• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.Harrison
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2016

Web server access issues

Hi,

I frequently get problems when trying to connect with the mobile app or with a PC browser where I get an error message saying "frequency of requests too high" on an otherwise blank page. I get these even when I have tried to log in for hours or even on that day.
    Anyone got any ideas what might be going on here and how I can stop it ? - as it's getting to be really annoying
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

we get this now & then ... not very often, but ...

more often we find we get a failure to logon message ('though we have been logged in & doing this & that for a while) - tapping the back-arrow & trying again usually works ...

responsiveness can often be poor - we've always assumed because of network problems (Internet, or WiFi), 'though it's never been clear what ... and it's when it is poor & we tap a few times in the hope of getting a response, that we sometimes get the frequency of requests too high message ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 19 April 2017, 03:58 PM. Reason: clarification
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• M.Harrison
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • May 2016

Hi Chris,
      Using back never works for me - I don't think it has anything to do with the network as it makes no difference whether I'm using a PC on the same network or my phone either locally or remote via the internet

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yes, it does seem to be a WebServer problem, in Cortex - its buffer getting full, perhaps because it or Cortex otherwise is busy with something else ...

as a thought, are you using cameras ?
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 3 April 2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• marcuslee
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
          yes, it does seem to be a WebServer problem, in Cortex - its buffer getting full, perhaps because it or Cortex otherwise is busy with something else ...

as a thought, are you using cameras ?
          I turn off authentication, and have never had the "frequency of requests too high" on an otherwise blank page. But I do concur with the poor responsiveness every so often.

I don't run cameras on my Cortex, and indeed I think it's lightly loaded. I also suspect it's web server related.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

for all our authorised users, we leave "Sender Enable Verification" un-ticked ...

for all devices accessing via the WAN / Internet, we leave "This IP Address does not require logon" also unchecked, but we check it for all devices accessing via LAN / WiFi ...

we have twelve devices that access via LAN / WiFi, and three that access via WAN / Internet or via LAN / WiFi ...

all are set to "Not presence dependent" and "All the time" ...

all have "Web API Allow Access" ticked - 'though just now did discover a couple did not have this ticked, who knows since when ...

must admit, we find the various WebServer options are not always easy to understand - so choices sometimes difficult !

Comment

• Karam
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2005

Marcus, I'm aware that Vivian has PM'd you about this and pointed to some dev. version of Cortex to try something, but for wider audience: Incoming web server or web API requests are queued up in Cortex. They are released when serviced by Cortex. So some possible reasons for this message are: a) literally as it says - if for some reason there is a high frequency of requests which Cortex's normal processing speed cannot keep up with, or b) if the Cortex servicing process is being held up for some reason, or c) something else that is fooling the internal service/release process which we can't yet identify.

In Chris's case I'm aware that there is a lot going on, multiple tablets using the Web API (via the Android app) as well as a bunch of IP cameras (implemeted by a dev. version of the app...) and multiple routers in the path. We are aware of one particular issue - which is the IP camera component in Cortex holding up the servicing of web requests when it is trying to connect or reconnect to a camera (which can take variable time depending on the camera - app being not particularly good). Also, based on Chris's reports, I have some suspicion that there might be some correlation between inconsistent comunication links and the Android app causing some kind of element of such a symptom. However this latter part is conjecture on my part and one of those things which we haven't been able to re-create - for example by using a flaky 3G link or such. Meaning can't really prove that my suspicion is founded.

Marcus, in your case you say you have no cameras and its a lightly loaded Cortex and that it doesn't seem to make any difference if it is via a mobile connection or via the LAN or via a mobile browser (or the app?) or a PC browser. So as you say wouuld seem to suggest something at the Cortex PC end, but then what is special about your particular platform?

You also mention in your last post that you don't see the 'frequency of requests too high' report on an otherwise blank page. Does that mean that you often receive a blamk page when trying to access something? But also on other occasions when you are actually receiving populated pages you often get the 'frequency of requests too high' report? In some ways this would make sense since receiving a blank page suggests a broken communication so even the message wouldn't be able to get back to you. But then if you are getting blank pages regularly even over LAN then why so? One other possibility this has made me think about is - could there be something happening in your router? You might want to examine its settings and also try different port numbers. You can perhaps even try the standard port 80 for a little while to see if it has any effect on the symptoms. Also if you are using SSL you might want to ty operating without SSL for a little while to see if that has any effect. I can't see why these would cause a queue flood but easy things to try anyway.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

anyone recall how we can clear the situation when we do get the "frequency of requests too high" message (over & over) ... ??

Comment

Working...
                X