Evohome WiFi firmware update - is it ever going to happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan C
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2017

I agree. My evohome controller has upgraded to:

App 01.00.07.01
    WiFi 01.00.06.10

Regards,

Alan.

Comment

• roydonaldson
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2013

Maybe that would explain why I came downstairs to my controller looking like it was freshly installed yesterday morning. Had to go through initial menu screens and then it wanted to resetup the WiFi connection. It couldn't find my WiFi SSID, or anything else, even though it's sat just below the access point. I even checked and the access point was on channel 11, so none of the channel 13 problems.

Still haven't managed to get it connected back to the WiFi again.

Roy.

Comment

• StephenC
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2017

Can you check both App and Wifi versions on your controller?

You should be able to check the firmware version by doing a quick tap on 'settings' on the evohome main screen followed by a long tap (around 20s) on 'device settings'.

There is an hour or so gap between Wifi (1st upgrade in sequence) then App (2nd upgrade in sequence) firmware upgrades.

Doesn't seem right to lose config however.
        Last edited by StephenC; 13 April 2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• AutoTrialer
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2016

Also noticed version number changes, now at
          App 01.00.07.01
          WiFi 01.00.06.10
          - No loss of configuration

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

I'm in the UK. Am I right assuming that this upgrade is not happening in U.K. although I see a Glasgow user reports a change.

I'm on

Application Software 01.00.02.01
            Wifi Software 01.00.02.00

Comment

• roydonaldson
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2013

Sorry, I should add, it did not loose all of my configuration.

It looked like it was at a startup stage, but seems to just have been a WiFi resetup page. It lost my WiFI config and then couldn't find any WiFi again.

Roy.

Comment

• dty
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                I'm in the UK. Am I right assuming that this upgrade is not happening in U.K. although I see a Glasgow user reports a change.
                I'm in Hampshire, and I've got it. I'd be surprised if it were regional!

It doesn't seem like you're missing much though. There's no obvious new functionality that anyone has found yet.

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                  Maybe that would explain why I came downstairs to my controller looking like it was freshly installed yesterday morning. Had to go through initial menu screens and then it wanted to resetup the WiFi connection. It couldn't find my WiFi SSID, or anything else, even though it's sat just below the access point. I even checked and the access point was on channel 11, so none of the channel 13 problems.

Still haven't managed to get it connected back to the WiFi again.

Roy.
                  That's worrying.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Jan 2013

I prod'd it for about 10 minutes and then had to go to meetings and then fly down to London, so I wouldn't take too much into my efforts to get it re-connected as of yet.

Roy.

Comment

• CT1
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Apr 2016

Updated here with no loss of config or wifi connection. Not obvious what has changed.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Jan 2013

Ok, all sorted.

I have an enterprise grade wireless network in my house. I have 2.4 to 5Ghz band steering enabled by default. So, looks like the EvoHome is not hanging around long enough on the 2.4ghz band to find my SSID. I changed to running on both 2.4 and 5ghz and tried to reconned my EvoHome and it found my 2.4ghz SSID first time and all connected up.

It did also connect if I manually entered the SSID name and password manually when having band select enabled.

Roy.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

I had this problem some time back as my router was left on automatic instead of having 2.4 and 5 as separate connections. Changing it to two separate wifi points cured the problem. However, that router has been ditched and I use a Netgear Orbi which is left in automatic mode and the Control Panel connected with this far quicker than with anything else before and has remain connected with no issues since I installed the Netgear in January. I also found other devices have much better connections and no drop outs in 3 months whereas with the old router (BT Home Hub 6) drop outs were a daily occurrence. It seems quality of router has a lot to do with these problems and it's not just the Control Panel.

Comment

• g6ejd
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Oct 2016

IN the last few days my controller has been updated, now at:
                            App 01.00.07.01
                            WiFi 01.00.06.10
                            No loss of configuration or operating perturbations obvious - I wonder what changed and why? May never know ...

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

I seem to have lost that loving feeling.... No updates for me. Then again, having a surname with a capital letter towards the end of the alphabet meant that I always got the blunt needle when injections were carried out at school (it was many decades ago).

Comment

• DBMandrake
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                                Ok, all sorted.

I have an enterprise grade wireless network in my house. I have 2.4 to 5Ghz band steering enabled by default. So, looks like the EvoHome is not hanging around long enough on the 2.4ghz band to find my SSID. I changed to running on both 2.4 and 5ghz and tried to reconned my EvoHome and it found my 2.4ghz SSID first time and all connected up.

It did also connect if I manually entered the SSID name and password manually when having band select enabled.

Roy.
                                Sounds exactly like the side effects of band steering on 2.4Ghz only devices. There is more than one method of band steering used by enterprise AP's, but Cisco Meraki (which we have at work) basically does it by not advertising the SSID on 2.4Ghz, which means that 2.4Ghz only passive scanning devices will not find the network unless there are other 2.4Ghz devices in active communication with the network around the same time:

Dual band operation with Band Steering detects clients capable of 5 GHz operation and steers them to that frequency which leaves the more crowded 2.4 GHz band available for legacy clients. This …

Note: Some wireless devices use passive scanning instead of active scanning because it consumes less power. A single band 2.4GHz wireless client that employs passive scanning may not be able to detect the wireless network with Band Steering enabled because the beacon frames do not advertise the wireless network.
                                At work we have a laptop which is 2.4Ghz only in an area where there are no other 2.4Ghz only devices and if all other devices have been successfully steered to 5Ghz, (usually there is at least one that stayed on 2.4Ghz) the laptop will sometimes fail to find the network at all. All it takes is one other 2.4Ghz client, or any other network broadcasting on 2.4Ghz within range and it will suddenly find the network as it will provoke the laptop into doing an active scan...

If you're using Enterprise grade AP's at home your best bet would be to set up a separate SSID just for the Evotouch to connect to which is 2.4Ghz only and/or doesn't have band steering enabled. In my experience all methods of band steering have some side effects in specific circumstances so it's best to avoid it when not needed, like with the Evotouch.
                                Last edited by DBMandrake; 14 April 2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X