• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mylesm
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2015

Can someone please explain this

"Configuration Changes: A conventional ’S’ plan configuration has been modified with the replacement of the heating zone valve with an inline open/motorised closed valve connected in series to the existing HW BDR. The existing HW BDR has been disabled and unbound from the controller. When the HW BDR demands heat, the HW zone valve opens and the CH inline valves closes giving HW priority. A boiler relay has been established using an Opentherm bridge - a 5 minute job."

If the HW BDR is unbound how does it call for heat what am I missing

Thanks Mylesm

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Originally posted by mylesm View Post
      Can someone please explain this

"Configuration Changes: A conventional ’S’ plan configuration has been modified with the replacement of the heating zone valve with an inline open/motorised closed valve connected in series to the existing HW BDR. The existing HW BDR has been disabled and unbound from the controller. When the HW BDR demands heat, the HW zone valve opens and the CH inline valves closes giving HW priority. A boiler relay has been established using an Opentherm bridge - a 5 minute job."

If the HW BDR is unbound how does it call for heat what am I missing

Thanks Mylesm
      The HW BDR is bound to the controller. It is the CH BDR that has been unbound from the controller. CH is controlled by the HR92s/Evohome and an OT Boiler Relay. My mistake: sorry for the confusion. I need to preview my posts.

Comment

• mylesm
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
        The HW BDR is bound to the controller. It is the CH BDR that has been unbound from the controller. CH is controlled by the HR92s/Evohome and an OT Boiler Relay. My mistake: sorry for the confusion. I need to preview my posts.
        Thanks for that I am in a position of replacing my Boiler and considering OT If intergas resolved their issues I would like to get one of their Boilers but your solution is good to prevent overshoots in CH due to increased Flow Temp when HW is called

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Thanks for that I am in a position of replacing my Boiler and considering OT If intergas resolved their issues I would like to get one of their Boilers but your solution is good to prevent overshoots in CH due to increased Flow Temp when HW is called
          Have a look at Atag. It is a very good boiler with a 10 year warranty.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
            Site Sponsor
            • Dec 2014

Intergas is a better built boiler and ECO RF comes with a 10 year out of box warranty. Intergas remind me of family when I am around them and this is the ethos of their business (and why we sell them). Lets be clear, there is no fault with OpenTherm and Intergas - Intergas is a great OpenTherm boiler.

Hot water priority is a must with OpenTherm and people do this differently. I prefer my method of an inverse 3 port diverter, but some use a normally open 2 port valve on the CH side and a normally closed 2 port valve on the hot water side - when the hot water valve opens, the heating valve is powered closed (all from one BDR91 and some clever wiring).
            Last edited by The EVOHOME Shop; 1 August 2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• mylesm
              Automated Home Guru
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
              Intergas is a better built boiler and ECO RF comes with a 10 year out of box warranty. Intergas remind me of family when I am around them and this is the ethos of their business (and why we sell them). Lets be clear, there is no fault with OpenTherm and Intergas - Intergas is a great OpenTherm boiler.

Hot water priority is a must with OpenTherm and people do this differently. I prefer my method of an inverse 3 port diverter, but some use a normally open 2 port valve on the CH side and a normally closed 2 port valve on the hot water side - when the hot water valve opens, the heating valve is powered closed (all from one BDR91 and some clever wiring).
              I understood from other threads here that intergas opentherm was problematic with multi zone evohome which i have

I think the ECO RF is a combi but can be set up to work as a Open Vent boiler with indirect Cylinder for hot water storage is this correct if true what do I do with the combi hot water connections

Comment

• blowlamp
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Apr 2017

I understood from other threads here that intergas opentherm was problematic with multi zone evohome which i have

I think the ECO RF is a combi but can be set up to work as a Open Vent boiler with indirect Cylinder for hot water storage is this correct if true what do I do with the combi hot water connections
                Simply leave them disconnected.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                  Site Sponsor
                  • Dec 2014

I have been testing our system for over 2 weeks now and there is no issue with Intergas - the problems seem to have occurred because of the way evohome was configured with it. Automated Home members are more than welcome to see my setup at our shop in Mid Wales.

As blowlamp has said, the ECO RF is the best one to get as it has a 10 year out the box warranty (until December 31st) and then simply change the settings so it works with an Open Vent and don't connect the hot and cold water tails - https://theintergasshop.co.uk/interg...24-049517.html

Comment

• HenGus
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • May 2014

Richard - with respect, you would say that about Intergas boilers as you sell them. I would have chosen the RF Eco had it not been for the fact that the manufacturer's UK technical department confirmed to me in writing that there is an issue with Evohome/Opentherm. This was also confirmed to me by your good friend Dan. That said, I am pleased that you think that you have solved the Intergas/Evohome Opentherm problem.

FWiW, Atag has won numerous awards in the Netherlands for its boilers, and the IS Range also comes with a free 10 year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the Icon heat exchanger. Many installers now rate Atag as a premium boiler manufacturer. Having said that, I live 5 miles away from WB and I have yet to find an installer in my area that has anything bad to say about their products.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                      Site Sponsor
                      • Dec 2014

Richard - with respect, you would say that about Intergas boilers as you sell them. I would have chosen the RF Eco had it not been for the fact that the manufacturer's UK technical department confirmed to me in writing that there is an issue with Evohome/Opentherm. This was also confirmed to me by your good friend Dan. That said, I am pleased that you think that you have solved the Intergas/Evohome Opentherm problem.

