• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumpers
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2017

LED garden light

Does anyone have any experience of adding a mains powered security floodlight to a home automation system? Basically while I'm at home and awake I don't particularly need or want it to come on, but between certain hours and when I'm away I want it to always come on if the PIR is triggered.

I don't have any automation infrastructure yet, so I'd be happy looking into a one off solution with a RPi or a commercial product - whatever's cheaper. (For reference, the light I have is a bit like this daylight LED model - different brand, but looks to be a clone).

Thanks in advance
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Simplest option, if you have no other HA infrastructure, would be to connect the floodlight and PIR through a time switch. If you're at home, the timeswitch manages when the light & PIR gets power, if you're away, plug the PIR into the socket without a timer so that its always powered and will light up whenever the PIR is triggered.

Not very high tech, but simple

HTH,
    Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• stumpers
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2017

Thanks for a dose of common sense . Come to think of it, that is a much easier solution for this particular case. (And it gives me more time to focus on connecting my boiler )

Comment

• makemyhomesmart
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jun 2017

Have a look at the Netatmo Presence Outdoor Security Camera as well. It can be set on timers, and has intelligent features to work out if its just a cat outside or someone hanging round. Plus it has a camera that can record what's going on and send alerts to your phone.
        Last edited by makemyhomesmart; 2 June 2017, 10:36 AM.
        www.makemyhomesmart.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X