Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting away mode automatically on Evohome

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

IFTTT seems to take either a maximum of a couple of seconds, or not at all.

Automated Home Jr Member

I used to use IFTTT and Life 360. Generally it worked fine but maybe 2% of the time it failed to change. As Paul says above, if it did change it was as good as instantaneous for controlling heating. Since moving to SmartThings, I've found that much more reliable.

Automated Home Jr Member

So I had a look through IFTTT and setup a couple of applets to work with my evohome system to try and achieve what I want. One of them triggers the 'Off' quick action if the outside temperature rises above 14C. The other one disables any quick action if the outside temperature drops below 11C. I need to experiment with the outside temp values but you get the gist.

The problem I realised with this approach is that when we know we will be out for the day or evening we set the system to 'Away' mode to stop the heating turning on as per the normal schedule. With the applet which disables any quick action, that 'Away' quick action will be cancelled once the 11C temp is reached so the heating will turn on even though we may not be home for the whole day or several hours.

Anyone got ideas on how to get round this? My thoughts are that either I find a way in IFTTT for the disable applet to apply only if the set quick action is 'Off'. But not sure IFTTT is configurable enough to achieve this. The other thing is that I set the low temperature to something so low that we'd want the heating on anyway, even if we were out.

The 'Groovy' I use in Smartthings for stuff like this saves the current state before making the change. Then puts it back when the condition returns to normal.

Seems to work OK, although of course it gets confused if someone manually sets a new mode in the meantime!

Automated Home Jr Member

Hmm, I've got the Evohome SmartApp installed on my Smartthings and all my evohome stats are visible in ST. So is it worth me looking into recreating the logic in Smartthings? Are you able to point me in the direction of some posts or tutorials to help do that?

I used this as the basis for my code, but I've hacked it to bits!!!

My code is very unique to my situation (it also ties in to my burglar alarm, for example, plus lots of other 'me' specific tweaks), so isn't suitable for sharing. But if you get stuck with the Green Thermostat code give me a nudge and I'll try to help.

Automated Home Jr Member

OK no problem. Green Thermostat is a ST SmartApp?

Yup - click the 'this' in my comment above.

Automated Home Jr Member

Ahh sorry! Missed the hyperlink there Thanks, I'll have a look...

Automated Home Lurker

I'm getting more and more fed up with Evohome. The system is really let down by the lack of investment on the application side. Today the Totalconnect service is up/down/under maintenance/fully operational/who knows. When it is working it's pretty basic. Neither the app or the controller have holiday mode, which I find weird. I believe the pervious version of the controller did have holiday mode as a a quick action though.

There's no option to add multiple custom quick actions.
    They still haven't fixed the issue of the app showing ghost zones.

In general it's pretty pants and Honeywell need to think seriously about whether they want to compete in the automation sector or not. Right now the only thing saving them is that they have the best multi-zone platform but I suspect that won't last much longer.

Does anyone know if they regularly scan this forum? Do they take feedback seriously?