FWiW, Atag has won numerous awards in the Netherlands for its boilers, and the IS Range also comes with a free 10 year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the Icon heat exchanger. Many installers now rate Atag as a premium boiler manufacturer. Having said that, I live 5 miles away from WB and I have yet to find an installer in my area that has anything bad to say about their products.
                      Hengus, we decided to sell Intergas boilers 4 years ago before these 'issues' were even looked into, it has just taken time to get us where we are with them.

The reasons I choose Intergas over the others is because they are a simply brilliant boiler - Which? Top 5, Intergas won an award last year for the HRE (which is same as ECO RF), Intergas are winning numerous social housing contracts in the UK over Worcester & Vaillant because of their sheer robustness, they have a design life of 20 years, 4 moving parts, no plate to plate or diverter... Do I need to go on lol?

Atag have only come into the equation for installers because they sell direct, but if you ask the majority of installers about them they will state that they are being pressurised by reps for sales numbers. I personally don't like their design and I shall watch and wait to see what happens should they ever break down out of warranty, as you can't just walk into parts centre and get bits. Intergas only have a handful of parts (which are the same across the entire range) and we stock those too!

I am gutted that you didn't go with the ECO RF because of the confusion that was surrounding all this at the time. I am unsure why it has taken me to resolve this, but the situation is now being resolved.

Comment

• fergie
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Mar 2017

Very interesting to read and I'm glad a solution was found for the IG issue. I was in the same boat as Hengus and went for the Atag as I simply could not hold off any longer.

I have head and read certain stories about the which awards and I've also seen some very marmite reviews of the IS design - supposedly it was dumped by all other manufacturers. Ultimately though I would have gone with the eco RF over the Atag iS32 as it would have saved me £500.

Assuming it works well during the winter (heating currently off) I will be very happy. I certainly have no issues with water demand.

Comment

• HenGus
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • May 2014

Originally posted by fergie View Post
                          Very interesting to read and I'm glad a solution was found for the IG issue. I was in the same boat as Hengus and went for the Atag as I simply could not hold off any longer.

I have head and read certain stories about the which awards and I've also seen some very marmite reviews of the IS design - supposedly it was dumped by all other manufacturers. Ultimately though I would have gone with the eco RF over the Atag iS32 as it would have saved me £500.

Assuming it works well during the winter (heating currently off) I will be very happy. I certainly have no issues with water demand.
                          If consumer organisation awards are anything to go by, Atag has won 'best boiler in The Netherlands' for the last 7 years. I also note that, as of this month, 10 year warranties (parts and labour) are now standard on all their boiler models. Good decision/bad decision to go for an Atag - only time will tell.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                            Site Sponsor
                            • Dec 2014

If consumer organisation awards are anything to go by, Atag has won 'best boiler in The Netherlands' for the last 7 years. I also note that, as of this month, 10 year warranties (parts and labour) are now standard on all their boiler models. Good decision/bad decision to go for an Atag - only time will tell.
                            Well I am struggling to find these awards? ATAG's website describes them as 'consumer awards' and we all know from Which? that these can be bias and not actually based on anything really scientific...

Ask any good chemist and they will tell you aluminium is not a good metal to use in heating systems, yet Worcester Bosch were voted top of Which?!?! This just shows me there is a lack of actual knowledge about the engineering behind the appliance. I have looked at ATAG, but nothing really impresses me about them for the money they cost.

But like you said I am bias towards Intergas as we sell them, but at least this is based on my own engineering knowledge and not just because I like the company logo or the installer told me it was a good boiler. Anyone is welcome to come here and see first hand why I think they are so good...

Comment

• blowlamp
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                              Well I am struggling to find these awards? ATAG's website describes them as 'consumer awards' and we all know from Which? that these can be bias and not actually based on anything really scientific...

Ask any good chemist and they will tell you aluminium is not a good metal to use in heating systems, yet Worcester Bosch were voted top of Which?!?! This just shows me there is a lack of actual knowledge about the engineering behind the appliance. I have looked at ATAG, but nothing really impresses me about them for the money they cost.

But like you said I am bias towards Intergas as we sell them, but at least this is based on my own engineering knowledge and not just because I like the company logo or the installer told me it was a good boiler. Anyone is welcome to come here and see first hand why I think they are so good...
                              Didn't HenGus buy his Atag in an effort to work around a perception (at the time) that Evohome/OpenTherm wasn't compatible with Intergas boilers? On that basis, I think he probably found the best boiler for his needs.

Comment

• HenGus
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by blowlamp View Post
                                Didn't HenGus buy his Atag in an effort to work around a perception (at the time) that Evohome/OpenTherm wasn't compatible with Intergas boilers? On that basis, I think he probably found the best boiler for his needs.
                                I am very pleased with the boiler and my choice of installer. As I have said before, the Eco RF ‘fault’ was confirmed in an e-mail by Intergas UK Technical Support; an Intergas boiler guru and on Richard’s own forum. As far as I am concerned, the Intergas/Atag decision point for me is long past so there is little point in me continuing with a debate about which manufacturer makes the better boiler.
                                Last edited by HenGus; 4 August 2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X