Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting away mode automatically on Evohome

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Setting away mode automatically on Evohome

Hi all, is there a way to get the Evohome system to automatically be set to away mode based on certain conditions? We have daily schedules setup but I need this for the scenarios where we are out straight after work and don't get home until later in the night. In these scenarios, the heating is turning on as per the schedule and what I want is for the system to be set to away mode.

Would appreciate any advice.

TIA

Automated Home Guru

If you use The IFTTT Service they have Evohome services

https://ifttt.com/honeywell_evohome

Automated Home Jr Member

Yea I had a quick look at the IFTTT services but I couldn't see anything that would work for my requirement. There is an "Enable Quick Action" service which maybe I need to dig a bit deeper into.

Automated Home Sr Member

Hope I'm not stating the obvious but you can always use the App to trigger Away mode whilst at work. Admittedly it's not automatic which is what you ask for.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I use a special sensor and Smarthings to set my system to Economy mode when my burglar alarm is set.

The important bit is that it needs to save the current state, and then restore it when the conditions clear.

Also, don't do it if the current state is 'off'.

+1 for IFTTT.

You could either use a calendar trigger as the IF.

Or use your phone as geofencing so when you leave the area IFTTT will enable a Quick Action in Evohome. The one I use is Evohome Geofencing Applet.
    Then you create another recipe for when you return and it will disable the quick action.

Just had another look at the Evohome Geofencing Applet and you can also adjust the duration to hours, days or permanent. So you could just have one trigger.

Actually, reading you post again, the calendar trigger would probably work better. The recipe works on a Key word or phrase in your calendar (I use Google calendar) and you can have it to work on one zone (so you can make multiple recipes) or whole house.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks all for replies so far. The alarm based trigger is a good idea but the tricky part of my requirement is that on days when we're both working our schedule is set to turn the heating on before we arrive home so doing it based on alarm wouldn't really work. I did recently purchase the Smartthings starter kit as I have plans to put in place whole house lighting automation and I suspect I may also be able to use it in some way to help automatically set the heating to away mode and then disable appropriately too, just not sure how at the moment.

I'm not entirely convinced there is logic I can apply to my scenario, it is by nature an exception case where we deviate from the normal departure and arrival times but I have the Nest in mind where if it's set to turn on based on schedule but doesn't sense any movement for a specified period of time, it sets itself to Away. Not sure what it does to then cancel that away state but there must be something I can do to replicate that kind of scenario using maybe a Smartthings movement sensor integrated with my Evohome...

Quote Originally Posted by freddyq View Post
    Hi all, is there a way to get the Evohome system to automatically be set to away mode based on certain conditions? We have daily schedules setup but I need this for the scenarios where we are out straight after work and don't get home until later in the night. In these scenarios, the heating is turning on as per the schedule and what I want is for the system to be set to away mode.

Would appreciate any advice.

TIA
    Life 360 is good for multiple account/member geofencing needs
    Or just the simpler IFTTT geofence rule
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

What sort of response time are people getting from IFTTT? It says an applet can take up to an hour to complete

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    What sort of response time are people getting from IFTTT? It says an applet can take up to an hour to complete
    I have used a couple of applets like set Zone to a temp and do a quick action and they always act almost immediately