?
                            In light of a post I just made in another thread I've rethought you configuration and I think I see where you have gone wrong and where I have got myself a bit confused with my advice as well.

Start again, and when you configure the stored hot water you will be given a choice between hot water and heating zone valves, or just having a hot water zone valve only. You should choose this latter option, and proceed to bind the hot water sensor and hot water zone valve relay. Do Not bind the heating zone valve within the stored hot water section.

Then when you set up your single zone choose the Evotouch as the temperature sensor and a "zone valve" as the actuator - at this point bind your heating zone valve relay. There should be only the one binding to the heating relay.

That should be it. When you later on start adding HR92's you will have to remove this heating zone valve binding from the zone and bind it in the stored hot water configuration, binding an HR92 as the actuator instead.
                            Last edited by DBMandrake; 2 March 2017, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X