• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akbooer
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2005

TMD4 - multi-way switching ?

I want to add some additional light switches to control an existing LW12 dimming module, which has its own local momentary switch (and does not transmit X10). I was thinking of using TMD4 micro-module transmitters to do this.

Is there a problem, though ? I worry that the TMD4 will maintain its own opinion of the on/off state of the LW12 module and not know about what the local switch is doing. So if the LW12 is off, but the TMD4 thinks it's on, then activating the TMD4 switch sends an OFF and nothing happens. A second press would be needed to turn the module on.

I assume that this is why there is an LWM1 module which transmits its local actions, but it also needs a Neutral connection which I don't have available.

Am I being dim (slight pun intended) ... ?

Thanks!

Tony.
  • shevans
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2005

Re: TMD4 - multi-way switching ?

Someone might have a better idea... but what I do..

For 2-way (or more) switching I use the stick on SS13 switch, which transmits via RF to a TM13 (or similar) . If you set the switch to be the same House and unit code as the LW12, then you can control direct without any software on a PC.

Comment

• akbooer
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2005

Thanks for that suggestion. Yes, the SS13 gets around the problem because each switch has an ON and an OFF label - pressing ON sends ON, pressing OFF sends OFF...

...but the reason I'm using micro modules is to be able to select a quality switch. I was so disappointed with the rather sloppy action of the SS13, although I have had to use that somewhere else where I simply can't run wires.

Thanks again,

Tony.

Comment

• Johnnyknight
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2006

... and I want as similar 2 way switch to replace the one that's already at the bottom of my stairs. using the stickaswitch means getting socket rockets in all the lamps which isn't practical. Is there any unit that has L1, L2 and common connections? (no neutral)

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

IF you want to replace a 2 way switch with an X10 device, you could do what I did. First I repplaced both switches with momentary ones. Then I used an LW12 at master switch location. One switch acts like a master and one acts like a slave. The master goes straight to the light and the other switch while the slave goes to the other switch. The using the exsisting cable wired up the second momentary switch to the module. It took quite a while to work out exactly how to wire it up. I drew several digrams of the original circuit and then figured out from that how was the best way to tackle the wiring of the module without running extra wires. It took the best part of a day to get the planning right. Then the actual wiring took about 30mins in total.
          I used this site to work out the wiring http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm
          Another option is to use an LW11 Wall Dimmer this allows the connection of another momentary switch to it, but this module also requires a neutral connection, which is why I went with the LW12.
          If I can find my original circuit, I will scan it and attach it to this post.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• akbooer
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Oct 2005

Thanks for this reply and sorry for a VERY slow response !

Yes, this looks like the "right" way to wire a two-way switch.

However, ...

I have no less than FOUR lights that I want to control this way from a single (four switch) panel - it's a big room with lots of lights.

So the only thing that I could think of was to use the 4-way transmitter, powered by a single wire which was the original two-way circuit for one of the lights.

It works pretty well, but sometimes it gets out of sync and you have to press the switch twice. I think I'm exploring the limits of X-10 and existing wiring. Next house will have C-bus.

Thanks a lot.

AKB

Originally posted by toscal
            IF you want to replace a 2 way switch with an X10 device, you could do what I did. First I repplaced both switches with momentary ones. Then I used an LW12 at master switch location. One switch acts like a master and one acts like a slave. The master goes straight to the light and the other switch while the slave goes to the other switch. The using the exsisting cable wired up the second momentary switch to the module. It took quite a while to work out exactly how to wire it up. I drew several digrams of the original circuit and then figured out from that how was the best way to tackle the wiring of the module without running extra wires. It took the best part of a day to get the planning right. Then the actual wiring took about 30mins in total.
            I used this site to work out the wiring http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm
            Another option is to use an LW11 Wall Dimmer this allows the connection of another momentary switch to it, but this module also requires a neutral connection, which is why I went with the LW12.
            If I can find my original circuit, I will scan it and attach it to this post.

Comment

Working...
            X